Rega P5 Cartridge choices choices

both.of.me

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi I have recently obtained a Rega P5 at a Bargain Price and only 6 months old however i need to sort a cartridge out as it currently doesn't currently have one and im itching to start spinning some records on it!

My budget is around the £300 mark and I'm wondering wether to go for a MC Cartridge as i have heard these give a more detailed sound?

i am currently planing to use this with the phono stage on my Rega Cursa3 but will no doubt be upgrading this soon!

any advice would be greatly appreciated..

A

Anonymous

Unless you have an MC card you'll be limited to high output MC cartridges, such as the Dynavector 10x5 which is the one I'd recommend. Ortofon also make some excellent high output MCs but you have to like their analytical approach.

T

the record spot

The new Audio Technica AT-F7 at £299 apparently is pretty decent and lands slap bang on your radar as well. The Dynavector 10x5 is a long and highly regarded high output MC cartridge too.

On the MM side (which you probably shouldn't discount given the limited MC options if none of those appeal) would be the Ortofon 2M Bronze and Black at around £290 and £350 respectively. Both enjoy solid reviews and I think the body allows you to interchange the stylus (so you could start with the Bronze and upgrade without changing the whole assembly).

Link from the Superfi site:-

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/6719

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
emotion-11.gif
Denon DL160, spend the change on vinyl.
emotion-21.gif

both.of.me

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the reply's i have used the ortofon 2M's before (i used to have a 2M Red on my P3)

always found them a little thin sounding tho

Would the dynavector provide a bit more in the low frequencies? may have to check out that audio technica too

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
The AT would need a MC phono stage (the Rega MC phono is not too shabby)

The biggest problem with choosing a cart is trying to listen to them first.

I would suggest that you have a look around the net for reviews on

High Out Put MC's -

Dennon DL110 or 160 both work very well in MM inputs and enjoy life on Rega arms. The Dyna 10x 5, although I prefer the denon, and the sumiko BPS. with all of these be preprared to have to amp gain a little higher than you would for a MM cart.

I had the use of a 2m blue a little while back, and although I am told it has improved a lot with more use since I borrowed it, It was actually a relief to take it off the arm, and re fit the Denon DL110. The 2m was more about detail than musical conveyance. the sound stage shrunk. The 2m had more impact on guitar leading edge and drum impact, but Vocals lost a lot of realism.

The nicest MM in your budget I have heard for a while was the Nagaoka MP200- a nice balance of detail, Tone, and it managed to convey any musical genre in a balanced, flowing style. Tracked pretty well too.

Overall I would suggest the baby denons, and either spend the balance on Vinyl, save it towards a low output MC and phono stage at a later date, or if you don't have one, but do have a decent library of music on vinyl a wet vac cleaner.

TRENDING THREADS