Rega Elicit R - worthwhile upgrade?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
stevebrock said:
josh05 said:
Thanks Steve, I do really love my Brio R. I had a nad 355bee before the brio which was nice but when i got the brio the first thing i noticed was how much better the Rega's stereo image was, much more 3D. Everything was better overall to my ears, im hoping the Elicit will give me a similar upgrade :) Sounds like I'll really like the Elicit. Did you find it a little more forward sounding than the Brio R like David did?

As i said previously, i have had my Brio R for a year now, it really is a lovely amp - The Elicit R is in a different league altogether - can't wait to get one! (after demoing a Nait XS2 first of course)

Sound like a stuck record, but do have a listen to a Leema Elements as well. :)

empacher

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Though Naim are quite forward too!

Ah ok thanks for the clarification, Steve. I was advised to check out the XS because it is a "darker" sounding amp / not bright in the highs. I am likely confusing my terminology and jumping to the conclusion that a forward sounding amp is more likely to yield harsher/brighter highs. Though I have not heard many Naim amps, I've been told they are a natural match with some Totems.

stevebrock said:
Apheta on an RP6 - now there is a thought!

Over on VinylEngine some US peeps have been demoing that combo with good results - a lot citing that maybe an RP6 with Apheta is nearly as good as an RP8

Hi stevebrock

One of my clients is happily using an RP6/Apheta combination
smiley-smile.gif

As good as an RP6/Apheta combination is however the performance of the Apheta is greatly enhanced when paired with an RP8. The extra degree of support provided by the RP8 enables the RP8/Apteta to resolve even more detail and depth which is coupled with a highly stable and tightly focused soundstage that is projected with lightning fast transients 8) This is why RP8 costs £800 more then the RP6.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

stevebrock said:
empacher said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
....the Elicit is a little more forward sounding, which along with the RX6's relatively bright top end might be a little too much for some.

Interesting. That may be a challenge for me. I'm thinking that I need to focus my search on slightly warmer, laid back amps, but I guess only a demo will help me know for sure. Looking forward to a bit of a comparison to the XS2.

Though Naim are quite forward too!

I've found that Naim Nait 5i bludgeons the music, while the XS is far more refined IMHO. BTW, CD5i-2 isn't forward at all but it does exhibit a fabulous musical whole.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
just going on the positive reviews, having only heard it briefly in showroom (not listening room) but if you can afford it, I would say get it. If it is a significant improvement on the brio-r, it must be worth the money. The brio-r is awesome itself.

Larry

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Anybody thinks that Elicit -R would work nicely together with Kef LS-50 ? I know LS-50 will perform great with some more expensive amps that the budget range and I can´t seem to get them out of my head after I heard them months ago. They were very detailed, maybe that´s too analytical together with Elicit-R :? ? I like my sound a little bit on the warm side, just a touch.

Larry said:
Anybody thinks that Elicit -R would work nicely together with Kef LS-50 ? I know LS-50 will perform great with some more expensive amps that the budget range and I can´t seem to get them out of my head after I heard them months ago. They were very detailed, maybe that´s too analytical together with Elicit-R :? ? I like my sound a little bit on the warm side, just a touch.

It's more about system synergy rather than individual talents. This is why we (I) always encourge a dem to see whether a certain combo works for you. Hi-fi, unlike most interests, is so ruthlessly subjective.

Personally I'd look at Arcam A38 with LS50, but you'd need to test this theory for yourself. Gawd sake, don't buy without hearing first. Or if you can't dem then make sure the dealer you buy from has a returns policy.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Its a fad and it'll pass.

The Kef's are a fad and they will pass.

Hifi is full of fads ... and they all pass.

Buy a parrot. It will outlive and annoy you for decades. - Thats not a fad :)

regards

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Heard the Elicit R with an RP6/Exact and RS5 speakers..........loved it!

I am going to buy one shortly but before I do will have a listen to a Naim XS2, should know tomorrow when my nearest Rega/Naim will get one - this week I think.

I have pretty much made my mind up on the Elicit R, but for the sake of discounting Naim will give the XS2 a listen.

A

Anonymous

drummerman said:

regards

Fantastic advice love it

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin said:
drummerman said:

regards

...and you can't upgrade or add cables to a parrot. :cheer:

Are you quite sure about that?

Genetics, robotics, hybrids. Who knows could sound fantastic

andybeau said:
plastic penguin said:
drummerman said:

regards

...and you can't upgrade or add cables to a parrot. :cheer:

Are you quite sure about that?

Genetics, robotics, hybrids. Who knows could sound fantastic

Not without a restraining order.

I suppose you start with the enty-level version: A parakeet. :twisted:

jamoli

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
I've had my Elicit R since last week and whilst it sounds stunning, it is not without it's problems, which i'm hoping Rega/the dealers will sort for me.

As has been noted, the unit runs very hot indeed. I have mine on a Target Audio open shelved stand and despite plenty of airflow to the top and sides, after 30 minutes or so at half volume (not ridiculously loud via my B&W 685s) the inbuilt thermal protection circuitry cuts in and shuts off the amp, re-booting it 10 minutes or so later.

As you can imagine, this is hugely annoying. The only option was to point a room fan at the unit - not ideal!

It will be interesting to see if this problem is widespread once more of the amps get into people's homes and more importantly if Rega can sort a fix!

tomlinscote

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Class A amps will run hotter than others as their output devices are on all the time, class B are on half the time and Class D even less or they use some other technique.

It does not sound right that it cuts out after 30 mins though!! I had a Denon that used to do that even if playing really quietly - turned out it was part of a faulty batch that had not enough heatsink grease applied so it was replaced.

Tommo

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
This isnt good!

I listened to one at HiFi Lounge on friday for at least an hour, volume pot was halfway too - no problem but I didnt check how hot the amp got - have you spoken to your dealer about this yet?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
tomlinscote said:
Class A amps will run hotter than others as their output devices are on all the time, class B are on half the time and Class D even less or they use some other technique.

It does not sound right that it cuts out after 30 mins though!! I had a Denon that used to do that even if playing really quietly - turned out it was part of a faulty batch that had not enough heatsink grease applied so it was replaced.

Tommo

Yes I know that but say A/B class amps, the Rega seem to get very hot, yet the Arcam I had and NAD never got hot, in fact I have never had an amp that runs hot, is it a design fault?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts