Rega PPack plus 24v motor OR Ortofon 2M Blue?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As above, what would make a significant upgrade? I can avail both options on almost identical price level here in my country. I have the Rega RP1 and would like to improve the sound of the stock ortofon om5e cart. I would like a more rounded, meaty presentation as i find the entry level ortofon a bit lean especially on the bass front. I don't think a demo in one of the shops is ideal, given that it will be different to replicate the same sound once the chosen upgrade is set up at home. Will the Performance Pack consisting of the rega bias, white belt and table mat along with a new motor give me the results i want? Or a move to a more expensive cartridge such as the ortofon 2M blue be more feasable?

A

Anonymous

apologies for posting this on the wrong forum. im quite new here. feeling my way around :doh:

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
The 2M blue is a lovely cartridge for the money, I have one that is going to be sold with only 100hrs use as I've upgraded to the rondo red MC. Maybe what hi fi can share each others info if you interested at a great price. By the way I'm not saying its a lovely cartridge just because I'm selling it but it's miles ahead of the 2m red :)

matthewpiano

In my experience the best fit for a Rega deck is a Rega cartridge. I'm using an Elys 2 on my RP3 and it is a superb combination. I'd opt for the performance pack with the Bias 2 cartridge if I had an RP1.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Personally I don't like Rega cartridges. The Grado Red goes well with Rega, great midrange, slightly down on top treble but otherwise nicely balanced.. There's also the Audio Technica AT95E, which is a terrific sounding cartridge at a true bargain price.

A

Anonymous

Hi altruistic! Though i've read grado carts have that warm presentation and might probably give my system that meaty, rounded bass, i am wary of hum issues that might occur during playback? how does one adress this problem?

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano said:
In my experience the best fit for a Rega deck is a Rega cartridge. I'm using an Elys 2 on my RP3 and it is a superb combination. I'd opt for the performance pack with the Bias 2 cartridge if I had an RP1.

matthewpiano, how does the elys cart differ from the bias (with the white belt and mat) in the midrange and bass department. would i hear a few notch difference? have you demoed the Ppack? :)

A

Anonymous

gbhsi1 said:
The 2M blue is a lovely cartridge for the money, I have one that is going to be sold with only 100hrs use as I've upgraded to the rondo red MC. Maybe what hi fi can share each others info if you interested at a great price. By the way I'm not saying its a lovely cartridge just because I'm selling it but it's miles ahead of the 2m red :)

thanks for the heads up! i get conflicting advice from another site about the 2m blue. i might not get the sound i want :roll: . so, im waiting for other readers to chime in their views about this cart.

A

Anonymous

gbhsi1 said:

thanks for the heads up! i get conflicting advice from another site about the 2m blue. i might not get the sound i want :roll: . so, im waiting for other readers to chime in their views about this cart.

A

Anonymous

gbhsi1 said:

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Grados aren't shielded, which means they can pick up hum from the motor with some turntables. They didn't with the Planar, P2 or P3, but don't know about the newer models.

However, hum can come from any component within the HiFi system, so moving the components around can fix the problem if it exists. They are lovely sounding cartridges, though.

The Ortofons are a bit clinical, but haven't heard the new ones.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
I wont say they are clinical at all...what kind of music to your frequently listen to Totomatic?....judging by your username...rock?

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Not sure if you read this review - so I attached a link:

[EDITED BY MODS - House Rules]

There is also the option of upgrading at a later date where you can replace the stylus for either the bronze or black, but of course you will only get 75% of the benefit as the body is different to the blue and red...anyway just something to think about.

The most important thing is you enjoying it so if the upgrade to the turntable brings you greater reward, then go for it. I personally think the cartridge is what extracts the detail...so brings greater reward? ..that's my opinion though

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
totomatic said:

The 2M Blue is a great cart (I have one myself) - it's main strength is that it is a very well balanced cart, which I get the feeling isn't what you're after?? I also find it a little forward in its presentation - not something that is immediately obvious, but for me can cause some listening fatigue after a long session... which again doesn't seem to equate with the "warm, full" presentation you're after

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
I would describe it to be a lively sound, terrific timing, you will definitely get a meatier presentation and fuller bass than you currently have. I fell in love with the cartridge when I listened to it the first time, from new...so that is saying something as it takes about 50hrs burn in to sound its best! it does sound great now as the forward sound described is not that apparent anymore :)

what amp and speakers do you have totomatic?

A

Anonymous

chebby said:
totomatic said:
As above, what would make a significant upgrade? I can avail both options on almost identical price level here in my country. I have the Rega RP1 and would like to improve the sound of the stock ortofon om5e cart.

Another (more convenient and cheaper) option is to keep your OM5E cartridge in place and upgrade to an OM10 or OM20 stylus...

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-4004-ortofon-stylus-10.aspx

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-4000-ortofon-stylus-20.aspx

Hmm...the om series is a good economical option although hard to procure. the 2m series is readily available here. but i would think the OM20 is the 2M blue equivalent is'nt it?

A

Anonymous

gbhsi1 said:
I wont say they are clinical at all...what kind of music to your frequently listen to Totomatic?....judging by your username...rock?

Just about anything, except for hiphop, rnb and opera

A

Anonymous

The 2M Blue is a great cart (I have one myself) - it's main strength is that it is a very well balanced cart, which I get the feeling isn't what you're after?? I also find it a little forward in its presentation - not something that is immediately obvious, but for me can cause some listening fatigue after a long session... which again doesn't seem to equate with the "warm, full" presentation you're after

[/quote]

thanks for your input! listening fatigue is something i can do without. although i surmise this can happen in a bright sounding system or in a room without acoustic treatment (furniture, shelves, soft furnishings). well, at least now i'm getting somewhere :)

A

Anonymous

altruistic.lemon said:
Personally I don't like Rega cartridges. The Grado Red goes well with Rega, great midrange, slightly down on top treble but otherwise nicely balanced.. There's also the Audio Technica AT95E, which is a terrific sounding cartridge at a true bargain price.

The Grado Red and Audio Technica can be sourced here. I'm curious about the Grado. Perhaps taming some of that top end will bring out that warm or meaty sound i can get from the midrange and bass. The AT95e comes at an attractive price but a bit wary it might sound similar to the OM5e.

matthewpiano

totomatic said:
matthewpiano said:

matthewpiano, how does the elys cart differ from the bias (with the white belt and mat) in the midrange and bass department. would i hear a few notch difference? have you demoed the Ppack? :)

It is very hard to say because I've only heard the Bias 2 on the RP1 and the Elys on the RP3 (my dealer said the Elys is really a step too far for the RP1). There was a big difference in composure and soundstage detail between the two, but some of that will be down to the better turntable/arm and not just the cartridge.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts