admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've just discovered this new product on Rega's website, and found a pretty positive review on Stereophile. However, why has What HiFi not reviewed this product?

It seems to me that if Rega wants to target the budget market, What HiFi is the perfect place to showcase their deck, so it would be surprising if they haven't submitted a unit for review. It would be great to see a budget turntable group test, featuring a wider selection of manufacturers than the normal Project, Project and Project, perhaps with a Bush thrown in for good midi-systems measure.

Rega's made a name as a more affordable turntable manufacturer, and yet seems largely ignored by What HiFi. Goldring seems to be making themselves better known, which is good to see, but there must be others. What about it What HiFi? How about a group test with five decks, which only includes one Project deck (I know it's hard to choose), and doesn't mention the Bush model. Up to a budget of say £250 (I think that's what you call budget anyway).

Also, perhaps you could suggest some ways to upgrade a basic turntable, with better cartridges for example. I was astounded at the quality of Goldring's 1006 which, for around £80, is probably the best thing to happen to my father's Planar 3. Also, the 1000 series is upgradeable just by swapping the stylus with a higher-model - how's that for value?!

A

Anonymous

The problem is that there are only really 2 budget decks, the project and Rega, there are other names, such as Goldrings, Nad, but these are based on Rega decks.

I would think most people would know the Regas decks well enough to know the type of performance they offer for the money so I don't think any review of them makes any difference as people are already aware of there history regarding entry level turntables.

A

Anonymous

silly:I would think most people would know the Regas decks well enough to know the type of performance they offer for the money so I don't think any review of them makes any difference as people are already aware of there history regarding entry level turntables.
Perhaps that's true for some of the veterans, but those new to hifi wouldn't be aware of this. Certainly I've seen little press coverage of Rega's tunrtables in the 7 years I've been interested in hifi. I wonder if I'd know about their reputation if it weren't for my father's deck!

TRENDING THREADS