remove terminal links B&W CM8S2?

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
will it improve the soundquality if i remove the terminal links behind the speakers and this will replace by cable jumpers or bi-wiring?

And what will be better; bi-wiring or cable jumpers?

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
peterpan said:
will it improve the soundquality if i remove the terminal links behind the speakers and this will replace by cable jumpers or bi-wiring?

If you have disposable income, try it.... ;-)

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Here's a thought - B&W are a highly regarded manufacturer but on a pair of expensive speakers they have compromised the sound by providing you with a third rate method of linking the terminals when for a few pennies they could provide a better method.

If you really think this is a likely scenario then please feel free to spend your money on other solutions. If they were my speakers I would be saying "B&W really know what they are doing so why should I second guess them?".

Chris

PS Bi-wiring is a complete waste of time.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Covenanter said:
Here's a thought - B&W are a highly regarded manufacturer but on a pair of expensive speakers they have compromised the sound by providing you with a third rate method of linking the terminals when for a few pennies they could provide a better method.

If you really think this is a likely scenario then please feel free to spend your money on other solutions.  If they were my speakers I would be saying "B&W really know what they are doing so why should I second guess them?".

Chris

Excuse me O/P.....

Chris then why would B&W give one the option to try for one's self?

Why put two pairs of binding posts on the back of their speakers?

peterpan said:

As suggested if you have the money to biwre then try it. It never worked for me but you never know. The two pairs of terminals are best utilised by Bi-amping

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Covenanter said:

If you really think this is a likely scenario then please feel free to spend your money on other solutions. If they were my speakers I would be saying "B&W really know what they are doing so why should I second guess them?".

Chris

Excuse me O/P.....

Chris then why would B&W give one the option to try for one's self?

Why put two pairs of binding posts on the back of their speakers?

So that people can bi-amp which is perfectly sensible way of constructing a hifi. They may also have done it as a reaction to the craze for bi-wiring some years ago. Businessmen are quite mercenary! If a client wants something they can generally have it even if you know it's a waste of time.

Chris

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
But Chris c'mon - it won't hurt to just try it if you have the disposable income, why not?

To say it's a waste of time based on your own hearing is a little immature.
Better to say 'I heard no difference'.

I hear a difference and swear by it. That said I won't buy an amp without 2 pairs of speaker outs or speakers without 2 pair's of binding post for that reason.

Every speaker deserves its own cable.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Okay, i understand. It will be waste of money

another question. there are pre out on my amp. You can this replace by jumpers. Also waste of money?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I tried on a pair of B&W CM1 and it made no discernable difference to me personally.

If you want the perfect connection with the speaker, you should use bare wire and have the plus side go through both positive speaker terminals and the negative through both negative terminals. This way you get uninterupted connection between the speaker and the amplifier.

If you have nice banana plugs instead of bare wire and you want to buy nice wire links, you are effectively putting on jewelry on your speakers, which is ok if it makes you happy having it look great. No harm there.

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Al ears said:
peterpan said:

As suggested if you have the money to biwre then try it. It never worked for me but you never know. The two pairs of terminals are best utilised by Bi-amping

I totally agree

Maestroelite

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
I tried replacing the terminal links on my CM8's with a homemade jumper from my old Indigo+ Audioquest, and heard no difference at all.
(Speaker cable was Tellurium Q Black).

So go ahead and try it, you may gain something, or you may find out that the terminal links from B&W are just fine :eek:)

Reijer

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I removed the terminal links on my 685s2 and my wife (for her it was a blind test) loved the sound with the terminals connected with a piece of speakercable. I also loved the sound more with the bit of cable.

So try! Let your partner be the blindfoulded tester and find out. There are so many (dis)believers regarding cables so you have to try for yourself.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Made my DB1i sound worse. Made my 685 sound better, but when I tried the B&Ws again after my PMCs sounded worse I could hear no difference.

Conclusion: either my ears suddenly got worse or it was expectation bias to begin with.

Then again, who can argue with the audiophile's ultimate proof: the wife said test.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
But Chris c'mon - it won't hurt to just try it if you have the disposable income, why not?

To say it's a waste of time based on your own hearing is a little immature. Better to say 'I heard no difference'.

I hear a difference and swear by it. That said I won't buy an amp without 2 pairs of speaker outs or speakers without 2 pair's of binding post for that reason.

Every speaker deserves its own cable.

I'm old enough to remember when people swore that colouring your CDs with a green marker pen improved the sound!

However my substantive point remains. If this tweak works why wouldn't B&W (and others) supply links made of speaker cable? Why are they deliberately making their speakers sound worse than they might?

Chris

PS You can now get a machine that cuts a new bevel on the edge of your CDs and this apparently improves the sound dramatically. It's only £320 so it's a real bargain. Now why don't those damned CD manufacturers make CDs with the correct angled edges?

Covenanter said:
However my substantive point remains. If this tweak works why wouldn't B&W (and others) supply links made of speaker cable? Why are they deliberately making their speakers sound worse than they might?
. Fair point, Chris, but might it not simply be economy? At least this way anyone with standard speaker cable can get them up and running, until they decide to biwire. Much as amplifier manufacturers supply standard kettle leads, when costlier replacements might be better - see Naim.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
nopiano said:
Covenanter said:
. Fair point, Chris, but might it not simply be economy? At least this way anyone with standard speaker cable can get them up and running, until they decide to biwire. Much as amplifier manufacturers supply standard kettle leads, when costlier replacements might be better - see Naim.

It can't really be economy can it! You'd need what 6" of speaker cable each side so how much would that cost? Certainly less than having a solid jumper engineered and manufactured. My Kefs have an internal swivel mechanism which certainly must cost much more than any piece of cable.

As for Naim aren't they the mad ones who claim fuses work best different ways round in the Southern and Northern hemispheres?
teeth_smile.gif

Chris

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Apologies if this is a bit of a hijack, but I've never really understood biamping/biwiring. Both sets of signals in both cases still need to go to the crossover since they both contain all frequencies so I don't see the advantage. Sure two wires have a larger x-sec area, and in biamping you've got more power but bigger cables and a bigger amp does the same thing without the complexity, clutter and, in the case of biamping, a risk that the timing of the two amps is slightly different.

My education continues.....

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
splasher said:
Apologies if this is a bit of a hijack, but I've never really understood biamping/biwiring. Both sets of signals in both cases still need to go to the crossover since they both contain all frequencies so I don't see the advantage. Sure two wires have a larger x-sec area, and in biamping you've got more power but bigger cables and a bigger amp does the same thing without the complexity, clutter and, in the case of biamping, a risk that the timing of the two amps is slightly different.

My education continues.....

You are perfectly correct. There isn't any difference (except the impedance of the twin cables will be different from the single cable) but some people hear differences.

It's the major topic of debate on this CB. There are those who think that their ears are infallible (and their wives' ears too) and those who take a more scientific approach (of which I am one). It crops up in relation to cables, mains leads, isolation devices, and so on ad infinitum. Nobody wins these debates because it has a religious nature.

Chris

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
And removing the pre out 1 and pre out 2 back on the amp and replace it with pre amp jumpers like here?

http://www.futureshop.co.uk/audioquest-preamp-jumpers-p-5913.html#.VddXg5eGa1w

TRENDING THREADS