Rega Three,Two......Six ??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
BigH said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
alchemist 1 said:
Well there appears to some debate over the quality of the elys carttridge,

other reviews seem to give the supplied elys a positive vote....... maybe a exact ?
There's nothing wrong with the Elys. All Rega cartridges are designed to continue the Rega sound that the decks and phono stages are providing, which most people are happy with, based on the amount of people who continue to buy Rega decks with the pre-packaged cartridge. Most people just want to buy a "package" rather than messing about with bits of this and bits of that. Rega decks offer a lot of performance for the money.

Back in the 90's people used to try different cartridges on Regas like Goldring and Audio Technicas all the time, but in my 10+ years here, I don't recall anyone ever asking the question.

Thats because 1 they don't know the difference and 2 probably don't know how to change cartridges. Yes I agree these days people just want the whole thing ready to plug in and play. One problem is the Rega carts are generally shorter than most others so you may need to add spacers under the tone arm to lift it up. I heard the Rega Planar 3 with the Elys cart and I was not impressed, I suspect it was due to the cart. One Hifi mag changed the Elys for another cart. I forget which with good results. So you are saying the Elys cart is good and you don't recommend changing it for another one?

As I understand it he said 'there is nothing wrong with ...' which to me means adequate. Not that it couldn't be improved for not a lot more.

There is, however, quite a difference between that and the OP's original question so they answer is No. Fitted as standard the RP3 is not going to give you the sound quality of a decent £1000 CDP.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
BigH said:
Hifi mag changed the Elys for another cart. I forget which with good results. So you are saying the Elys cart is good and you don't recommend changing it for another one?

That was Hi-Fi Choice and they fitted a nagaoka.

When I purchased my Planar 2 in 1990 there was no option, all rega' scams without a cartridge and you had to choose what you want fitted, I had an AT95e

jimbofisher said:
BigH said:
Hifi mag changed the Elys for another cart. I forget which with good results. So you are saying the Elys cart is good and you don't recommend changing it for another one?

When I purchased my Planar 2 in 1990 there was no option, all rega' scams without a cartridge and you had to choose what you want fitted, I had an AT95e

I hope that's a typo.... ;-)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
jimbofisher said:
BigH said:

To be fair you can buy the Rega 3 without a cart and have one fitted although the choice at my dealer was very limited.

BigH said:
jimbofisher said:
BigH said:

To be fair you can buy the Rega 3 without a cart and have one fitted although the choice at my dealer was very limited.

And that's just the point BigH. Most dealers do not stock a suitable range of replacements so the newbies are quite content with their plug and play packages. More fools them. We live in an age of uneducated convenience.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
alchemist 1 said:

other reviews seem to give the supplied elys a positive vote....... maybe a exact ?
There's nothing wrong with the Elys. All Rega cartridges are designed to continue the Rega sound that the decks and phono stages are providing, which most people are happy with, based on the amount of people who continue to buy Rega decks with the pre-packaged cartridge. Most people just want to buy a "package" rather than messing about with bits of this and bits of that. Rega decks offer a lot of performance for the money.

Back in the 90's people used to try different cartridges on Regas like Goldring and Audio Technicas all the time, but in my 10+ years here, I don't recall anyone ever asking the question.
So taking a leaf out of the 90's what would be a good alternative choice today ?

alchemist 1 said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
alchemist 1 said:

So taking a leaf out of the 90's what would be a good alternative choice today ?

Do you mean cartridge? Depends on what yo have to spend. The Elys 2 costs £119. The AT440MLb costs about £10 more. I know which I'd rather have. ;-)

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
alchemist 1 said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
alchemist 1 said:

Do you mean cartridge? Depends on what yo have to spend. The Elys 2 costs £119. The AT440MLb costs about £10 more. I know which I'd rather have. ;-)
Sorry, yes cartridge.....would Rega's Exact be worth the extra investment.?

alchemist 1 said:
Al ears said:
alchemist 1 said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
alchemist 1 said:

At £255? Do you want my honest opinion?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
alchemist 1 said:
Al ears said:
alchemist 1 said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
alchemist 1 said:

No get the best Nagaoka or AT you can afford - i know ive been there the Elys is bloated on bass

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I would think you would be very hard pressed to tell the difference between the arms to be honest - Rega must surely be working on a Planar 6 as surely the Planar 3 beats the RP6 on vfm

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
The main complaint of Rega arms is the wiring, some have had them rewired and are please with the results but its not cheap. Also filling them with foam is claimed to have a benefit.

I would probably get the 3 and then you will have more money for a better cartridge. The 6 I would be looking at other makes such as Clearaudio.

alchemist 1 said:
Al ears said:
alchemist 1 said:
DizzyPenguin said:
Wish Rega would hurry up and let us know if a Planar 6 is planned for release soon...
Does it beg the question is the RP6 at present supporting the inferior arm ?

Which inferior arm??
rb303 vs rb330......?

And?..... which is inferior and why? You cannot make a statement like that with our backing it up with evidence. Have you actually heard both? If not then be very careful in what you quote as inferior.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
alchemist 1 said:
Al ears said:
alchemist 1 said:
DizzyPenguin said:
Wish Rega would hurry up and let us know if a Planar 6 is planned for release soon...
Does it beg the question is the RP6 at present supporting the inferior arm ?

Which inferior arm??
rb303 vs rb330......?

And?..... which is inferior and why? You cannot make a statement like that with our backing it up with evidence. Have you actually heard both? If not then be very careful in what you quote as inferior.
Hmm !... Rega have just spent two years making improvments to the P3,

a majority of it on the new RB 330 arm.

The reviews have all commented on the arm as a major factor to the improved sound quality.

Hence my QUESTION , not statement.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
alchemist 1 said:
I think I'll just go and listen .......*music2*
I didn't have time to listen to the new P3 this time round [ future demo]

I wanted to see one in the flesh so to speak.

Its very smart, but on seeing the rb330 arm it struck me how slim it appeared.

Not being familiar with Rega decks I was quite suprised at this.

Compared to my Roksan Tabriz arms construction

I'll hold judgment until hearing the P3.

On perceived value I'm not so sure.

alchemist 1 said:
alchemist 1 said:

Tonearm design is a black art. It is certainly slim, have you seen The Wand? Effective mass can be a crucial part of the equation. Roksan arms were always a bit tubby. I had a Tabriz on my Radius 5 once.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
alchemist 1 said:
alchemist 1 said:

Tonearm design is a black art. It is certainly slim, have you seen The Wand? Effective mass can be a crucial part of the equation. Roksan arms were always a bit tubby. I had a Tabriz on my Radius 5 once.
E[k] =E0 +h2k2 over 2m* .....I see what you mean ......*scratch_one-s_head*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts