Repairing old Kenwood CD-Player

clegtr

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi, so a couple of months ago, I bought an old Kenwood CD player and a Tapedeck for 5 euros combined. Surprisingly, the CD player is not working :roll: and has been lying around my house ever since. I am now trying to repair it myself and wondered if anyone could help me.

The problem is that, quite simply, it doesn't turn on. I have opened it but i have no idea what to look for and how to check what's working and what isn't.

Now, before anyone says that fixing it isn't worth it or I should just get another one, I'm doing this solely for the challenge and gratification.

I can also post pics if required.

Thanks for any answers :cheers:

gramps23

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
In my humble opinion, it's probably not a good idea to try and tackle the job, unless you have experience in such matters. The problem could be something very simple, like a dry joint, or more serious, like an electronic component that's failed.

If you are really set on doing the job yourself, then you'll need some basic equipment, like a multimeter and soldering iron, then the servicing manual for the CD player, which you should be able to download as a PDF from the net, and will give you details on how to go about repairing it, with exploded views, circuit diagrams and component lists etc.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

clegtr

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Thank you, even if I ruin the whole player by trying to repair it, it wouldn't a great loss. I will buy a multimeter when I have the chance and look at the service manuals. Is there anything I have to pay attention to, regarding security?

gramps23

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
clegtr said:
Is there anything I have to pay attention to, regarding security?

Don't leave the front door unlocked?! :rofl: Sorry, couldn't resist...

Not sure I understand what you mean by 'security', many apologies. Can you explain please?

clegtr

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
gramps23 said:
clegtr said:
Is there anything I have to pay attention to, regarding security?

Don't leave the front door unlocked?! :rofl: Sorry, couldn't resist...

Not sure I understand what you mean by 'security', many apologies. Can you explain please?

:grin: haha, sorry, I wasn't clear there. I read someplace, that there are parts (at least in amplifiers) that can store electricity for quite some time, even when the device is being unplugged (capacitors?).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts