Replacement Receiver for Onkyo 905

Sliced Bread

My fantastic Onkyo 905 has started to develop an intermittent picture fault. From what I can gather from screenshots on the internet, it's a fault with the HDMI board which costs between 400 and 1000 pound to fix :(

I need to figure out if it's worth it, or whether it should be replaced.

Does anyone with any experience of the 905 or 875 know how much needs to be spent to match (or maybe exceed) the performance?

Hugs go out to the first repliers :)

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I found the Pioneer AV's work really well with our speakers. If you are looking for a good bargain then I suggest you use Pioneers trade in offer. They will take your faulty AV and give you cash for it. Otherwise you could sell it on yourself.

I found this deal for a friend of mine recently which I thought was really good, considering its £200 cheaper than everyone else, but no trade in offer, which is not really an issue ;)

http://www.exceptional-av.co.uk/index.php?search_terms=lx56&search_submit.x=0&search_submit.y=0&search_submit=Search

Is this the kind of money you are looking to spend?

The onkyo 818 is the next best AV in this bracket I would say.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey :)

Yes the top end is tight and controlled, allowing for a deep punchy bass to come through also. You hear everything, slap on spiderman 2, the first goblin fight, and you can hear every shred of glass fly across the room as Peter Parker is smashed through a window. The detail is incredible on these amps and I find it to be a natural pairing. Not even the Arcam 500 (demoed at the time) could serve up such treat.

Give that AV and the onkyo a demo. Both control the brightness of the CM series well. Musically, the pioneer performs well too! Almost to a music amp level.

You can't go wrong either way :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
duaplex said:
I found this deal for a friend of mine recently which I thought was really good, considering its £200 cheaper than everyone else, but no trade in offer, which is not really an issue ;)

http://www.exceptional-av.co.uk/index.php?search_terms=lx56&search_submit.x=0&search_submit.y=0&search_submit=Search

Oh, I don't know about that :)

http://www.hifix.co.uk/home-cinema-amplifiers/pioneer/sclx56.html

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
For an equivalent (or even improvement) to the 905 in terms of processing etc, the TXNR818 will certainly do the job. It will be a great improvement on the music side of things, and the onboard XT32 room EQ processing will bring you much more than you've heard before, especially as you use arger speakers. But as far as amplification is concerned, you'll need to be looking at the TXNR1010. Sadly, there's nothing sitting between the 818 and 1010 at the moment, so you're a little stuck, but the outgoing TXNR1009 model can be had nearer to the 818 price.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Very nice deal!

I like both companies. Both have their merits. I like onkyo option presented too. Worth looking into!

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Yes the A1020. It is another very good contender. It's in the same price bracket too. It needs to be on your demo list as Yamaha has really produced a quality amp there. I head that with an RX6 package and loved it.

All three sound different and it will come down to preference. If you like the sound of your Onkyo you will probably lean towards the 818, that's my feeling.

Go forth and demo :)

Sliced Bread

Thanks Duaplex. I've lost track of amplifiers as I've not been looking for a while.

The rush has now gone as I've found that if I assign the bluray player to a different imput and assign the output to the second HDMI out on the receiver the issue disapears.

It's not a good sign though, but at least it means I can take my time choosing :)

I'm looking forward to trying the Pioneers and Yamaha's. While I have not written off Onkyo (as I love the sound and current these amps have on tap), I may try something different this time as I expect a 1400 pound receiver to last more than 4 years. If I cannot find another receiver I like as much, then I will return to Onkyo.

If I have to spend money I might as well go for an upgrade too :bounce:

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
If you have £1400 then you can move up to the LX76 ;)

I agree, I will upgrade my own LX83 when 4k becomes more mainstream, or If i decide to go for 7.1 and have my fonts biamped. At the moment there is no real need.

However, for the sake of conversation, you have a range of options available. The good news is the newest technology has only been introduced to the new amps..... But I wonder how long it will be before they start producing 8k amps :?

New list for you:

Pioneer LX76
Yamaha A2020
Onkyo 818

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts