Replacement Speakers/CD Upgrade

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a Marantz CD63 MkII KI Signature CD player, Audiolab 8000S integrated amp and Monitor Audio PMC700 speakers (all approx 13-15 years old), Cable Talk interconnect and Cable Talk 4 cables. One of the speakers has blown so I'm thinking of replacing them with possibly B&W 685, 684 or MA RS6. My room is 12' x 12' but the speakers have to sit in alcoves by the fire place so bass boom can be an issue. I'm also now considering whether it is worth replacing the CD with the Cyrus CD6SE? I assume that would leave the amp as the weak link but could upgrade later with a power or pre-amp with the 8000S, but don't know if that would just be a waste of money and I would just be better to replace it. I listening to a wide range of music, but mostly classical, particularly violin concertos. I have a fairly flexible budget. Any thoughts?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

My suggestion would be to buy the 685s, and then the Cyrus CD6SE and then when fund permit, buy a new integrated amplifier - I would advise, for classical, the Cyrus 8 vs2 or the Cambridge Audio Azur 840A vs 2.0.

I would think the 684s and RS6s would be a bit too boomy in such a space.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
if you could accomodate them, maybe you should consider speakers that require some space behind them. i'm thinking that maybe you could then position them just in front of the alcoves, and maybe this would reduce the bass boom. my dynaudio focus 110's require about 50 cm between them and the rear wall, and i would imagine the new excite range would be the same. also, consider pmc db1i, good tonal balance and an excellent tweeter - detailed and realistic sounding. proac studio 110's are brilliant speakers with a slightly bass light tonal balance, and might be just the ticket with regard to not encouraging the bass boom.

i notice you have a square room, are you sure it is boom from the alcoves and not resonance? i only ask as a square room is about the worst shape for resonance. if you do have a resonance problem you should be able to control it with suitable room treatment.

A

Anonymous

Thanks. After a bit more research I was beginning to realize stand mounters definitely look the way to go. I'll begin with checking out speakers around the B&W 685 price first and see how I get on. That way I'll have some more scope for upgrading other bits. I presently have the speakers on Atacama SE24's (sand filled) so might be worth upgrading these? I think the boom is from the alcoves because the PMC700's I have are rear ported, blowing into the alcove and causing the boom. Once I put cuddly toy wadding into the port it sorted virtually all of it out. The room isn't totally square as the 12' across goes into a bay window, so one speaker is slightly more central to the room than the other, which is right in the corner. Once I get the new speakers I will probably get a better idea if there is a resonance problem.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts