Rega Three,Two......Six ??

alchemist 1 said:
I've decided to invest in a new turntable, [stand by k & d of cov]

Is it worth holding back for future developments ? *scratch_one-s_head*

No. The new are just slight tweaking of the old. At this sort of budget even the old Planar 3 will suffice. Want one now? Just buy the best you can afford now. Oh, minus cartridge that is.... :)

Mel

Jun 6, 2016
Visit site
Like Al above I am going to buy a new turntable. I have the chance to buy RP6 for £100 less than usual price but wonder if new Rega Planar 3 is a better buy (better arm) with Exact cartridge than RP6 with Elys - my budget stretches only to one or the other? Also I am limited to around £100 for Phono amp - would Cambridge Áudio (I have Cambridge Áudio amplifier) or Rega be the best option? Grateful for any advice - many thanks, Mel.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Its not worth waiting for new developments, turntables are very mature now, I doubt anything revolutionary is going to be produced. I would demo some different ones, Rega are OK but I would avoid the budget ones. The new RP3 is probably the one I would go for now, its new, its been tweaked up a bit, its reasonably price, however I would also try the Project 25th Anniversary, looks good.Rega I would not have their cartridges despite what WHF say. Once you start going over £800 then Clearaudio comes into the picture.

BigH said:
Its not worth waiting for new developments, turntables are very mature now, I doubt anything revolutionary is going to be produced. I would demo some different ones, Rega are OK but I would avoid the budget ones. The new RP3 is probably the one I would go for now, its new, its been tweaked up a bit, its reasonably price, however I would also try the Project 25th Anniversary, looks good.Rega I would not have their cartridges despite what WHF say. Once you start going over £800 then Clearaudio comes into the picture.

Glad to see you agree BigH. You are correct in that there's unlikely to be any massive improvements to these sort of decks in the near future. The Project looks good to me also if you like that style.

Also, to be honest, I think you'd be a mug to buy one with the usual fitted cartridges as, for a little more outlay, you can vastly improved the sound qualities by fitting a third-party cartridge.

I would suggest that the OP buys the newest deck within his budget bearing in mind they can be had slightly cheaper without a cartridge initially.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
i asked my dealer if Rega had an 'new' RP6 coming - he said no, but another dealer - Moorgate Acoustics sad yes !

Just get a Planar 3, a 3 point spacer and the best cartridge you can afford

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:
i asked my dealer if Rega had an 'new' RP6 coming - he said no, but another dealer - Moorgate Acoustics sad yes !

The RP6 was my future development question.?

But i do admit to being tempted to go the whole hog, by-pass the upgrade path

and follow your example and purchase a gyro.*acute*

alchemist 1 said:
stevebrock said:

The RP6 was my future development question.?

But i do admit to being tempted to go the whole hog, by-pass the upgrade path

and follow your example and purchase a gyro.*acute*

Good choice Sir!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
As per my other thread on the new Planar 3 - yea it's a good turntable for the money - the RP6 & Planar 3 just don't compare to a Gyro in performance, look, build and potential ie Arms & Carts

What turntable do you have now ?

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:
As per my other thread on the new Planar 3 - yea it's a good turntable for the money - the RP6 & Planar 3 just don't compare to a Gyro in performance, look, build and potential ie Arms & Carts

I've not had a turntable for a couple of years, I last had a Roksan radius one which I let go.

I still have my Roksan Tabriz arm which has been completely refurbished, new bearings arm lift etc.

So a decision to be made on going down the Rega route or use the Tabriz on a gyro.

I'm wondering how the Rega 330 arm compares too the Tabriz ?

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
I'm in the new Planar 3 camp, but with a Nagaoka MP110 cartridge, or 200 or 300 if budget allows. I've never heard a Gyro, but if your budget will stretch then auditions are needed? I have an RP3/RB303/MP110, and it's significantly better than my old Planar 3/R200, but the differences between that deck with an RB300 and the new Planar 3 will still be noticeable.

Have you a Rega dealer nearby, to compare the Planar 3 and 6, to hear the differences?

alchemist 1 said:
stevebrock said:

I've not had a turntable for a couple of years, I last had a Roksan radius one which I let go.

I still have my Roksan Tabriz arm which has been completely refurbished, new bearings arm lift etc.

So a decision to be made on going down the Rega route or use the Tabriz on a gyro.

You didn't buy it of eBay many moons ago did you? I sold one. Keep Tabriz, it's a classic, and have a look at getting a decent deck to fit it to.

Inspire Audio might be a place to look.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
alchemist 1 said:
stevebrock said:

You didn't buy it of eBay many moons ago did you? I sold one. Keep Tabriz, it's a classic, and have a look at getting a decent deck to fit it to.

No Al I've had the Tabriz from new.

That's what I'm pondering, I don't want to waste the Tabriz's possible superioriy over

Regas new rb330 tonearm........*scratch_one-s_head*

alchemist 1 said:
Al ears said:
alchemist 1 said:
stevebrock said:

No Al I've had the Tabriz from new.

That's what I'm pondering, I don't want to waste the Tabriz's possible superioriy over

Regas new rb330 tonearm........*scratch_one-s_head*

I have not had the opportunity to compare the two as my Tabriz went a long time ago. I do know what a capable arm it is though and the cartridges it can perform well with. I'd hang on to it and find a decent deck you can mount it on.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
BigH said:

Glad to see you agree BigH. You are correct in that there's unlikely to be any massive improvements to these sort of decks in the near future. The Project looks good to me also if you like that style.

Also, to be honest, I think you'd be a mug to buy one with the usual fitted cartridges as, for a little more outlay, you can vastly improved the sound qualities by fitting a third-party cartridge.

I would suggest that the OP buys the newest deck within his budget bearing in mind they can be had slightly cheaper without a cartridge initially.
Just wondering if the new P3 would be a match in sound quality for my £1000 cd player ?

alchemist 1 said:
Al ears said:
BigH said:

Just wondering if the new P3 would be a match in sound quality for my £1000 cd player ?

That would depend on your cartridge and your set-up. You're comparing chalk and cheese otherwise. It's up to you, analogue or digital.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
alchemist 1 said:
Al ears said:
BigH said:

That would depend on your cartridge and your set-up. You're comparing chalk and cheese otherwise. It's up to you, analogue or digital.
Well there appears to some debate over the quality of the elys carttridge,

other reviews seem to give the supplied elys a positive vote....... maybe a exact ?

alchemist 1 said:
Al ears said:
alchemist 1 said:
Al ears said:
BigH said:

other reviews seem to give the supplied elys a positive vote....... maybe a exact ?

Well, in theory, a turntable can never sound as good as digital regardless of what cartridge you put on it.

I for one do not agree with this theory, I heard some pretty rubbish CDPs. If you like analogue sound then that should be enough.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
alchemist 1 said:
Al ears said:
alchemist 1 said:
Al ears said:
BigH said:

Well, in theory, a turntable can never sound as good as digital regardless of what cartridge you put on it.

I for one do not agree with this theory, I heard some pretty rubbish CDPs. If you like analogue sound then that should be enough.
On a practical note I have to make space for a future turntable acquisition.

I will have to stack amp and cd player.

I was going to put the cd player on top of the amp, would that cause any problems ?

There would be plenty of ventilation.

alchemist 1 said:
Al ears said:
alchemist 1 said:
Al ears said:
alchemist 1 said:
Al ears said:
BigH said:

On a practical note I have to make space for a future turntable acquisition.

I will have to stack amp and cd player.

I was going to put the cd player on top of the amp, would that cause any problems ?

There would be plenty of ventilation.

I wouldn't advise it, and if you had to I'd put CD under.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
alchemist 1 said:

There's nothing wrong with the Elys. All Rega cartridges are designed to continue the Rega sound that the decks and phono stages are providing, which most people are happy with, based on the amount of people who continue to buy Rega decks with the pre-packaged cartridge. Most people just want to buy a "package" rather than messing about with bits of this and bits of that. Rega decks offer a lot of performance for the money.

Back in the 90's people used to try different cartridges on Regas like Goldring and Audio Technicas all the time, but in my 10+ years here, I don't recall anyone ever asking the question.

David@FrankHarvey said:
alchemist 1 said:

There's nothing wrong with the Elys. All Rega cartridges are designed to continue the Rega sound that the decks and phono stages are providing, which most people are happy with, based on the amount of people who continue to buy Rega decks with the pre-packaged cartridge. Most people just want to buy a "package" rather than messing about with bits of this and bits of that. Rega decks offer a lot of performance for the money.

Back in the 90's people used to try different cartridges on Regas like Goldring and Audio Technicas all the time, but in my 10+ years here, I don't recall anyone ever asking the question.

That's the yoof of today for you. They forget there was a time when turntables came without cartridges. Everyone seems to want ease of set-up these days irrespective of whether the sound quality could be drastically improved or not.

Back in the 90's everyone had to try different cartridges because none were fitted as standard. ;-)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
alchemist 1 said:

Thats because 1 they don't know the difference and 2 probably don't know how to change cartridges. Yes I agree these days people just want the whole thing ready to plug in and play. One problem is the Rega carts are generally shorter than most others so you may need to add spacers under the tone arm to lift it up. I heard the Rega Planar 3 with the Elys cart and I was not impressed, I suspect it was due to the cart. One Hifi mag changed the Elys for another cart. I forget which with good results. So you are saying the Elys cart is good and you don't recommend changing it for another one?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts