Rega dac versus stello DA 100 signature

henne_j

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I currently own a Stello DA100 signature but when I stream from my sonos connect I still sometimes have the feeling that although there is plenty of detail it sounds a bit too harsh. I notice an improvement with Qobuz as a source instead of Deezer but still would prefer a warmer less detailed sound over analytical and 'neutral'. I guess it also has to do with the acoustic properties of my room (lot's of glass), so a more laid back image would be better.

From reviews I understand that the DA100 sig is rather forward as are my speakers (total difference compared to dynaudio for example which were too laid back to my taste (focus 160)), but how would it compare to the rega dac? Are there other dacs I need to consider? What about the ones with tube output stages?

My budget is flexible but I would prefer not to spend in excess of £1000 unless it's really worth it. More than £2000 is certainly out of the question....

Thanks,

H

henne_j

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Although no replies, I still want to make a contribution to this forum. Instead of buying a new dac I took the plunge and bought myself a Behringer DEQ2496. Last weekend I got the chance to start measuring and putting in a curve after averaging on about 10 measurements.

Although I was sceptical I have to say that this has made an enormous improvement. Although I am only using the EQ upto a frequency of about 2khz, with barely any correction between 250hz and 2khz but some more drastic measures at 100hz (+6db ) and 40 hz (-6db) my set is sounding far more in balance. I now get bass when I expect it and it's no longer leaving me wanting for more, it is tight, drums sound great. Due to these changes the whole system sounds more rounded, harshness has changed into detail.The sound is also far bigger, I now have a feel on why I spent that much on speakers and amp a year ago...

For all people with similar complaints as in my first post, give the behringer a go. Must be the best €300 I ever spent on audio. Note that I am using it solely in the digital space (Sonos - Toslink - Behringer - AES/EBU - Stello DA100 - AES/EBU (analog) - M6i).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts