Rega RP1 - how to get a decent sound out of it

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Christian Harris said:
Dear What Hi-Fi Forum,

I just received for my wedding a Rega Rp1 turntable. I'd now like to find a decent way to make it sound and based on my small room's dimension and budget I have identified the following two elements:
Would this work and give me a decent volume and quality according to you? Thanks a lot

so you own any records yet ?

If im honest sounds like you are new to vinyl and IMO think you need to be spending a bit more - your best route would be to buy a used dedicated 2 channel integrated amplifier with an onboard phono stage Something like a used Rega Brio ( not the R ) or Marantz PM 6004.

Then some speakers from the likes of Dali, Wharfedale, MA - used again.

should be able to get used speakers & amp for between £200-300.

That Pionner thing you quoted is really going to leave you very disappointed.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Christian Harris said:
Dear What Hi-Fi Forum,

I just received for my wedding a Rega Rp1 turntable. I'd now like to find a decent way to make it sound and based on my small room's dimension and budget I have identified the following two elements:
Would this work and give me a decent volume and quality according to you? Thanks a lot

If im honest sounds like you are new to vinyl and IMO think you need to be spending a bit more - your best route would be to buy a used dedicated 2 channel integrated amplifier with an onboard phono stage Something like a used Rega Brio ( not the R ) or Marantz PM 6004.

+1...steve telling it like it is.

Jim_W said:
stevebrock said:
Christian Harris said:
Dear What Hi-Fi Forum,

Plus the OP would need a phono pre-amp to even connect to said Pioneer device.... even if it's not worth doing.

stevebrock said:
Al, there are 2 links in the OP - the phono stage is some thing off Amazon for £17

Thanks for pointing that out Steve, I see it now. I'll stick with what I said though whatever the Behringer is like (it's that cheap for a reason I'd imagine).

Whilst it would be possible, therefore, to utilise the two I'd still be concerned that it could be bettered. The 'volume' might be down to the Behringer itself and 'quality' down to the pairing and ultimately limited by the cartridge. Whether this would be enough to keep the OP happy I cannot be sure. In a small room it might just suffice. Again, trying to build a vinyl system on a limited budget is not the best way to go.

Jim_W said:
stevebrock said:
Christian Harris said:
Dear What Hi-Fi Forum,

Thanks for the answer so far guys!
Yes, I'm new to vinyl (but I have a few at home taken from my parent's house) and I was expecting answers along this line (and I'm very happy to hear them, I want to challenge my decisions before taking or changing them).

So, let's go with Jim_W thinking process. For this option, I identified these Wharfedale speakers. Regarding instead the integrated amplifier (used)..any suggestion on where to buy it? I guess online, but where? Amazon.co.uk is a no go. eBay maybe? Or you know any specialized online shop? Any integrated amplifier brand new is quite expensive indeed.

Thanks guys, this is very useful and much appreciated!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
If budget is really, really an issue (and most of us have been there especially as newlyweds), have you considered tracking down a local Cash Converters etc and seeing what they have in stock from well-known makes like Denon, Marantz, Sony, Pioneer..just make sure the amp has turntable inputs on the back, commonly marked "Phono" or "Turntable". The nearby binding post for the earth wire is usually a giveaway.

MajorFubar said:
If budget is really, really an issue (and most of us have been there especially as newlyweds), have you considered tracking down a local Cash Converters etc and seeing what they have in stock from well-known makes like Denon, Marantz, Sony, Pioneer..just make sure the amp has turntable inputs on the back, commonly marked "Phono" or "Turntable". The nearby binding post for the earth wire is usually a giveaway.

+1 for what MajorFubar says.

Your speaker choice is a good one. Regards amplifier I'd be tempted to look at RicherSounds if you have one nearby and see what they have, possibly 'open box' or ex-demo might be best rather than plunging into the murk that is eBay.

Belated congratulations by the way. :)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
These ...

clicky

and this ...

clicky (it goes between your RP1 and the speakers and is extremely important). It has a secondary role of letting you rip your LPs to your computer.

You can find active (or powered) desktop speakers at most prices and they'll be fine so long as they accept RCA phono plugs and have a built in volume control (or remote).

Even these M-Audios for £90 a pair will probably sound better than that thing you suggested.

chebby said:
These ...

clicky

and this ...

clicky (it goes between your RP1 and the speakers and is extremely important). It has a secondary role of letting you rip your LPs to your computer.

You can find active (or powered) desktop speakers at most prices and they'll be fine so long as they accept RCA phono plugs and have a built in volume control (or remote).

Even these M-Audios for £90 a pair will probably sound better than that thing you suggested.

+1

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
I think your speaker choice is fine and the other suggestions are excellent too; have a look at the Tannoy Mercury range...Tannoy F1 Custom, Tannoy Mercury V1 and V1i...very clear and precise speakers with excellent stereo imaging and all for about £90-£100. Ideal if space is at a premium.

chebby said:
These ...

clicky

and this ...

Thanks Chebby!!
I find really frustrating (and not fair) that Amazon / AudioEngine advertises their speakers for turntable without specifying the need of a pre-amp! Don't you?

According to you, are the AudioEnginge better than the Wharfedale speakers I mentioned?
I understand Wharfedale speakers would require amp+pre amp (2 pieces) or integrated amp (1 piece) while AudioEnginge only pre-amp as amp is integrated - right?

Al ears said:
MajorFubar said:

+1 for what MajorFubar says.

Your speaker choice is a good one. Regards amplifier I'd be tempted to look at RicherSounds if you have one nearby and see what they have, possibly 'open box' or ex-demo might be best rather than plunging into the murk that is eBay.

Belated congratulations by the way. :)

Totally agree on what you said re: eBay :)
I live in Ireland, Dublin and I see there's http://www.richersounds.ie - I'll have a look there! Thanks for the congratulations :)

matthewpiano

For the amplifier, if you can afford around £200, there are several possibilities which are good and include a decent phono stage:

Denon PMA720ae

Onkyo A-9010 UK

Yamaha A-S501 (£219)

If you really want to keep the budget down, you can pick up a Denon PMA520ae for less than £150.

For speakers at those sort of prices you can't go wrong with the Tannoy V1.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts