Replacing a P77 A&R on a Rega Planar 3

cisamcgu

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I have an old Rega planar 3, probably about 30 years old and the cartridge/stylus is shot. Yesterday the TT suddenly sounded dreadful, I lifted the arm, checked the stylus for dust/debris and was a little shocked when I couldn't see the stylus tip - I'm not sure if it has worn away, broken off or what - but as far as I can see it has gone :O (I'll see if I can get a pucture)

Well, I presume I need a new one and the question is - do I try and get the stylus fixed or splash out on a new cartrige, and if so which one ?

It looks as if I can get a replacement for £31.50 from http://www.musonic.co.uk/stylus-styli-needles-ar-c-1_65.html

But would I be better off getting a new one ? I know they will cost £75+ but is it worth it ? I wouldn't want to spend more than about £100 though

Any thoughts ?

Andrew

cisamcgu

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I shall watch that thread with interest. Although, after peering at the stylus with a magnifying glass night night, I think I was wrong with my orginal assumption that the tip had gone, but rather it is just very small compared to the stylus on an old Pioneer PL-12 that I have at the moment. The sound it makes is definately not as clear as it was a few days ago, so something has happened.

I shall hold my powder dry for the moment, but I am tempted by an ortofon M2 Red at about £85.

Thanks

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
I also have a Planar 3, with the S-shaped R200 arm, and have just replaced my old cartridge for a Nagaoka MP110, and I'm very happy with it. They're around £85. Good luck.

cisamcgu

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Still haven't made my mind up :) £31.50 for a new stylus or about £85 for a Nagaoka MP100 .. choices .. choices .. or perhaps a REGA Bias-2 ?

Andrew

In my humble opinion if your P77 is as old as the deck, and it probably is I'd guess, then you would be much better off replacing the whole thing right now. Bite the bullet and buy a new Nagaoka MP110 as recommended in previous posts.

This is a much better all-round cartridge than the P77 and you are only likely to encounter more problems in the future if you purely replace the stylus on the A&R.

Also I'd suggest you forget the Rega Bias......

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I will echo Al ears opinion, the Bias 2 is poor IMO, save the £35 towards a Nagaoka MP110 - the best cartridge IMO and wipes the floor with the Rega Elys 2 as well as the Bias 2.

TRENDING THREADS