Rega P3 24 2M Red or Elys 2

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All

I have ordered a Rega P3 24 but not sure if I should get a Elys 2 fitted or use my 2M Red.

Which is the better cartridge.

Also would my 540 phono pre amp be ok or should I upgrade I have a budget of £150 for a phono pre amp.

I have seen in What Hi Fi, Systems ultimate guide Febuary 2008 on page 109 that a Graham Slee Gram Amp is suggested.

I plan to get the tt psu at a later date. All suggestion are welcome.

Thanks

Gtncj

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Gtncj said:
I have ordered a Rega P3 24 but not sure if I should get a Elys 2 fitted or use my 2M Red.

Which is the better cartridge.

The Elys 2 is the better VFM cartridge (it only costs £74 when ordered pre-fitted instead of it's normal RRP of £115.)

It is also 'better' in that it removes all the hassle of fitting and aligning a non Rega cartridge yourself. (No mean consideration given that one false move can wipe out a cartridge with no refund for clumsiness!)

Only consider the Ortofon (or any other alternative to the Elys 2) if either you, or your Rega dealer, are skilled in fitting and aligning cartridges. (Many dealers are not.)

The Rega cartridge has a three point headshell fixing and is (obviously) precisely the right dimensions for a Rega turntable/arm.

Given the choice myself I would go for the pre-fitted, factory aligned Elys 2.

If you 'upped the ante' to a comparison with the Ortofon 2M Blue, then I might go for that instead. (But I am confident in setting up cartridges and have not had any 'disasters' in 30 years.)

I agree with all that chebby has said about the Rega cart. I would add that the P3 24 is discontinued so I hope you are getting a good price, and definitely only paying the package price for the cartridge.

However, do bear in mind you have presumably had the OM5e in your sig and also the 2M Red, so a Rega cart will have a different 'flavour'. If you like the Ortofon sound, you may not like the change (or you may love it).

For anyone without an Ortofon already, I'd go with the Elys.

And stick with the phono pre-amp for now, and enjoy the better TT. A Graham Slee is probably OTT for any of the cartridges we are debating, though great for somethig more exotic (say £300 and upwards).

A

Anonymous

Hello

Thanks Chebby and nopiano for your comments.

The deck is costing £299 which I hope is a good price with no cartridge.

My 2m red I bought last friday and fitted it to my Pro-ject with no problem.

I think I will fit it to the P3 24 and change to a 2m blue stylus at a later date unless the Elys 2 is that much better than the 2m red.

What is the difference in sound from the 2m red and Elys 2.

Thanks for your replys more suggestion or comments are welcome.

Thanks

Gtncj

I can't comment further from personal experience, but you might find the blog identified here worth a read re the Ortofon series.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/turntables-and-lps/personal-view-of-the-ortofon-2m-series-red-blue-bronze-black

A

Anonymous

Hi. We do both Rega and Ortofon and I have listened to both these cartridges. The Rega Elys 2 is tailor made for the Rega arm, thus alignment is guaranteed. The 2M Red will also fit the Rega arm, however, the height of the 2M is higher than the Elys and there is no room for adjustment. It's important that the cartridge be parrallel to the record surface to allow correct tracking angle of the stylus. This is essential if you want the lowest distortion figures from the cartridge. I would say that generally I find the Elys 2 a very smooth performer, sweet top end and relaxed presentation, especially in a Rega system with their loudspeakers. The Ortofons have more punch and vitality, with a noticeably brighter response. With your MA RS6 speakers, the 2M Red could possibly be a bit too much, as these speakers have a crisp, lean sound. Having said that, NAD equipment I find has a pleasant relaxed sound too. Both cartridges will sound good, but, in alignment terms, the Rega Elys 2 is the best.

A

Anonymous

Hi nopiano and Andrew

Thanks I have read the link about the 2m range. It answered my questions about the 2m red.

Also thanks Andrew for your info.

As I have a 2m already I did not want to buy another cartridge.

For clearence I have been told I can adjust the arm support for the raising of the arm.

If not I will try the Goldring 2100.

Would the Rega P3 24 be ok on a granite chopping on top of a Argos matrix hi rack.

Kind regards and thanks for your help.

Gtncj

A

Anonymous

Hi Everybody

Has anybody tried the Edwards audio acrylic platter for the p3 24. Its 3mm lower than the normal platter. They say it make the non rega cartridges lineup better and improves sound quality.

Kr

Gtncj.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts