Rega Elicit R - worthwhile upgrade?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
This isnt good!

I listened to one at HiFi Lounge on friday for at least an hour, volume pot was halfway too - no problem but I didnt check how hot the amp got - have you spoken to your dealer about this yet?

Dosnt read all that great Steve , does it .

According to Regas bumf 'the Elicit benefits from running warm ' Note WARM not hot.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes Rega state: "The design of the Elicit-R benefits greatly from running warm. To ensure best performance it is recommended to allow the unit to reach optimum temperature before critical listening."

So what is optimum temperature, are you supposed to measure it?

It seems the Regas are class A?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
If the amplifier reaches a temperature liable to cause internal electronic damage, a

thermal protection sensor will shut the unit off. If this occurs there will be no sound

emitted from the speakers. The unit should be turned off for at least 10 minutes to

allow for cooling. After this period, the amplifier should automatically reset and

continue to work normally. If it does not, turn the unit off for a longer period allowing

complete cooling of the amplifier before retrying.

The thermal cutout should only occur with continuous high level driving of a

difficult load. If it occurs under normal conditions, there could be a problem

with insufficient airflow around the heat sinks or a fault with the loudspeakers.

In this case it is advisable to contact your Rega dealer.

One of the design requirements of the Elicit-R was to keep the capacitors in the

signal path to a minimum to prevent unnecessary sound degradation at this crucial

line level stage. In order to achieve this requirement the output of both the pre and

power amplifier are DC coupled. A servo control is applied to the pre-amplifier. In the

unlikely event of a circuit failure causing any one of the above outputs to produce an

excessive DC voltage, the DC protection will activate within milliseconds protecting

any connected device.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
If it occurs under normal conditions, there could be a problem

with insufficient airflow around the heat sinks or a fault with the loudspeakers.

**In this case it is advisable to contact your Rega dealer.**

Because it cant possibly be our amp can it . So why Contact dealer then , lol.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
It seems the Regas are class A?

Not all 100wpc of it! (The heatsinks would need to be the size of engine blocks.)

Have you seen the size of a 100wpc class A amp?

AMS100-Size.jpg

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
On a serious note ,for a change, re the Elicit.

It could quite easily be a bad batch of thermal sensors , or an over sensitive sensor . With ten a penny componants , be it resistors / sensors etc. You will always get a bad boy in the batch one day.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
floyd droid said:

It could quite easily be a bad batch of thermal sensors , or an over sensitive sensor . With ten a penny componants , be it resistors / sensors etc. You will always get a bad boy in the batch one day.

More likely that people have poked the thing into a rack shelf with a couple of inches of headroom or stacked their CD player on top of it.

People are far more unreliable than electrical components.

I would confidently estimate that 80 percent of Elicit-R instruction manuals hit the recycling bin with their plastic covers still sealed.

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
my Brio has been very very hot but has not cut out!

hope its an isolated case!

my Brio never ever have been very hot. only 'warm'. surely notting compared to my ol' Marantz PM78 running in class A.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
... Or maybe it just needs a pink mankini. :dance:

Maybe Gandy should sell mankinis to match the colour of his TTs and those lurid felt mats that are out there.

Colour co-ordinated vinyl spinnin , it could catch on ya know.

jamoli

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
floyd droid said:

More likely that people have poked the thing into a rack shelf with a couple of inches of headroom or stacked their CD player on top of it.

People are far more unreliable than electrical components.

I would confidently estimate that 80 percent of Elicit-R instruction manuals hit the recycling bin with their plastic covers still sealed.

I have it on a Target stand and have even moved it one shelf down and removed the shelf above in order to allow the hot air rising to escape more easily.

It seems to be behaving today. I've had it running for two hours at half volume and no cut out yet. Hope I've not jinxed it by saying that! Will contact Sound Organisation tomorrow to log the problem though to ensure I'm covered for replacement/ refund purposes.

Fingers crossed I won't need it.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
jamoli said:
It seems to be behaving today. I've had it running for two hours at half volume and no cut out yet. Hope I've not jinxed it by saying that! Will contact Sound Organisation tomorrow to log the problem though to ensure I'm covered for replacement/ refund purposes.

Fingers crossed I won't need it.

Yip , contact them. You shouldnt be sitting there fingers crossed. Wick it up to see what happens , if it shuts down then you have a duffer imo.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts