Remove brightness and increase bass at low volumes?

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi :)

On your recommendations last time I had an issue, I purchased a Pathos Logos amp, so as that worked out well, I'm hoping you can help again.

This is my system:

B+W n804, Pathos Logos, Arcam CD192, Arcam D33, Chord anthem tuned array digital, Atlas Mavros XLR from DAC to amp, Atlas Hyper bi-wire speaker cable.

All of my listening is done at low volumes, but after extended listening the sound becomes brighter (which I dislike) and lacking in bass weight and extension.

We've been told that the speakers are on the bright side, which would explain why I've always prefered a weighty and fuller sounding amp. So I'm thinking, perhaps these speakers are not condusive to quieter volume, relaxed listening?

I have considered a pair of B+W CM9 2's, would these give me the bass at lower volumes or just be a sidestep?

Maximum budget of £3,000, easiest solution wins cake :) also happy to go secondhand.

I'd love some imput from people who aren't trying to sell me something, and you have been so helpful in the past.

Thanks in advance :)

Barbapapa

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
There currently is a thread at pinkfishmedia http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=197055

which deals with a similar question, some relevant suggestions there although the situation is different.

I've also read in another thread somewhere that Harbeth and Spendor speakers would sound good at low volume, as would Trenner & Friedl Art, DeVore, and Totem. As this was just the opinion of someone on the Internet, only take this as possible tips for auditioning yourself.

Incidentally, I read somewhere that Amphion speakers were designed to (also) sound good at low volume. My personal experience supports this.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Before spending your hard earned perhaps try to listen off-axis and move the boxes further back towards a wall or corner.

Another thing worth trying is to fit a wave guide, easy with your speakers. Get a few small, 5 - 10mm diameter, self adhesive round sticky thingies (make sure they are slim enough as not to touch the tweeter membrane) and fit it behind the magnetic tweeter grille, right in the middle. Tweeters concentrate their highest output right there. You could stick the sticky thingy on the front but its neater behind. - I do this both with my Missions and Ushers.

It could be that the brightness you experience is more at upper mid/lower high and is actually eminating from the mid range driver in which case you can't do much other than listening off-axis.

It wont help you that I have never thought much of the B&W's I've heard (yours is not one of them) but the above might.

Unfortunately what you're describing is exactly how the ear works at lower volumes. (Google curves of equal loudness, or Fletcher-Munson for more on this.)

Quite a few amps have a loudness button that crudely attempts to compensate, but I imagine your amp is too sophisticated for that. I'd second the suggestion above to experiment with speaker positions before changing them - to something probably lesss accurate in order to boost the bass, which will then sound disappointing at louder levels.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
How low is low volume? At low enough volumes it could be due to your (everyone's) ears rather than the speakers.

because of how we perceive sound, at lower volumes most stereos sound thinner as our perception of bass drops off. A loudness function, or even using tone controls is an easy way to solve the issue, although it doesn't look like your amp has either.

Not saying this is definitely the cause, but it's worth keeping in mind when auditioning, especially when auditioning in environments that are noisier than your listening room.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts