Rega RS1 or wharfedale 122?

Hayche

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi

i am wondering if anybody has heard both of these speakers. I have the 122s and am wondering if the rega rs1 would be a noticeable upgrade. I know the bass would be less but I have a little bass boom with the 122s at the moment

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
The RS1 are lovely little speakers - but they are not for everyone - however They suited my room when I had them after I couldnt get some Neat Motive to work as they were too bassy.

RS1 are not fussy with placement, however as with any speaker you need to demo them, prefably at home with your amp!

RS1 to my ears were very musical and engaging with a Brio R amp.

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
The Rega's will have a very different presentation - I would try before you buy. You may need to spend more for a noticable upgrade. Changing the position of the Wharfedale's may help reduce the bass boom or how they are isolated.

Hayche

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replys. There are some rs1s on eBay so I was thinking of buying them and selling my 122s. I will save up for some ls50s etc instead. I did audition the b&w 685 s2 recently and the only difference I could notice was a slightly taller soundstage

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Before you sell the 122's - have you tried changing room placement? For example moving the speakers a little away from the back and side walls should help and making sure they are on a good quality stands. I've also read the 122s sound best with their covers off. Hope this helps. Are you saying there wasn't much difference between the 122 and the 685 s2?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I was not impressed withe RS1s. The LS50s are good but need a good amp and careful room placement, also not much good at lower volumes, so not sure they will be right for you.

Hayche

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I can't pull them out into the room because the mrs will not agree ha.Also i dont think she would be too happy about basstraps!,They are at either side of my chimney breast!.I can use my tone controls to reduce the boom but i prefer my mdac pre which has no tone controls.

I only heard the B&W 685 s2 for abou 30 mins but nothing made me want to buy them as i went with intention to do so,The soundstage was taller but everything else seemed similar to me.I do need to have another listen to them and maybe a home demo but i think i will be in the same situation with bass boom.

Hayche

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
yea i think i need something sealed like ATC or Spendor,I did read that the RS1s are nearly as good as these speakers hence the post,

TRENDING THREADS