Rega elex r VS Roksan kandy k2 (including humming question)

calientedrama

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Dear All,

I am tried to decide whether to buy the Rega elex r or the Roksan kandy k2. I have only demo'd the latter. Any suggestions? The amp will be pairer with cambridge aero 6 or with monitor audio rx6.

In addition, is there a humming issue with the rega elex r (i ve read many things regarding rega brio humming).

In addition, when I visit a store they suggest to buy an amp and a pre-amp. Any idea/suggestion on that solutione?

Thanks a lot!

Happy_Listener

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
I had the Rega Elex-R for one month in my home on a long term demo. I never once heard any humming or noise. It was a very quiet amp.

I have not heard the CA Areo 6 speakers but I know Monitor Audio speakers failry well. If I were to choose MA then I would probably go for the Roksan K2BT. The amp uses MOSFET output transitors and these tend to make the sound a little more warmer and easier on the ear. Besides that the Roksan is putting out about double the power rating into 8 and 4 ohm loads as the Elex-R can. The sound and power should match up with the RX6 or Silver 6's very well.

calientedrama

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your reply!

I find the sound of CA a more neutral in comparison to MA. BTW I was refering to Roksan k2 (the older model) and not the BT.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
The k2 is considerably cheaper, even 20 months ago it was only £650 new when it was still current, not sure the current price. Have you heard it with your speakers?

calientedrama

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
I don't think that this is the price. Even for the kandy k2 (and not the newer model k2bt) the price is on average 750.

I will demo both by the end of the week.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
£750 is way too much for the k2, I could have bought for £645 new nearly two years ago without even bargaining. I believe you can get the BT version for around £750 or less. The k2 is an obsolete model, why do you want that? If it's £500 then yes maybe.

yani

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi

I have had the Elex now for about 3 weeks in my system. It has no noise whatsoever coming from the case and has orked perfectly over the time I have had it. I have not heard the Roksan so cant compare. All I can say is the Rega took around 20 or so hours to settle down as it sounded a little ragged. I actually thought I had made an error in my purchase. Different animal after 60 hours or so. It is very revealing but has so much grip over my 4 ohm Celestions. Bass is powerful with a lovely 3d sound stage. Nice amp. I actually owned the Brio R for a year but felt it lacked clout and scale with the Celestions. The Elex has put a big smile on my face where thats concerned. Just be careful what you match it with though.

calientedrama

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Thank you all!

Unfortunately I won't be able to demo Roksan. My speakers are the Cambridge aero 6. I will demo Rega elex and Marantz pm8005m today so I will write my impressions!

Geddy76

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm considering either the K2/Brio-r (wallet friendly)/Elex-R. I've got a pair of Kef LS50s and they are being powered by my Rotel Ra-05, and I desperately want to upgrade.

rainsoothe

Geddy76 said:
I'm considering either the K2/Brio-r (wallet friendly)/Elex-R. I've got a pair of Kef LS50s and they are being powered by my Rotel Ra-05, and I desperately want to upgrade.

Hi. For them LS50s, Roksan Kandy K2, Croft Phono Integrated and maybe Arcam A19 make a very decent audition list.

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
Geddy76 said:

Funny you should say that im considering the same myself - along with the Arcam FMJ-A19. I am keen to buy an amp i can upgrade to a bi-amp system in the future, so the Roksan and Arcam make sense to me...plus i used to have an Arcam in the 90's and loved it, so hoping the A-19 has similar traits.

Anyone compared the Arcam A19 / Roksan Kandy k2 / Elex-R?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts