Relatively cheap phono pre-amp required

robbiehoops

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi all

I'm new to the forum though have regularly browsed looking for answers in the past. I'm about to make my first foray into vinyl since I was a kid.

My system currently consists of a Cyrus 8 x CD player, a Cyrus 8vs amp both with the PSX-R's. For good measure, I've also got a Sonos Connect for streaming music.

I think to dip my toe in the water with turntables, I'm going to get a second hand Rega Planar 3 and I want to find a phono pre-amp that would complement it. Ultimately, I want to get hold of a Cyrus Phono X, but they're somewhat elusive.

Therefore I don't want to spend too much (preferably £250 or less) but want to ensure that I can get the best out of the Rega or at least not restrict it too much

Any ideas greatly appreciated

There is a dedicated turntable heading on the forum and you will find several similar questions there.

imo a Rega fono mini will be fine unless you have a very exotic cartridge in your tt. GrahamSlee models are well thought of but I've never heard one - though his headphone amps were stunning, so I'd definitely seek out his phono designs if I was spending your budget.

Welcome to the madness!

robbiehoops

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks nopiano, I see the link to the turntable forum now :oops:

Both of those options look very interesting as does the Rega fono MM MKII. Looks like the cartridge will be a Rega Exact so nothing too exotic.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
I can strong recommend Graham Slee having purchased one, albeit rather more expensive than what you are considering; his entry level ones are meant to be extremely good value for money. If you join his user club forum you would be able to arrange two week home loans of one or two of his models.

I'm planning to build one of his kit Generas when i've honed my soldering skills.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts