Rega Brio

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

rainsoothe

jonathanRD said:
Nos said:
Thanks for your replies, I will keep you informed but I do feel a little out of my depth with the amount of kit and knowledge some of you have, what is streaming? and what benefit does it bring? in simple terms please. Nos

In simple terms, streaming is receiving and playing music from the internet. If you watch a video from Youtube, that's streaming too.

Spotify and Tidal are two examples of music streaming services. The benefit is that you have access to millions of songs, thousands of artists across multiple genres. There are genre and mood specific playlists, and based on your listening history, some produce playlists based on that too. In most cases you have to pay a monthly fee, but for that you get this massive range of music to explore.

You can stream music via your computer, but also using a dedicated hifi streamer, and you can use a smart phone or tablet as a controller. There are multiple options to stream, but the above is intended as a basic introduction.

Streaming is not done only via the Internet, you can also stream music stored on any hard drive type device connected to your home network - and some reports are that wave rips (which are big, uncompressed files) still sound better than compressed lossless files, like flac and alac. This probably doesn't apply to hi-res flac, dad mqa or whatever.

This all basically means you can have all your cd collection stored onto a NAS (network attached storage - this is basically a mini-computer that you keep always on, it's quiet and unobtrusive, and it's main purpose is storage, and is connected to your router) and you play the music through the streamer (usually controlled from a smartphone or tablet), which is connected to your amp.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Since you are new to streaming, thought I'd suggest a simple streaming setup.

What you need :

1. Smart phone or tablet with Bluetooth.

2. Bluetooth audio receiver. There are many good cheap ones. There are very good arcam models you can buy from richer sounds or seven oaks audio video. Should cost you anywhere between 50 to 150 quid.

Setup :

1. Install the free Spotify app on your smart phone or tablet from the app store.

2. Connect your phone or tablet via Bluetooth to the Bluetooth audio receiver.

3. Connect the Bluetooth audio receiver"s RCA outs, to the line-in's of the rega brio.

4. Open the Spotify app and select any song to play through your system.

This is not the best sounding option, but good enough for most of us.

If you like what you hear, then maybe you can buy a dedicated streamer for superior sound quality. All the best :)

Nos

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
Thanks will try that, looked at streaming amps nice Pioneer one at about £450, will see how the phone one works, the proper amp will have to wait until the house is re-built see if I have any change left, thankyou all for your input. Nos

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I was under the impression that you had already bought the rega amp. However if you haven't, then streaming amps are actually a good alternative. Since you have the concept 40's, thought it would help to know that I run the same with a bluesound powernode. And am happy with the results. This is actually a streaming amp
and a very good one at that. IAM quiet sure you can audition that in richer sounds or most audio stores. All the best :)

Nos

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
Hi newlash09, yes I already have the Rega, so will look at the cheaper alternative, any reccomendations about mid range £100 mark? Thanks Nos

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts