Removing smoke odour from equipment?

T

the record spot

Just received a bit of kit in the post, which unfortunately reeks of smoke odour. This isn't an anti-smoking rant, but I want to be able to get rid of the odour from the equipment (it's a BT Mains Conditionin Unit - see the Accessories sub-forum for the history on this purchase!). If I can't get rid of it, the unit's going. Bought off Ebay, and there is of course the side issue that the seller should have made this clear. Another matter.

Thought it might be useful here as some other reads might be in the same position at some point.

So, does anyone have any good tips for removing the odour - air freshener is out; we don't use it. Currently got all the windows open, but not ideal at this time of year!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We had this when we bought an item from a smoker... After looking around on t'web, I used a clean cloth dampened with a bleach solution (the ammonia is important, apparantly), which did the trick for the external surfaces (wear gloves!). That won't do much for any labels etc, though...

I've also heard that placing kit in a box with some activated charcoal (eg cat litter!) can help, as the charcoal absorbs the odours...

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
the record spot:Just received a bit of kit in the post, which unfortunately reeks of smoke odour. This isn't an anti-smoking rant, but I want to be able to get rid of the odour from the equipment (it's a BT Mains Conditionin Unit - see the Accessories sub-forum for the history on this purchase!). If I can't get rid of it, the unit's going. Bought off Ebay, and there is of course the side issue that the seller should have made this clear. Another matter.

Thought it might be useful here as some other reads might be in the same position at some point.

So, does anyone have any good tips for removing the odour - air freshener is out; we don't use it. Currently got all the windows open, but not ideal at this time of year!

You won't get any joy with ebay. The seller is not obliged to explain that they smoke but can enhance a sale by saying that it's from a smoke free house. I bought some Chord Rumour a while back and it was yellow!

I think you will be hard pushed to get rid of the smell. White vinegar perhaps?

A

Anonymous

I bought some memory cards for my PC from an ebay seller and I know what you mean, they stank to an indescribable level of smoke
emotion-6.gif

I thought about slinging them but after a few weeks the stench subsided to zero so you may find time/use and ventilation will work.

Best wishes

Mike

A

Anonymous

I had this with a pc case i swapped with a friend. Took a while as they both smoked, but it did go eventually

T

the record spot

Thanks very kindly for all the tips; I'm not anti-smoking as such (my parents both did for years, although I never acquired the habit) and I wouldn't be looking to complain to Ebay.

I like the idea of a combined soft cloth-ammonia/bleach-white vinegar-cat litter solution though; at the very worst, it might not work, but conversely, Mrs R_S will at least have proof that I know how to wield some of the cleaning products at home!

A

Anonymous

the record spot: Mrs R_S will at least have proof that I know how to wield some of the cleaning products at home!Thats a slippery slope there! ;)

T

the record spot

Yoiks! You're right, forget I said that (rummages for the Edit button....)!

A

Anonymous

Sorry to hear that, a good clean of the outer case should do it (as suggested) but please with it switched off!!!

Perhaps then sticking a air freshener near to it will finish the job.

Do lets us know how good it makes your system sound.

PS Your TV could well draw too many amps to use along with your main AV amp. The unit has an internal auto reset if it does.

T

the record spot

It's purely for hifi Trevor; there's no AV amp (well, the DVD player is connected to the Marantz amp, so I get a film through the speakers but that's it) - unreconstructed 2-channel man here!

If it cleans up (tomorrow) well, I'll give it a few weeks to try it out, then compare it back to a standard 5 socket strip I used previously. I should notice the difference then. Might give it a chance to warm up a bit as well; for whatever difference that will make! How seriously is it possible to take all this?! lol.

It's been a good week for me on Ebay; bought this, sold my cable, and this funded my new speakers (a pair of mid-90s Missions that are a step up - just running them in now)!

A

Anonymous

reason may be water touching check it properly.................

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Do you have access to a greenhouse which is growing tomatoes?

Sounds daft I know but tomato plants are renowned for absobing smells for other items and plants

Leave the items in there where its dry for a few days and they'll be sorted
emotion-1.gif

We did this when I bought some 2nd hand car mats for my missus' car; there was nothing on the ad to say that the owner was a smoker but they STANK!

2 days in the greenhouse and all sorted; and TBH, I'd rather smell tomato plants than 2nd hand stale smoke
emotion-6.gif

matthewpiano

the record spot:It's purely for hifi Trevor; there's no AV amp (well, the DVD player is connected to the Marantz amp, so I get a film through the speakers but that's it) - unreconstructed 2-channel man here!

If it cleans up (tomorrow) well, I'll give it a few weeks to try it out, then compare it back to a standard 5 socket strip I used previously. I should notice the difference then. Might give it a chance to warm up a bit as well; for whatever difference that will make! How seriously is it possible to take all this?! lol.

It's been a good week for me on Ebay; bought this, sold my cable, and this funded my new speakers (a pair of mid-90s Missions that are a step up - just running them in now)!

Ooh, which Missions did you go for RS? 78-series by any chance?

T

the record spot

No Matthew, still got my 752s which are fine and doing well - sound stunning with the Sansui and the Marantz CDP.

This thread appears to have been resurrected today by Johnvilla above for some reason from the dim and distant depths of December 2008!

I'd bought the BT Mains Conditioning Unit off Ebay, but it didn't and hasn't delivered the goods (or at least I should say, more accurately, that the performance hasn't differed from the white mains block I use currently). Must ship it on I think.

On the plus side, it is now smoke free and smells as fresh as a daisy!

As for my experience with mains conditioners, plugs, blocks etc., I would be inclined to side with Rick from Musicraft's advice!

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
are there any reasons not to smoke in the room you have your kit in that would affect the sound quality or durability of the electronics? I appreciate that resale may be comprimised if they stink.

T

the record spot

None.

EDIT: Having said that, there will be some idea or notion on the web that'll propose that there is and you need to install an air conditioner. Check the calendar's not on April 1st!

T

the record spot

JohnDuncan:
That's what I said to the cats. Do they listen?

By a remarkable stroke of good fortune, they do. When it suits them. Bit of a downside, granted.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Actually, I've been meaning to ask how to get cat poop off the
Uniti...

From Naim...

"We use Astonish (or similar*) Glass & Tile cleaner.

Best applied sparingly with a pad of closed cell foam."

Typical.

I have never seen the 'Astonish' brand in a shop, and I have'nt a clue where to get a 'closed cell foam' pad. (Or know what it is.)

*And just how would I know if our Glass & Tile cleaner is similar to Astonish without a bottle of Astonish to compare?**
**Because then I would actually have the 'Astonish' and not need a bottle of... 'or similar'.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts