Rega rp3 - Thorens Td170 - project

Hi Guys,

Am planning to invest in a Turntable , and am new to the details aspect of turntables , i almost closed in on the Rp3 , and suddenly i come across the Thorens 170.

I havent been able to hear either of the TT's !

Can some one help me with this?

Would request views on my decsion over Project TT's?

Thanks

Welcome!

As simply as possible:-

1. The Rega has been replaced with the Planar 3, which is reported to be significantly better. There's also a new Planar 2 at a lower price.

2. The Thorens seems to be basic, but automated and with a built in phono stage. Not really comparable at all for sound quality.

3. Pro-ject make some super turntables, with so many models and configurations it takes a lot of checking to unravel what you need and what is provided. Some great buys amongst a few weaker models.

It all depends upon your local pricing, if youre not in the UK. If you are, get the Rega unless you need something less expensive.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
How much is the new Plannar 3?

$700 sounds too much, thats over £500.

Problem with Rega is the fitted cartridges, better to buy without and get a better cartridge fitted.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site

Problem with Rega is the fitted cartridges, better to buy without and get a better cartridge fitted.

BigH said:

Problem with Rega is s the fitted cartridges, better to buy without and get a better cartridge fitted.

That's about right as the planar 3 is £550 or thereabouts.

OK, see what you mean, that's not a good deal on the older RP3, well not here anyway don't know about India. Unless it's fitted with a very expensive cartridge. ;-)

TRENDING THREADS