Rega P3-24 or Project Expression III?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I have been using the Project Debut 3 (OM 5E)with Speedbox and Cambridge Audio 640P and NAD C162/C272. Now looking for an upgrade.

Considering P3-24 (with Ortofon 2M Red instead of Elys 2) and Project Expression III (with 2M Red) . Would like your recommendation on both these players. I could not find a What Hi fi Review for Expression III. Thanks.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
hi joseph i am thinking of an upgrade next year, but my friend has just bought the rega p3-24 in black for £400 notes while he said its very good the money he said that soon he is going to upgrade for £150 the psu kit and that would take it above the the expression III. I would side with rega due to the upgrade path and in years i think the rega would hold its value better. i also heard now 3 out of 5 dealer that say project is a bit plug and play and not in the same league as rega. I have a basic project and am chuffed so its all peoples views. if you follow reviews they say project is more of an upfront listen with a slightly more midrange detail, while the rega is said to softer more neutral and have a larger soundstage. so you really have to demo good luck can you please report back if you demo i would like to hear your thoughts.

A

Anonymous

I preferred the Rega over the Xpression. Build quality was on a par, but I think the arm on the Rega is a class above that of the Pro-ject.

iemslie

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm interested in these 2 turntables at the moment.

I've had a look at both and build quality is pretty close, but I'd go as far to say that the Project seems a little bit more solid.

When looking at the price difference between the two the Rega costs around £470 with a 2M Red cart, whereas the Project is as low as £380 online. That's a fair difference.

Now on to the TTPSU, which apparently raises the quality of the Rega beyond the Project, well that's another £150.

Is the Project Speedbox 2 similar in respects to the performance increase, quartz control and all that?

From the website it appears so, but the Speedbox is less than the Rega again at around £100.

P3 + 2M Red + TTPSU = £620

Expression III + 2M Red + Speedbox = £480

I guess based on comments on the forum the Rega is still the better of the 2, but is it £140 better?

A

Anonymous

Thanks, Smuggs, for the detailed comparison. I may not get a chance to demo the P3, as the dealer is quite far away, and they ship against confirmed order. I shall certainly post my observation, once I get to hear the P3. I may decide for the Expression, as I already have the Project Speedbox II. I shall definitely keep you posted as I make my purchase.

A

Anonymous

Thank you for all your inputs. It is quite helpful in making the decision. as I have limited option to get a demo.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts