Rega Planet

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

I started reading this forum a few months ago and found it extremely helpful in thinking about hifi upgrades. I have now bought a second-hand Rega Planet CD player and will need to get a matching amplifier and speakers soon.

Unfortunately, I am in the middle of moving and don't know yet about room sizes furnishings, etc., but I would be grateful for some general hints as to what models might be good with the Rega Planet. I am a bit constrained on the monetary front, too, and would welcome suggestions that won't break the bank, say around £300 each for amp and speakers, even though I could possibly stretch a bit. (I am happy to buy off ebay, even though I would prefer to audition stuff first.)

My old setup consists of a Marantz PM4400, a Marantz CD5400 and MS 902i speakers. One of the reasons I have decided to upgrade is that I find this combination too bright on occasion (I know that this is a known issue with some Marantz components and the MS speakers). On the other hand, I do not want to get a system without punch and attack either.

I listen to classical music and jazz most of the time, but we also listen to hip hop, singer songwriters and the like on occasion.

Having had the Rega Planet for a few hours only, I am already impressed by its naturalness. By comparison with the Marantz, the realism of instruments is stunning. The question is, how do I build on this when matching with an amp and speakers?

Thanks a lot in advance for any recommendations!

A

Anonymous

Welcome. Please indicate the size of your room. Have you factored in the costs of good interconnects and speaker cables?

I would personally suggest a matching Rega Brio Amplifier that would synergise very well with your Planet and Rega's own R1 speakers. There are quite a few Brio's on E-bay as we speak and both the amp and speakers should cost you a lot less than your budget.

A

Anonymous

EvilWolf, thank you for the quick reply!

I should have expressed myself better. While a move is imminent, we haven't got new place yet. Hence, I don't know yet, what the room size will be. I know that this complicates things and will probably wait till then. I guess your speaker recommendation would suit a smallish room.

I have a Gotham interconnect and will budget for some good quality speaker cable.

The only reason why I am hesitating over the Brio is that it lacks two features which I would quite like to have: a remote control and a headphone socket. But I might still give it a go, many people on the forum seem to rate it highly. Can you say a bit more about why you like it?

A

Anonymous

Hedgehog,

I have listened to the Brio with a Planet on R1's and I felt it sounded really good. This is a one brand system that has good musical synergy across the board, considering your budget. And yes, this would be ideal for a small room across all genres of music.

If a remote control and headphone has a higher priority in your list, however, then there are other makes to consider, but you may not find the same musical cohesion as these.

A

Anonymous

I use my Rega Planet with an Arcam A85 which has headphone output & remote control. No longer available new, but check eBay. Sounds great with my (getting on a bit) MS25i speakers. My previous amp was also a Marantz and I found similar issues with brightness as yourself. The Arcam sounds a lot smoother across all frequencies. A pleasure to listen to.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for this, moongravy.

This is an interesting suggestion, as the Arcam is an attractive amplifier in many respects. It has all the features I need (and more), looks very good and, most importantly, according to many on this forum, sounds very good, too. I was wondering about the synergy with the Rega Planet though, and your comments suggests that it is very good. I will investigate the A85.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Hedgehog:Thanks for this, moongravy. This is an interesting suggestion, as the Arcam is an attractive amplifier in many respects. It has all the features I need (and more), looks very good and, most importantly, according to many on this forum, sounds very good, too. I was wondering about the synergy with the Rega Planet though, and your comments suggests that it is very good. I will investigate the A85.

If you can also stretch to a P85 you won't be disappointed.

A

Anonymous

Should I also consider a Rotel amplifier, such as the R-05, or would that be a mismatch with the Rega Planet? Has anyone tried this combination?

A

Anonymous

All these recommendations are great, the Rega will team with most amplifiers including the Rotel with ease. Might I say though if you don't need a remote control go for the 04. I have listened to both in blind tests and I can't hear the difference.

What matters though is what kind of sound you prefer. Of course the Rotel sound will be very clinical and tight but lean. Same with the Brio. The Arcam will provide a more natural, smooth sound but if you want more excitement it may not deliver.

If I was you I would I would look on ebay for an older amp and speakers. The Planet was and still is a great CD player. It will reveal more than todays £300 amps / speakers will offer you. My suggestion would be to look for an older Roksan Kandy amp and maybe Epos m12. Alternatively you could spend a little more on B&W 685 or Epos M5.

Just a few suggestions...ÿ

A

Anonymous

Octopo:Of course the Rotel sound will be very clinical and tight but lean.
Have you actually heard the Rotel RA series? It's very punchy, exciting and most def not clinical. In fact, it sacrifices a bit of detail over musicality compared to rivals like Marantz.

A

Anonymous

igglebert:Octopo:Of course the Rotel sound will be very clinical and tight but lean.

Yes sir like I said I have heard 04/05?ÿ

A

Anonymous

Thanks a lot to all who replied so far. Any further suggestions?

One more thing, say I end up having a big lounge, will the Brio and Rotel be able to drive floorstanders such as the Rega R3s (which seem to be recommended by many).

A

Anonymous

Hedgehog:Any further thoughts on this, anyone?

Arcam a90 selling for &400 at sevenoakes Timo

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts