Rega P1 setup advice

Mikey77

Jan 2, 2022
Visit site
I've recently bought a Rega planar 1 turntable which is set up with a Phono box E phono stage to my existing Denon UD-M31 cd player/amp and to the Denon shelf speakers that came with this.
Although, the sound, to me seems reasonably good, I'm a novice to setting up and initially was using what I had rather than buying a dedicated separate amplifier for example. I'd appreciate any advice on improvements that wouldn't cost the earth. Should I be looking to upgrade speakers or amp perhaps?
Thanks.

Attachments

• 16411459641432795671697493064272.jpg
    16411459641432795671697493064272.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 10

Mikey77

Jan 2, 2022
Visit site
First thing I'd be doing is to ensure that the TT and speakers are not on the same surface.
(Complete isolation, not just compliant substances underneath anything).
Thanks Gray. They are at the moment. Might have to have a trial with this, perhaps putting the speakers on their own shelf or something.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

Thanks Gray. They are at the moment. Might have to have a trial with this, perhaps putting the speakers on their own shelf or something.
Yes, currently convenient and looks nice but.....
Ideally, speakers would be on their own stands, out from walls and corners but that's not always practical of course.
Presuming that's a solid wall, speakers or TT would benefit from wall mounting - especially if you like a bit of volume (y)

Reactions: Al ears and Mikey77
Yes, currently convenient and looks nice but.....
Ideally, speakers would be on their own stands, out from walls and corners but that's not always practical of course.
Presuming that's a solid wall, speakers or TT would benefit from wall mounting - especially if you like a bit of volume (y)
The turntable would benefit from wall mounting regardless of volume.... :)

Reactions: Mikey77 and Gray

Mikey77

Jan 2, 2022
Visit site
Thanks. Do you think it would make a difference putting rubber or felt pads under the speakers too or will they be ok just resting on the unit as they are?

Gray

Thanks. Do you think it would make a difference putting rubber or felt pads under the speakers too or will they be ok just resting on the unit as they are?
Those that advocate such things would probably say that's a good idea.
You could experiment to see what you think.

Some sort of rubber feet wouldn't hurt, if only to stop speakers sliding around /prevent scratching:

Reactions: Mikey77

SteveH72

Feb 25, 2020
Visit site
The P1 is a superb entry level turntable and will only sound better with a better amp and - properly positioned - pair of speakers. How much are you thinking of spending?

Mikey77

Jan 2, 2022
Visit site
Thinking of upgrading one bit at a time so maybe putting in £2-300 initially. Perhaps second hand. Not even sure what my budget should be out what I should upgrade first..

SteveH72

Feb 25, 2020
Visit site
If you’re happy to go used, I’d get yourself something like this amp:

with these speakers:

Lots of other options available but a first step to proper sound and you can upgrade further in the future.

Reactions: Mikey77

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts