Rega Brio-R or Elex-R with Monitor Audio Bronze 2

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
Hello everybody!

Has anyone tried this combination (Rega Brio-R amp or Elex-R amp + Monitor Audio Bronze 2 speakers)? If so, can you tell me how they go along?

I have seen that it goes well with other MA speakers, but I would like to hear if someone tried this particular combination.

Thank you!

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Denis Drljević said:
Hello everybody!

Has anyone tried this combination (Rega Brio-R amp or Elex-R amp + Monitor Audio Bronze 2 speakers)? If so, can you tell me how they go along?

I have seen that it goes well with other MA speakers, but I would like to hear if someone tried this particular combination.

Thank you!

Do you own? The rega or monitor audio?

I personally hate the monitor audio sound but many on here love it but its what you think that matters. Can you arrange a demo?

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Denis Drljević said:
Hello everybody!

Thank you!

Hi Denis, you might not get many replies as the MA Bronze 2 are around £280 in the UK. There is probably not many people pairing them with the Rega Brio-R at £598 and it's highly unlikely that they will pair them with the £895 Elex-R.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
The marmite of the speaker world!! I'm a big fan of the MA sound (and build quality) although having never owned or heard a Rega amp I unfortunately can't comment on the synergy between the 2 brands sorry.

Welcome Denis...

Why have you just shortlisted Rega? They are a good brand but others are equally as good with MAs: Arcam, Creek, Roksan Kandy...

I would listen to as many different makes as possible. Each will give you a slightly different presentation.

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
Hi!

I would prefer Brio becouse it seems very practical (to cary when travel from town to town or from apartment to apartment - becouse I move a lot). It also looks good and I like the simplicity of this amp.

Other option would be Arcam FMJ A19, becouse it costs almost the same as Brio, here in Croatia.

I'm planning to do demo of these two amps. I didn't think about other options.

Denis Drljević said:
Hi!

I would prefer Brio becouse it seems very practical (to cary when travel from town to town or from apartment to apartment - becouse I move a lot). It also looks good and I like the simplicity of this amp.

Other option would be Arcam FMJ A19, becouse it costs almost the same as Brio, here in Croatia.

I'm planning to do demo of these two amps. I didn't think about other options.

I still think it'll be worthwhile hearing other amps just to give some sort of comparison. I'd also mentiuon the newer Cyrus amps and Leema Elements. Both of these are compact.

Denis Drljević said:
Do you think Cyrus 6a would be better match?

I'll give it a try. They are in the same shop, so I can audition them A to B.

Thank you!

The only Rega I've heard is the Elicit-R but the any amp around that sort of money will be an eye-opener. I've not heard a bad amp in years. Well worth trying the Cyrus 6, although it is only 40 watts per channel.

rainsoothe

Hi. I agree with mister PP, you should demo more. I personally am not a fan of Rega amps, and not so keen on MA either - but haven't heard their latest itteration. But trust your ears more then reviews or what others say - use that only as a guideline. Take your time during shop demo, bring some CDs with different kinds of music and listen to 2-4 tracks on each amp - tracks that you know very well.

The Brio - R might be a great all-rounder for you. And yes, you should also shortlist the Cyrus and, for budget extremes, Nad D3020 and Naim Unitiqute 2 (which, imo, is a no-brainer if you have that sort of money). This is for small form-factor. Normal sized, take a look at the afforementioned amps: Arcam A19 (great scale and musicality, could do with tighter bass, but it's not bothersome), Creek A50 (quick sound, but lacks some cohesion imo), Naim Nait 5si (some find it bright, I don't - if partnered well), Roksan Kandy K2 (pretty neutral sound, doesn't have the rhythmic drive of the Naim).

For the record, if you want a killer system that's also small and neat and easy to move around as your target, Naim Unitiqute 2 + Neat Iota or PMC DB1 Gold are it.

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
I own MA Bronze 2 and Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus with Kingrex PSU. I need a good amplifier for that combination.

Brio-R captures my attention for couple of reasons, but I would like settle down for a while with this system, so if the synergy is not good I would go for something else.

I will try to organise demo in shop, and decide. Altough I don't have much experience with demos and I don't know how good can I estimate the sound in that short amount of time.

I didn't understand why people don't pair these two. Becouse MA's are cheaper?

Thank you once again!

Denis Drljević said:
Thank you!

I think it will be Brio or Cyrus. I don't need dac in amp, and I have read too many comments about that Naim and MA don't go well together.

For what it's worth, I've heard Cyrus 8 with MA GX100 (Gold range) and it sounded impressive.

As always, everyone hears something different, but as mentioned by me and others the key word is: Dem, dem, dem...

manix

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Cost of the Cyrus 6a is a bit of a bargin at the minute as it's a run out model (I think it will be only the 6dac in the future).

I got mine for £400 and it was not a factory reprocessed. Trouble is supply is getting low now. Not withstanding that definetly demo the amps. I'm really not sure on the partnership with MA bronze. For my taste I'm not a MA fan anyway but it's your ears and if it makes you happy that is all what counts at the end of the day.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts