Rega Planar 3 cartridge

Antz81

Apr 29, 2020
Visit site
Hi, I have a Rega planar 3 (2016) with the elys2 fitted. I'm looking to replace the cartridge, hopefully with something that will give better sound.
I was thinking of going with a Nagaoka MP-110. Wondering what people think of that option, or if they would recommend something else?
Also wondering what people say about tonearm spacers. Is one needed (if so what thickness)? I see differing opinions on this.

Whilst the Nagaoka are great cartridges they are not the bargains they were years ago. However, to answer your questions, it is a very good cartridge and yes, you will need a spacer but I am unsure of thicknesses available.
Generally when you replace a Rega cartridge with anything else then a spacer will be required.
The way to find out the spacer thickness required is to accurately measure the depth (or height of the body) of the Elys 2 and then see what the difference is between that and the depth of the Nagaoka.
How much will you have to pay for the MP110?
Does your deck have the column mount or newer three-point mount for the tonearm?
There are better methods of height adjustment available for the older column -mount tonearms.

Antz81

Apr 29, 2020
Visit site
Whilst the Nagaoka are great cartridges they are not the bargains they were years ago. However, to answer your questions, it is a very good cartridge and yes, you will need a spacer but I am unsure of thicknesses available.
Generally when you replace a Rega cartridge with anything else then a spacer will be required.
The way to find out the spacer thickness required is to accurately measure the depth (or height of the body) of the Elys 2 and then see what the difference is between that and the depth of the Nagaoka.
How much will you have to pay for the MP110?
Does your deck have the column mount or newer three-point mount for the tonearm?
There are better methods of height adjustment available for the older column -mount tonearms.
I have the three point mount.
Cost of a mp110 here is NZ$350
for a bit of a price comparison here's a few others below
mp150 $800
Elys 2 $285
Exact $600
Goldring 2100 $549
Goldring 2200 $749
Ortofon 2m blue $399
Ortofon 2m Bronze $729

I have the three point mount.
Cost of a mp110 here is NZ$350
for a bit of a price comparison here's a few others below
mp150 $800
Elys 2 $285
Exact $600
Goldring 2100 $549
Goldring 2200 $749
Ortofon 2m blue $399
Ortofon 2m Bronze $729
Thanks,
I don't know too much about the shimming mechanism for the three point mount as I had an older Planar 3 with the column mount.
Can you get any Audio Technica cartridges there for around the same price as MP110?
How much is an Audio Technica AT-VM95SH?
Looking at the MP110 again, it may be that you could fit it without the shims however you would have to measure the height of the cartridge as they don't publish these figures..

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 108165

Done a bit of research and Rega carts appear to be 14mm height, not sure if this includes the stylus, I would guess probably not. Other manufacturers appear to be 18mm height including stylus. So if moving away from Rega then shimming would be advisable. If shimming then watch out for arm clearance to lid, if your Rega has a lid/cover.

Reactions: Al ears
Done a bit of research and Rega carts appear to be 14mm height, not sure if this includes the stylus, I would guess probably not. Other manufacturers appear to be 18mm height including stylus. So if moving away from Rega then shimming would be advisable. If shimming then watch out for arm clearance to lid, if your Rega has a lid/cover.
Good work. One would hope a 4mm shim is not going to affect closing the lid :cool:

daytona600

Google fit a better cartridge to my rega 6,620,000 results you are not alone
just stick to rega mediocre cartridges if you want a better cartridge buy a technics/project & Any cartridge Ever made from any brand can be used
you can spend hours fitting shims , vta risers , removing tonearm & still not get the great results adjusting Vta & Azimuth & Bias
18mm industry standard , rega are 14mm non-standard , almost as if they want you only to use rega cartridges
or get a Wally fulcrum
WallyFulcrum Instructional Video - YouTube

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Rega do spacers for the 3 point arm

I have an old column mount arm, have a Nagaoka MP150 and used the old school spacer, it is only 2mm but i preferred just one spacer to doubling up, seems to look beter to my arm and also balances better.

Antz81

Apr 29, 2020
Visit site
Thanks,
I don't know too much about the shimming mechanism for the three point mount as I had an older Planar 3 with the column mount.
Can you get any Audio Technica cartridges there for around the same price as MP110?
How much is an Audio Technica AT-VM95SH?
Looking at the MP110 again, it may be that you could fit it without the shims however you would have to measure the height of the cartridge as they don't publish these figures..
At-vm95en $329
At-vm95ml $469
At-vm95sh $499

Shims are available, have my eye on a set that doesn't require removal of the tonearm to fit. Just loosen it off and slid them under.

Antz81

Apr 29, 2020
Visit site
Measured the rega to confirm 14mm including stylus. so looks like I would need a 4mm shim. This also looks like it would cause issues with the Lid, but that's a much easier problem to deal with.

Why the VM95ML rather than the VM95SH? since they are so close in price I would have thought the SH makes more sense.
Is the VM95ML a much better sound than the ML-110? or just very similar so if it was cheaper that would make it a better option?

Measured the rega to confirm 14mm including stylus. so looks like I would need a 4mm shim. This also looks like it would cause issues with the Lid, but that's a much easier problem to deal with.

Why the VM95ML rather than the VM95SH? since they are so close in price I would have thought the SH makes more sense.
Is the VM95ML a much better sound than the ML-110? or just very similar so if it was cheaper that would make it a better option?
I was attempting to suggest a cartridge that was as close to the price of the MP-110 as possible, no other reason.
Certainly the SH (shibata) would be a better buy the the ML (microline) but is it worth the extra $30? Yes, I would say so.
Regarding the ML v MP-110 I would say it's a very personal thing and, if they had identical prices I would take the ML, however that's just me and there is really little between them. Overall, if you can afford the VM95SH then that is the one I would recommend.

Antz81

Apr 29, 2020
Visit site
Looks like I can get the VM95SH for $350(shipping and tax included) if I order it from overseas rather than locally so I guess that's the one I'll go for.

djh1697

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
A Mitchell Technoweight is a massive improvement, also, if you can get you arm rewired by Audio Origami, it turns your arm into a giant killer! Then if you decide to upgrade your turntable at a later date, you can take the arm with you. If you are in the UK speak to Peter Swain.

Antz81

Apr 29, 2020
Visit site
The counterweight seems like it gets some good reviews. Will have to look more into that one. Unfortunately I'm about as far from the UK as I can get.

A Mitchell Technoweight is a massive improvement, also, if you can get you arm rewired by Audio Origami, it turns your arm into a giant killer! Then if you decide to upgrade your turntable at a later date, you can take the arm with you. If you are in the UK speak to Peter Swain.
If he is quoting prices in NZ dollars he is unlikely to be in the UK. see post #3

hilroy48

Sep 13, 2020
Visit site
I have a Rega P3, i am running a Goldring 2300 cart , around $900.00 i also upgraded to a Michael lim Aluminum sub plater and acrylic main plater, with a white belt upgrade. Running a Sugden A21 phono pre amp. This setup is for sale, i am upgrading again.

Attachments

• 20211117_085824.jpg
    20211117_085824.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20211117_085842.jpg
    20211117_085842.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 5
I have a Rega P3, i am running a Goldring 2300 cart , around $900.00 i also upgraded to a Michael lim Aluminum sub plater and acrylic main plater, with a white belt upgrade. Running a Sugden A21 phono pre amp. This setup is for sale, i am upgrading again.
If you’re looking to sell them then this isn’t the place. Other forums have Classified sections, or your favourite auction site!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts