Rega Rs1

tommyskins

May 9, 2009
Visit site
I have swapped my speakers from B&W 685 to Rega rs1 due to the speakers needing to be placed close to walls, Anyway just wanted to write and say what a great little speaker the Rega's are. Even straight out of the box they sound superb and are not fussy about positioning, I have them about 10cm from the wall and they sound just right and i'm looking forward to them sounding better with a little more use.. Also do What Hi fi plan on reviewing these little gems in the near future as i think they deserve some credit as they tick all the boxes for easy placement and quality sound for a good price...[Y]

A

Anonymous

They're indeed superb and unsurprisingly, matched with all Rega kit are quite something.

A

Anonymous

Are they fussy with system matching?, looking for a small speaker that i can place a bit closer to the wall

tommyskins

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Not sure about them being fussy with system matching! i'm running them with an old Pioneer A300R precision and they sound lovely, Better than the 685's to be honest. The Rega's can be wall mounted using there own wall bracket which is handy for people with not much space for floorstanders or stands!!

tommyskins

May 9, 2009
Visit site
ourjack2008

tommyskins

May 9, 2009
Visit site
They dont have as much bass as the 685's but that was why i changed as i needed them close to walls which caused the 685's to be a bit boomy. I like the sound of the Rega's they just sound right, also i have changed my speaker cable from silver anniversary to van damme UP-LCOFC hi fi series which has taken away the brightness and top end shrill and gives a warmer and easier listening sound. The Rega's are a little bit smaller and quite a lot lighter than the 685's but still deliver good bass not in your face bass like the 685's. They really are magical little speakers..
emotion-29.gif
emotion-29.gif

A

Anonymous

Sounds like the sort of speaker im looking for, Still getting a bit of boomhum on the base from my quads, tho better since i replaced the amp still experimenting with positioning but still struggling to get that perfect spot and can't bring them forward much more

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
I really find the quad standmounters to be bass light and a little over confident in the treble than I like..find weird when ppl say they are a bit boomy.

A

Anonymous

i own a pair of rega rs1s and they are brilliant. Not fussy attal with placement, really detailed speaker and the bass is good if you crank them up. You can pick them up for 200 pound if you shop about.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
reggaedave:i own a pair of rega rs1s and they are brilliant. Not fussy attal with placement, really detailed speaker and the bass is good if you crank them up. You can pick them up for 200 pound if you shop about.

that seems a bit like my ns-333. very bass light when volume is low..crank it up and all the frequencies come togheter

A

Anonymous

I know you started this thread a while back but have only just come across it.

I am also the proud owner of some RS1s. Can't really fault them. I think the finish of the RS1s is particularly fantastic at their price - I've not seen aything to match that level of craft anywhere near it. There's something reassuringly solid and British about them, and the sound is very clear and open. I love the basic design too, the upside-down mid/treble is quirky enough without being overblown and they look lovely next to the rest of my kit, mounted on some home-made wooden plinths. Anyway, I digress slightly...

When I bought the speakers I was living in a small flat. I've since moved to a larger flat and the sitting room where my hifi is kept is now almost twice the size, so I feel like the RS1s are a bit lost in there sonically. What I would ideally like is a pair of 'RS2' speakers, but they don't exist! Basically keeping the RS1 ingredients but beefed up a bit to give a larger sound. Does anyone have any suggestions of an alternative, or does anyone know any inside info as to the future plans of Rega speakers? My main awkwardness is that I don't want floorstanders as I think they are almost universally ugly, apart from some very expensive ones that are well outside my budget... Any thoughts are welcomed
smiley-laughing.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
bushmendous said:
Basically keeping the RS1 ingredients but beefed up a bit to give a larger sound. Does anyone have any suggestions of an alternative, or does anyone know any inside info as to the future plans of Rega speakers? My main awkwardness is that I don't want floorstanders as I think they are almost universally ugly...

What about Rega RS3 floorstanders? They are certainly not 'ugly' and are very compact.

A

Anonymous

It's a fair shout. I definitely agree that they are pretty sweet to look at and I like the idea of the side-firing bass driver (don't know whay I do though, it just seems cool). However, I still think they'd be too imposing in my sitting room and with me and hifi it's always a trade off between the sound and the aesthetic in order to keep all parties happy. With a bookshelf speaker you can blend them into the surroundings better. With floorstanders they just seem like great big obelisks hanging around and making you stare at them!

Any other ideas? I like the KEF Q300s sound-wise but thought they looked a bit cheap in the flesh.

A

Anonymous

dynaudio dm 2/6 or 2/7s. you can put them anywhere, and they sound fantastic, the 2/6s are very compact (similar in size to the regas) but the 2/7s are a little bigger. i've got the 2/7s in a 4.5 x 4.5 metre room and they are more than capable of filling it with sound.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Having had a few 'bookshelf' speakers I disagree. Such speakers have the aesthetic downside of ugly metal speaker stands.

I would agree with you if all bookshelf speakers could be used on/in bookshelves or wall mounted. But these are rare.

As for the RS3s being monolithic, measure out 80cm (height) on a tape measure and see how diminutive that really is. (At least 10cms lower than most compact bookshelf speakers on 60cm stands.)

That 80cm is all in pleasing real wood veneer rather than the usual 60cm of hideous 'ironmongery' that a typical stand represents.

I agree there are some really overbearing floorstanders around that share the looks of a generic 1960s built insurance company headquarters in Basingstoke or Swindon (!) - like the latest KEF Q series with their appallingly drab faux wood veneer - but the Rega R3s and RS3s are a lot more elegant in my - very biased - opinion.

The worst floorstanders I saw were some big Focals. "Coffins for Labradors" was the first thing I could think of when I saw them. They only lacked brass handles to complete the effect.

Cold Roses

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
Bush - I'm wholly in agreement with Chebby's comments. I find my RS3's to be far less visually imposing than my B&W 685s on my Partington stands. If you're generally happy with the RS1s, but want a fuller sound then the RS3's are likely to give you exactly what you're after. I wouldn't discount them. Maybe your dealer will lend you a demo pair, so you can see what they look and sound like in your new place.

stanleyk

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Did the OP not specify no interest in floorstanders? I realise the RS3 may be at a size that some consider to be suitable, however based on the post it sounds like there may be some 'outside' influences (don't we all have them?) impacting on the decisions, an initial trawl through standmounts would be to consider the EB2 or maybe the EPOS M12, bit bigger, bit more 'sound'?

A

Anonymous

Ah yes, that's more like it. I shall go investigate those speakers more, as after a quick image search they look like pieces of kit that I could easily live with. Thanks Stan.

Cold Roses

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
Fair enough, sounds like floorstanders really are out of the running.

I actually had the EB2s on my list of options, prior to buying the RS3, and may well have gone for them but for the waiting/delivery times. Whilst I haven't yet seen or heard the EB2s in person, they do look beautifully crafted in the pictures and the reviews are largely very positive. Bush - I'm sure you'll note that they're relatively large standmounts (i.e., won't visually fade into the background if that's what you're after). It would certainly be interesting to hear from folks who've had direct experience of both the EB2s and RS1s.

A

Anonymous

maxflinn said:
dynaudio dm 2/6 or 2/7s. you can put them anywhere, and they sound fantastic, the 2/6s are very compact (similar in size to the regas) but the 2/7s are a little bigger. i've got the 2/7s in a 4.5 x 4.5 metre room and they are more than capable of filling it with sound.

How about on a windowsill with 10cm clearance behind them? (Left wall against left speaker, right wall against right speaker).

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
With regards to bookshelf speakers, stands and "blend them into the surroundings", the Atacama Aurora 6 would make a good option.

With the clear base and by inserting a roll of wallpaper to match the wall against which they stand into the column (and then fill with Atabites, sand or litter) you'd have a set of camouflaged speaker stands.

ATAAUR6C.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts