Rega DAC demo at last!

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Picking up at weekend :grin:

Finally decided to try out the REGA DAC as looking for improvements to my SBT source setup.
I have found the sound is best using SBT DAC rather than Dac magic 1 overall, even though loosing some clarity/detail, the overall sound is easier to listen to, especially at the top end.
The Linear Power Supply has helped calm things but not yet settled on a sound thats relaxed enough for me and still a bit hard to listen to at times, when at moderate volume. Think the Neats may not help for poorer recordings also, however good recordings sound very good indeed.

Other things I have found useful are LAN over WLAN was a fairly big improvement. Also decoding FLAC on PC helped as did Soundcheck toolbox 3. Difficult to quantify but I would not be without SBooster linear PSU or LAN connection hearing with and without over last few months.

I have to agree with some posters, especially NADS that the DAC in SBT is indeed rather good.

I hope that the REGA comes across warmer / less fatiguing however and also brings a bit more detail texture and perhaps even more rhythmn to the mix.

Hope its not a let down.

Also, I should be getting loan of a wireworld matrix passive mains block + stratus 5 power cord to see if this improves things. Dealer also said about loan of Naim powerline which is frightfully expensive but be very interested to what extend (if any) this changes the sound for better/worse.

Anyone got experience with these power products?
Ambrose

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
there's a nice review of Rega DAC that just recently popped up on Stereophile. technical review says that there's a leaking of AC into signal (elevated noise level at 60Hz and 120Hz) which may correlate with larger than life bass output from the Rega. if you're into bloated bass then you might like it. if you're like it lean and tight you might look for a DAC with better sorted PS.

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Oldric.

I'll check this review out. Had heard the bass wasn't shy on the Rega but not bloated.

I do like some bass (heavier rock music) but hopefully not overpowering.

Good that I can try out at home to see (hear).

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I really don't recognize my Rega DAC in this article. The Rega DAC provides some solid bass, but *bloated* or larger than life bass output? No way.

Just take a listen.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts