Rega Turntable

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi newbie here.

Running a Naim 5i - neat motive 2 system and wanting to get my vinyl playing again but at the moment i'm on a tight budget.

Purchased a rega rp1 and am more than impressed with the sound but the platter was out and had a wobble, new platter has been sent and although better stil a wobble. could be the spindle, sub platter i dont know but im sending it back, had enough.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
letsavit2 said:
Hi newbie here.

Running a Naim 5i - neat motive 2 system and wanting to get my vinyl playing again but at the moment i'm on a tight budget.

Purchased a rega rp1 and am more than impressed with the sound but the platter was out and had a wobble, new platter has been sent and although better stil a wobble. could be the spindle, sub platter i dont know but im sending it back, had enough.

Nice amp & speakers there fella!

Get a refund and get something better!

Can you stretch to this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rega-RP3-in-White-B-Grade-slight-minor-imperfections-save-126-00-/290943038176?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables&hash=item43bd8e72e0

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
letsavit2 said:
Hi newbie here.

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

With your amp/speakers combo why not get a better TT, like a RP3... 8)

:cheers:

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
hey guys thats exacty what im thinking but on tight budget at the moment, having trouble on this forum, save i thought was to save what i typed, not post.

here is what i was typing completed...!

Hi all, newbie here.

I have been running a Naim Nait 5 ampcd player - neat motive 2 system for a good few years, now want to play my vinyl again. Works tight so on a tight budget at the moment so purchased the rega RP1, sounds bloody amazing and i got to say with pink floyd wish you was here (my test album) better than my naim cd player.

Problem is the platter was out so i have been sent a new, still out so could be the sub platter, spindle, hole cut in the deck. Had enough so sending it back.

My new plan is to buy a rega RP3 "grade B" and the rega carbon cartridge, this way i get a better deck with hopefully a level platter....! and the same sound im more than happy with for now, i can then upgrade when funds allow.

What you reckon guys, will the rega carbon be a straight fit on the RP3, easy for me to set up, any other cheap cartridges i should look at? any other advice for a not touched a turntable for 20 years guy......

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
if you get your RP3 from Harrow Audio (link above) then get them to fit the Audio Technica AT95E for £40, think it will better than the Carbon

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Thank you

yes im going to order the above rega RP3 from harrow audio.

Is the Audio Technica AT95E a direct fit, no need to lift the arm etc. also will it all all work fine with my Rega Fono mini A2D?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
letsavit2 said:
Thank you

yes im going to order the above rega RP3 from harrow audio.

Is the Audio Technica AT95E a direct fit, no need to lift the arm etc. also will it all all work fine with my Rega Fono mini A2D?

Excellent - not sure but it may need a spacer but they will let you know - its only a 5 min job for them! Ring them tomo telling then your ordering the RP3/AT95 - they will fit it for you - all; you will need to do is balance the arm and set Tracking force/bias, its easy.

The Fono Mini A2D will get you started! You can always add a better at a later date - you may be pleasantly surprised and the results you get with it.

Keep us updated

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
The AT95E was also recomendedconfirmed to me when ordering, no shims required BTW. I purchased the rega RP1 from Analogue Seduction and they also had a RP3 (grade b) so i have just exchanged and paid the extra, there service has be great. The guy opened the box for me on the phone and said the only flaw he could find was a tiny mark on the RP3 transfer, now i live about 30 miles from rega and i am cheeky enough to knock on there door and get a new transfer if it bothers me....!

I am looking forward to setting it up, like i said "wish you was here" on the modest RP1 with the carbon cart beats my Naim 5i CD player, leaving me pondering why i ever left vinyl 20 years ago.

upgrade path yes, as soon as i win a good tender it will be the PSU and back here asking about a new cartridge!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I do find a bit odd that some grade A Rega TT are off centre but some Grade B TT only have a tiny mark on them. CAn I presume that if I bought a grade B and its off-centre I will be able to change it?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I did read a review about the AT95E where the user used the stylus in his old Linn cartridge and it sounded as good as his Linn stylus/cartridge which cost considerably more.

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
All set up and sounding good, better than the rp1 and carbon cartridge I don't know, but as good as so I'm happy. Still a very slight wobble on the rp3 but so minimal and for the money (£385) im happy. The "grade b" was the RP3 printed logo on the plinth was marked, removed the whole logo off and actually think the white table looks cleaner and smarter for it.

rega turntable sound = excellent

rega quality control = poor

Analogue seduction service = great

Thanks for advice guys.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
letsavit2 said:
All set up and sounding good, better than the rp1 and carbon cartridge I don't know, but as good as so I'm happy. Still a very slight wobble on the rp3 but so minimal and for the money (£385) im happy. The "grade b" was the RP3 printed logo on the plinth was marked, removed the whole logo off and actually think the white table looks cleaner and smarter for it.

rega turntable sound = excellent

rega quality control = poor

Analogue seduction service = great

Thanks for advice guys.

Nice one! Please don't mention the wobble arrrgggghhhhhhhh!

Glad your enjoying it!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts