replacement AIWA XR-M10

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Dear all,

I have not bought a Hifi system in over 14 years and need to find a replacement to my AIWA XR-M10 (350 pounds at the time). While I am sure technology has evolved since then, I have to say I am a little bit lost as to what would constitute a suitable alternative. Depending on price, I would be willing to invest more money in a system as I would like to keep it for the years to come. It is to be used in a bedroom with an Iphone or plugged to a laptop (SPDIF plug).

I notably came accross two different systems and I am unsure how these would rank against my current AIWA.

Cambridge Audio AM1

Denon D-M39 system

What would you advise as regards to the speakers.

Many thanks for your feedback

matthewpiano

I'd advise against the Cambridge Topaz range. The amps suffer from poor channel balance at lower volume levels and you can do better.

The Denon D-M39DAB is a good choice. Pair it with some good speakers such as Dali Zensor 1s or Boston A25 (or A26) and you'll hear a vast improvement from your Aiwa system. The Denon system will comfortably out-perform the Cambridge AM10 amplifier.

If you can stretch a bit further it would be worth considering the Marantz M-CR603. This is a good step-up from the little Denon with regards to sound, and adds some useful functionality such as Airplay, and streaming capabilities. The Denon CEOL system (RCD-N8 ) is a similar alternative. Both work really nicely with the Boston Acoustics A25 speakers or, if you wish to push things even further, the KEF Q100s.

Hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for your reply I really appreciate it.

The fact that you included products which are associated with different price target is particularly useful.

I really like the Denon D-M39DAB and would probably go for the Dali Zensor 1s.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of improvement can I expect compare to my old setup in terms of sound quality?

A

Anonymous

recif2000, did your Aiwa give up the ghost entirely? Have you considered repairing it? I have the same Aiwa and I recently had it repaired. Over the years I have increasingly come to appreciate the sound that little stereo can put out. People tend to scoff at the mention of Aiwa, but most of them won't have heard ours. In any case, I hope you don't send yours to a landfill -- at least sell it or give it to someone who can repair it or use it for parts. Also, you might consider using the speakers with another system. Or perhaps if it's still working you could put the Aiwa to use in a room where you haven't had a stereo before. It has two sets of inputs, so you could connect something like a Logitech Squeezebox Touch to it, and even an iPod at the same time. It's not 'all digital', of course -- but it will still sound great. Good luck!

A

Anonymous

Hehe, I would like to reassure you that my XR-M10 is all well and sound in another country. Having being unable to source a new unit on ebay, I decided it s time to upgrade to what modern technology has to offer :)

matthewpiano

recif2000 said:
Many thanks for your reply I really appreciate it.

The fact that you included products which are associated with different price target is particularly useful.

I really like the Denon D-M39DAB and would probably go for the Dali Zensor 1s.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of improvement can I expect compare to my old setup in terms of sound quality?

I think you'll hear a more controlled, more detailed, and more insightful sound with more precise location of instruments and vocals within the soundstage. If you really like the Aiwa it would be worth trying to audition the new combo before you buy, just to make sure it suits you but beware anything new takes a bit of time to get used to.

A

Anonymous

smiley-smile.gif
Well when you make your decision please let us know your impressions of your new system. That Denon does look nice!

A

Anonymous

Sure thing! I do plan to test it out a shop first

Many thanks for everyone feedback. People are great on this forum!

I thought I was going to get 'attacked' for having an out of date system

A

Anonymous

Hi I have a question here for the forum, non related to the above, I hope the above was sorted out by the way, is there anyone who can help? My Z-1800 aiwa hi fi that I bought in December 1995 from Dixons has developed a problem with the cd player, the cd slide mechanism keeps opening the tray won't rotate to load the cds, it's a standard rotary tray, the hi is black, dixons and currys sold loads of them in the mid to late nineteen nineties. I presume that I have a cd player belt issue/problem?

I phoned up mastercare coverplan ppl and thre have been taken over/merged/changed the name to knowhow, my plan ran out in the December of 2007, I had the belt replaced in the cd player in the April of 1999 so I think it's the same issue all over again, I phoned SONY up today and they say the same as knowhow that the hi fi is now too old to bother repairing, ie is obsolete, any ideas where I can get it reliably repaired, I live in Gloucestershire?

Thanks

Roger

PAULCHRISTOPHER

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi I have just tipped an old Technics Amplifier as I could not get a part for it.Some parts are still available but not what I wanted.

Currys Partsmaster have many tens of thousands of parts. If you check your model number it will give you all the parts that are available. This might give you an idea as to whether it could be repaired or not.

JUST CHECKED - NOTHING FOR AIWA - Sorry

A

Anonymous

Hi Roger

Unless you know of a good electronics / hifi repair shop, it might be time to get something new....though you'd end up spending £500 if you wanted a turntable and cassette deck. If you only play CDs and listen to the radio, go for a newer mini hifi. At least you'll have peace of mind of a guarantee.

http://www.richersounds.com/products/hi-fi-separates/separates/mini-hifi

A

Anonymous

Recif, I'd check out the Onkyo CR-N755 also, £200 excluding speakers, it can also stream from a music server, mobile device and has internet radio.

Speaker wise, Wharfedale Diamonds 9.1s, Tannoy Merury V1, Q Acoustics 2010/20s....

A

Anonymous

Thanks, I will try and get hold of a few more technical hotline phone numbers, and continue surfing the internet for anymore ideas on how to repair my Z-1800 aiwa hi fi.

If anyone knows of any other route that I can take, please get in touch.

Roger

A

Anonymous

Catharguy, don't give up, it's probably a relatively simple fix. I would say look for a small local repair shop that will fix it. Many of them might say they won't fix it because it's not worth their time or the stereo is too old to be worth fixing, but if you keep looking you'll probably find someone who will repair it at a fair price. I have also seen videos on YouTube about repairing such problems. Good luck and please report back on your results!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts