Rega P3 service, spinning slow

zak99

Dec 24, 2021
Visit site
Hi,

My Rega P3 has been in the loft for a very long time. i replaced both the drive and motor belt and cleaned the ball bearing and its shaft tube etc, put in 10 drops of oil that came with the service kit. It's running really slow. The motor pulley pulled off and I noticed some old oil residue on the small pulley where its shaft goes in. Question is should the pulley be fixed on the motor shaft? this old thread suggests I should use a drop of superglue there. What are your thoughts please?

Rgds

I cannot recall how exactly the pulley on the Planar 3 was fixed to the drive shaft but don't believe it was simply a pressure fit. Did it have a grub screw as some do?
whatever you will have to ensure the whole motor / pulley arrangement is free from any oil and then, if all else fails, superglue is the obvious answer.

Reactions: zak99

sonic1

Dec 27, 2019
Visit site
The pully should be snug to push on, do not use superglue, use a small amount of silicone sealant which will bond it enough to stop it slipping but still make it easy to remove again if required.

The other issue could be the motor is tired, easy to upgrade if needed.

sonic1

Dec 27, 2019
Visit site
He says drive and motor belt not motor the way I read it ?
Remember these early P3's have a little rubber belt/O-ring that holds the motor in place.

If he has replaced the motor I would assume a 24v upgrade ?

He says drive and motor belt not motor the way I read it ?
Remember these early P3's have a little rubber belt/O-ring that holds the motor in place.

If he has replaced the motor I would assume a 24v upgrade ?
Perhaps he will get back and clarify this. The P3 also needs clarification too as the Planar 3 was the one that had the motor held in place by rubber bands

Reactions: sonic1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts