Question Rega Elex-R vs Marantz PM7005

Tazz77

Nov 13, 2020
Visit site
Hello,

I currently have the marantz pm7005 but i would like to upgrade a bit more premium to the Rega elex-r but i dunno if its going to be a significant step up.
My speakers arent really premium Dali zensor 7 and the Kef Q100.
Maybe someone here has heard the the combo Rega Elex-R with Dali zensor 7 and if that will be a good match.

Thx for the replies :)

Hello,

I currently have the marantz pm7005 but i would like to upgrade a bit more premium to the Rega elex-r but i dunno if its going to be a significant step up.
My speakers arent really premium Dali zensor 7 and the Kef Q100.
Maybe someone here has heard the the combo Rega Elex-R with Dali zensor 7 and if that will be a good match.

Thx for the replies :)
Each amp is totally different tonally. I know Marantz amps well, although not your particular model and I have heard the Elex-R in a shop demo. The Rega is more energetic, whereas the Marantz tends to have a more conservative presentation.

TBH I would perhaps look at better speakers, such as Kef R3 or Dali Oberon models

matthewpiano

I agree with @plastic penguin's summation of the amplifiers. If you want more PRAT you might find the Rega a decent upgrade, but a step further to the Elicit-R would pay bigger dividends. If you are happy with the Marantz sound but want more of it, then I'd say you need to be looking at the PM-KI Ruby for an upgrade that will satisfy.

With regard to speakers, the Oberon range replaced the Zensor range and though there are improvements, it's not enough to make the upgrade worthwhile. You'd need to be looking at Opticon or Rubicon if staying with Dali.

KEF R-series would certainly represent a worthwhile upgrade from the Q-series, but the speaker market is the most diverse sector of 2-channel hi-fi and the huge range of choice out there is worthy of lengthy exploration and auditioning.

I agree with @plastic penguin's summation of the amplifiers. If you want more PRAT you might find the Rega a decent upgrade, but a step further to the Elicit-R would pay bigger dividends. If you are happy with the Marantz sound but want more of it, then I'd say you need to be looking at the PM-KI Ruby for an upgrade that will satisfy.

With regard to speakers, the Oberon range replaced the Zensor range and though there are improvements, it's not enough to make the upgrade worthwhile. You'd need to be looking at Opticon or Rubicon if staying with Dali.

KEF R-series would certainly represent a worthwhile upgrade from the Q-series, but the speaker market is the most diverse sector of 2-channel hi-fi and the huge range of choice out there is worthy of lengthy exploration and auditioning.

Think the Elex-R is more a sideways step with the Marantz. Certainly both midrange Regas are the closest to the Leema I've come across in terms of presentation.

For the OP's Marantz I'm also thinking about MA Silver 200. Haven't heard that particular combo but my old RS6s sounded really good with the Marantz 8003 and 7001KI.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts