Rega Isis...Holy Cow!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JamesAvison:
Borrowed one recently - BIG MISTAKE.

The CDS3/XPS2 has now been sold........Yes IMHO it is that good, now suffering Rega Isis tremors waiting for mine to land.

From what I heard from this CD spinner, it seems we have gone full circle from excellent vinyl replay to CD that is as good as vinyl, probably not up with the Radikal'd LP12 or other such fine decks, but gives you the same memorable musical experience as vinyl, leaving you wanting more.......

So are you tempted by the matching Osiris amplifier too?...

osirisisis300dpi.jpeg

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:It's a very ugly piece of kit

Your Unico CDE is no oil painting joel.

Perhaps the previous poster liked the sound rather the looks? (Although I happen to think the Isis looks great.)

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
chebby:

Your Unico CDE is no oil painting joel.

Perhaps the previous poster liked the sound rather the looks?

lol whereas I love the look of the Unico. Big and solid looking.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The Isis case is machined from solid alloy and weighs 19kg. The lid is also solid alloy and is black chromed. (Not 'black chrome effect'.)

The remote is also CNC machined from solid alloy.

Seems solid enough to me from their description. No moving parts or motors involved in presenting and retracting a cd tray either.

Rega also 'archive' three spare laser mechanisms for each owner, so if one (or two or three) ever fails then there is always backup for the lifetime of the machine.

A

Anonymous

chebby:
The Isis case is machined from solid alloy and weighs 19kg.

Even if I were prepared to spend £6000 on a CD player I would resent the fact that I was paying for an unnecessarily fancy remote. I suppose Rega has to live in the real world and cater for the nouveau riches who want people to know they've bought an expensive product...

Also, for purely practical reasons, I would hesitate to buy a CD player that was too heavy for me to carry. Maybe there's a market for a slightly less expensive version with a lighter case and a cheap remote?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
People able to easily afford £6000 CD players are not going to be expecting to carry the equipment themselves and anyway the 'high-end' market is heavily (!) populated by items far heavier than 19kg. (I have seen two men struggling to move a Krell monoblock.)

Even the more humble end of hifi/av has components far heavier than that. (Speakers are an obvious one.) Many AV amps/receivers weigh plenty more.

I am pretty confident the dealer would be happy to do all the installation for that money.

A

Anonymous

I am not particularly taken by the look of the Rega Isis, but to be completely honest I do not care as it could be in a cardboard box if it makes me enjoy my music more.

A

Anonymous

chebby:JamesAvison:

Borrowed one recently - BIG MISTAKE.

The CDS3/XPS2 has now been sold........Yes IMHO it is that good, now suffering Rega Isis tremors waiting for mine to land.

From what I heard from this CD spinner, it seems we have gone full circle from excellent vinyl replay to CD that is as good as vinyl, probably not up with the Radikal'd LP12 or other such fine decks, but gives you the same memorable musical experience as vinyl, leaving you wanting more.......

So are you tempted by the matching Osiris amplifier too?...

osirisisis300dpi.jpeg

If it does what the Isis does for my music then maybe, a home dem will definately be on the cards if my dealer is suitably impressed.

A

Anonymous

chebby:

People able to easily afford £6000 CD players are not going to be expecting to carry the equipment themselves and anyway the 'high-end' market is heavily (!) populated by items far heavier than 19kg. (I have seen two men struggling to move a Krell monoblock.)

Even the more humble end of hifi/av has components far heavier than that. (Speakers are an obvious one.) Many AV amps/receivers weigh plenty more.

I am pretty confident the dealer would be happy to do all the installation for that money.

My dealer would install a product that is significantly less than this, such as a £400 or £500 CD player, and ensure that everything else in the system is spot on and leaving when all is performing at its best.

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
chebby:

I think thats the second time in this thread you've taken a thinly veiled pot shot at people who have expressed an interest in this product, seemingly because of it's price point?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Not at all.

I would buy this set-up like a shot if I could afford it.

I also hope the new range brings Rega as many kudos in the 'high-end' of hifi as they have received in the budget and mid-price markets all these years.

Also I am pleased we have someone here on the WHF (JamesAvison) who is buying the Isis. I want to hear all about it (with photos too please James) whether he lifted it himself or not
emotion-1.gif

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
chebby:

I also hope the new range brings Rega as many kudos in the 'high-end' of hifi as they have received in the budget and mid-price markets all these years.

Wholeheartedly seconded!

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
JamesAvison:

I am not particularly taken by the look of the Rega Isis, but to be completely honest I do not care as it could be in a cardboard box if it makes me enjoy my music more.

before.jpg

A

Anonymous

Now this is what I mean, if it sounds fantastic then it could look like this for me, as it is all about the music!

manicm

JamesAvison:Now this is what I mean, if it sounds fantastic then it could look like this for me, as it is all about the music!

Now JD would vehemently disagree with this - at least machined aluminum knobs need to go with the cardboard veneer.

A

Anonymous

chebby:

Not at all.

I would buy this set-up like a shot if I could afford it.

Also I am pleased we have someone here on the WHF (JamesAvison) who is buying the Isis. I want to hear all about it (with photos too please James) whether he lifted it himself or not
emotion-1.gif

Here we go a report on the Rega Isis..........being a bit lazy this is a copy of a post on another forum, which was in comparison to the CDS3.

I can honestly say that the Isis plays music, it does not have the digital edginess of my previous CDS3 (which is still a good player).
The Isis is like a good record deck, it is effortless, lifelike beyond belief, instruments are as you hear them at concerts-real, this is without loosing the PRaT. I found myself listening to the same CD's on the CDS3, and would need to get to know them through repeated playing to get to like them, with the Isis you just throw on any CD and you are drawn in and taken on a wonderful journey into the music, to the point of addiction, you just cannot draw yourself away from the music.

Now with the CDS3/555PS this is also a good player, it brings control and authority to the music, but still does not lose that digital edginess completely.

In summary I would liken the CDS3 to a very good illusionist - where he/it distracts you by highlighting specific instruments/vocals whilst muting everything else going on in the music, the Isis in comparison presents you with the whole recording with no muting of instruments/vocals making it a much more enjoyable and thoroughly rewarding experience IMHO.

Going from a CD5 to a CD5/Flatcap to a CD5/Hi-Cap to a CDX2/XPS2 to a CDS3/XPS2 I have always felt that the Naim CD Players are very good and the difference between this upgrade path has been discernable, overall these upgrades/CD Players did not have that factor which makes them Special.

Overall IMHO, the bar has been significantly raised by another manufacturer which have produced a product that does not get in the way of the music, or add its particular signature to the music.

A

Anonymous

chebby:

not going to be expecting to carry the equipment themselves and anyway the 'high-end' market is heavily (!) populated by items far heavier than 19kg.

I collected my Pioneer SA-9800 from Eastbourne ... travelled via train/tube and 3 busses all the way back to my village in cambridge ... the last part of the journey was a mile walk from the last busstop in my village ... thing weighs approx 43 pounds ... felt like I done weightlifting and am still suffering to this day, and think I have developed 'tennis elbows'

TRENDING THREADS