Replacements for Shure SE210

rowlers

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Currently got a set of SE210 IEM.

I've loved every minute listening to them.

They are approaching end of life and looking for replacements; I'd quite like to try sme bigger 'phones and was all set on a pair of AKG K451s, but as well as rave reviews they have some truly awful ones! I'm also conscious that that may be a downgrade to the 210s...

So what should I be looking at around the price range of the K451s? I looked at som many reviews now and going around in circles!

Need to be closed back, so I don't p|ss of colleagues at work, need to be foldable and offer a little bit of isolation.

Will be used 95% with smart phone and good quality mp3s.

FYI: I've tried a pair of Soundmagic PL50s and found them lacking any Bass and clarity. I've recently tried my Dads Fidelio X1 and found them to be fabulous, truly unbeleivable! This may give an insight to what I like the sound of..

thanks

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I demoed a pair of Musical Fidelity MF-100 yesterday and was very impressed. Compared them directly to an AKG K511 and there was no question the MF was vastly superior.

They sounded good, with tight bass, sweet mids and treble on an iPhone, through a Leema Tucana II amp and also through and MF headphone amp. Nicely made too.

They aren't available for a couple of weeks, brand new launch. They will be £120.

http://www.musicalfidelity.com/mf-100/

At a bit more there is the Audio-Technica ES-7 and the AIAIAI TMA-1, which I rate very highly too.

All of these are on-ear so there will be sound leakage. To be completely sound-proof they will need to be over-ear and closed-back ie Audio-Technica A500X, Beyerdynamic DT440 or AIAIAI TMA-1 Young Guru.

rowlers

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for that - more to look at! :)

So can you say, that the K451s (or phones in this price range) would be on a par with the se210s, or do I need to be spending upwards of £100?

thanks

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
rowlers said:
Thanks for that - more to look at! :)

So can you say, that the K451s (or phones in this price range) would be on a par with the se210s, or do I need to be spending upwards of £100?

thanks

I coudn't tell you tbh as I haven't heard either. The K451s have had good write-ups, and I actually use Shure buds which I really like, more so than the more bassy buds that are around today.

Shure have a very neutral sound to me as a brand, AKG are also a very good brand and you can get the K451 for £50 ish nowadays which looks like stunning value.

It really is up to you what you want to spend, it does get better the more you spend, but as always it's diminishing returns. I personally would go for an ES-7 or the AIAIAI TMA-1 which are both brilliant.

rowlers

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks again.

Just tried my dad SoundMagic PL50s and Senn CX300.

Really couldn't get away with them. didn't fit very well, tried all the different buds, so complete lack of detail/bass/isolation.

More I think about it, I'll probably just get some Shure 215s, as I know the fit/sound.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
rowlers said:
Thanks again.

Just tried my dad SoundMagic PL50s and Senn CX300.

Really couldn't get away with them. didn't fit very well, tried all the different buds, so complete lack of detail/bass/isolation.

More I think about it, I'll probably just get some Shure 215s, as I know the fit/sound.

I got some 215s for my son. They are very good.

rowlers

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Update..

Just took delivery of a pair of se215s, holy moley what an improvement on the se210s!

Fitting them in your ears is a little more fiddly, but build is really nice, sounds nicley rounded and full sounding.

Loads of meaty base, but lots more detail than the se210s. They blow the CX300 II and the PL50s out of the water.

Well happy...

TRENDING THREADS