Rega Elex-r Owners...

Stevie9

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I just wanted to know why you chose this amp..? What are its good points and bad points.. it would also be good to know what is your front end and which speakers you use. Do you use it with headphones too? Did you audition it against any others?

I am in the market for an amp. I currently have an Audiolab 8000a mk2 which does have tone controls (which I like fiddling with). It's a superb amp but I am shortlisting a possible replacement. I was told that in todays money it would be worth around £900. So thats why I am considering the Rega Elex-r.

Thanks

Ivek

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I've compared this amp with Cyrus 8 amp driving Dynaudio DM 3/7, PMC 23. I liked Rega better since it had wider and deeper soundstage, better separated instruments, more musical and dynamic, engaging (energetic) sound. I was attracted with excellent three dimensional sound. On audition combos were Rega Elex-R and Rega Apollo-R vs Cyrus 8 & Cyrus 6 cd. Maybe Cyrus had detailed sound, but with some music I noticed harshness and sibilance, wich I didn't hear with Rega.

IMHO good point are excellent sound, built quality, phono input. Shortcomings are no output for headphones, remote control has no direct button for selecting input (you have to press buttons to go up or down to select desired input) and it's of low quality. But I don't bother.

I have to mention that one bloke at audion liked Cyrus better. I would advice You to audition this amp against your own Audiolab, preferably at home.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts