Remote connection for Spotify?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all, hope you had a good Xmas.

My question is about Spotify. I currently listen on my PC which is in my back room, and I am wondering if there is some kind of remote/bluetooth option to send a wireless signal to a double RCA connection in the back of my Hi Fi. Anyone know where I can get one and how much they cost. Many thanks.

John Duncan

Hi Cidershed. There are various options but the most reliable (in my experience) is the combination of Airport Express and Airfoil software. They are getting a bit more expensive now though - an Airport Express is about £70, and the Airfoil will cost you $25.

You could try something like the Oono Transmita, which is certainly cheaper, but I can't vouch for its efficacy.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
JD, would you or anyone else care to remind me how I can control Spofify into hi-fi from my iPhone?

My two current modes of Spofify/hifi listening are:
1) streamed using Airfoil into AE and onwards to hifi
2) iPhone into hifi via mini-jack to RCA

1) brings my DAC into play but no control over what's playing unless I hoof upstairs

2) offers much flexibility and a few feet stroll but no DAC-enhanced audio.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply Mr Duncan. Looking at the airport express, a couple of questions. It looks like it needs to be plugged into a powerpoint and, can it connect to double RCAs or will it need to go through a DAC?

John Duncan

Charlie Jefferson:JD, would you or anyone else care to remind me how I can control Spofify into hi-fi from my iPhone?

My two current modes of Spofify/hifi listening are:
1) streamed using Airfoil into AE and onwards to hifi
2) iPhone into hifi via mini-jack to RCA

1) brings my DAC into play but no control over what's playing unless I hoof upstairs

2) offers much flexibility and a few feet stroll but no DAC-enhanced audio.

Well I remain unconvinced that Spotify via iPhone/ipod Touch is as high quality as via PC, but that may be a moot point. Am still waiting for Spotify to release a remote app to allow you to control one's PC, but in the meantime I either a) walk to the kitchen to control it or b) use my laptop to stream. I've experimented with a VNC client for iPod Touch (search for Mocha VNC Lite on the app store, and make sure you have a VNC server set up on your PC) which works reasonably well - albeit with about a quarter of the screen at a time - and may be the best way forward for you.

A

Anonymous

Just been on the apple website and I see plugging in is required, but still not clear on options to go into the amp. Also, they have software for connecting iphone to airport express....

John Duncan

Cidershed:Thanks for the reply Mr Duncan. Looking at the airport express, a couple of questions. It looks like it needs to be plugged into a powerpoint and, can it connect to double RCAs or will it need to go through a DAC?

It does need to be plugged into a powerpoint, yes - it comes with an adapter which makes it look like a plug-top power supply, but you can remove it and use a figure-of-eight mains lead if that suits better.

As for audio out, it has a headphone socket which can be used with a 3.5mm jack-to-2 x phono cable lead like this:

qedj2plarge.jpg

but that socket also doubles up as an optical out so you can plug it into a DAC at a later stage if you wish using a mini toslink to toslink cable (or with an adapter on the end of a normal optical cable)

1m-toslink-mini-toslink-cable.jpg

John Duncan

Cidershed:Also, they have software for connecting iphone to airport express....

Do you mean 'Remote'? Yes, install this on your iPhone or iPod touch and you can control iTunes running on your PC, which streams to airport express, thus giving you a fully remote controlled wireless solution. You need the PC running though, and it only controls iTunes - to control Spotify, see my earlier response to Charlie.

A

Anonymous

I've found VNC clients difficult to setup and occasionally unreliable. A good/slick alternative (albeit one which will cost you £18) is LogMeIn (www.logmein.com) which you can also use to remote control any Macs or PCs in your home/office. I've used it specifically to control Spotify in the absence of of dedicated remote control app and highly recommend it

John Duncan

lazarus1803:
I've found VNC clients difficult to setup and occasionally unreliable. A good/slick alternative (albeit one which will cost you £18) is LogMeIn (www.logmein.com) which you can also use to remote control any Macs or PCs in your home/office. I've used it specifically to control Spotify in the absence of of dedicated remote control app and highly recommend it

oh yes, we have it at work and it's great. however, it does cost money, is probably a bit over the top for this scenario, and I just typed this on my ipod touch using the VNC client mentioned above (albeit rather slowly
emotion-2.gif
)

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the sound advice. Just one more question for now, how is the signal sent from my PC to the airport express? Is any hardware required?

daveh75

Cidershed: Just one more question for now, how is the signal sent from my PC to the airport express? Is any hardware required?Either over a wireless network(wi-fi) or hardwired via ethernet cable.

A

Anonymous

So thats via a BT broadband hub for example? Sorry for my ignorance, this is new to me but sure sounds exciting to link Spotify to my hifi. Happy days!!

John Duncan

Cidershed:So thats via a BT broadband hub for example? Sorry for my ignorance, this is new to me but sure sounds exciting to link Spotify to my hifi. Happy days!!

Yes. Do you connect to your internet wirelessly at the moment?

A

Anonymous

Excellent, I'm just a coupla steps away from a whole new world of music! Many thanks WHF and members, Happy New Year!!

TRENDING THREADS