Rega Brio R: L/R output unbalance?

Concertino

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Dear all,

Picked up the new Rega Brio R and matching DAC last Friday.

Connected to my Sonus Faber Concertino Domus, the sound is outright gorgeous! Very analog sounding, tight, punchy, rhytmic, warm and open. And then some.

BUT, the left output channel seems to be somewhat louder than the right. Tried all switching possible with regards to equipment,speakers etc.

I wonder if this could be a pot issue? I tried to switch speakers to a set of System Audio Saxo speakers.

Beeing a harder load for the amp, i had to crank up the volume quit a bit to achieve the same listening level as with the SFCD`s.

And when cranking up above 9, the balance is good!

Mind you, it`s not a big difference, but as most of my listening is done on low volume ( *i know I know.. :oops: ) i would like to have the amp work perfect below 9 o`clock as well.

Anyone?

Best regards,

Erik (Oslo, Norway)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Welome to the forum; and I can see that your system will give a lot of pleasure

Try connecting the speakers the other way round (ie Right speaker into the left side of the amp and vica versa).

If the left side is still louder, it's a positioning problem (eg. near a corner). If the problem changes sides, then its an amp problem.

Make sure it's not in the music (sorry, but just checking).

matthewpiano

This is a real bugbear of mine and I've got rid of several amps because of this issue. At one time Cambridge Audio amps were terrible for it, but I also found the same problem with a Denon PMA510AE. The simple fact is there are amps that don't suffer from this issue - the newer x50 series CA amps have resolved the issue, and the Marantz, Rotel, and Arcam amps I've had have had no such problems. It certainly isn't acceptable on a £500 amp.

I would be very surprised if a Rega product suffered from such a basic issue, so I would suggest you go back to the supplying dealer and try their demo unit to see if it exhibits the same problem. If it doesn't then you know yours is a one-off and you should ask for a replacement.

T

the record spot

Yep, return ASAP. Assuming you bought this in the UK (sorry, haven't read your post beyond "bought these last Friday"!), then you're within your rights to ask for and get a new replacement for a fautly item you've bought within 28 days. Take it back, as Pink Floyd once sang!

Concertino

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys, for tips and advice
smiley-smile.gif

I got the amp here in Norway from http://stereofil.no/

Nice enthusiast shop, so i don`t expect any problems having it fixed or get a replacement unit.

This might sound a little odd, but i think i will have it running "as is" for a couple of week to se if it evens out(?)

The level difference is audible, but minor.

It would be great to measure the outputs myself with a multimeter? Could this be a simple task..?

BR,

Erik

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
This is usually down to using cheap volume pots - many amplifiers over the years have suffered from this. It is usually noticed when turning the amp down very low, almost to the point of silence,and suddenly, one channel will disappear, while the other one can still be heard. No one else seems to have had this problem, so it just looks like the unfortunate case that you either have a faulty pot, or just one that isn't giving 100%. I doubt it'll even out over time, so it'd be best to get it replaced.

Concertino

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Just back this morning from vacation, i was eager to do some decibel measuring.

This is what i did:

Downloaded a 1khz Wav mono test tone on my Mac.

Downloaded Decibel app on my HTC Legend.

Attached the HTC to a chair 1m from the dedicated speaker/cable set i decided to use. Facing the speaker.

Connected my Mac to the Brio input nr.5 with an analog cable. (Excluding the DAC from the test)

I tested 4 volume positions between 6 and 9 on the volume wheel. I do most of my listening in this area.

First left channel, then right. Without touching the volume of course.. And then several times back and forth before moving to the next volume level for cross references.

Results:
Volume 1: Left- 61db / Right- 58 = 3db offVolume 2: Left- 63,2db / Right- 61,6db = 1,6db offVolume 3: Left- 78db / Right- 77db = 1db offVolume 4: Left- 81,5db / Right- 81-81,5db= 0-05db offNot 100% accurate results, but i clearly proves what my ears heard. Focus on the left channel, then it evens out.Just sent an email to the dealer. I want to get a new unit as it will probably take some weeks getting it fixed at Rega. If this is typical for this amp, i need to look for another brand. But that would suck, cause i really love the sound that this little black box delivers.Regards,Erik

I hope you can get another and it is OK, Erik.

This is one thing that listening tests don't easily reveal, and your sound-level tests (basic though they may be) give you some useful 'evidence'.

The fact it was audible certainly suggests it is 'out' by at least 2db, which would be bearable for a cartridge, but terrible for electronics.

Concertino

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks nopiano man:)

I think i remember from tech.school that you need to double the output power to increase the volume 3db(?)

Considering it is 3 db unbalance on low volume.. :?

The stereo image is clearly focused to the left as well.

The Brio is replacing my Onkyo A5 VL Digital Amp which had no such balance issues.

Let`s hope it not turns out that you Brits can`t make proper amps ;)

Kidding -had a great Arcam A85 some months back. -But actually, that unit was manufactured in China..(?) Hmmm..

BR,

Erik

Mooly

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Do you have digital multimeter ? as you can do much more meaningful testing by measuring the AC voltage across each speaker. Use a test tone as you have done... and don't go to loud, 2.83 volts equates to 1 watt into 8 ohms and will seem LOUD.

Try some measurements from low levels.

Concertino

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi

I actually DO have a multimeter, but i believe that my test is good enough to prove constant and significant off-set between L/R channel.

I am returning The Brio this afternoon and will leave further investigation up to people who knows what they are doing;)

But thanks for advice!

Will update later.

BR,

Erik

Concertino

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Unit delivered for testing at the dealer and probably returned to the importer of Rega after first check.

I cannot live a day without a music so back from work, i connected my recently purchased digital amp, the Onkyo A-5VL.

Stereo image was right back where it should be :clap:

I am not sure i like what i am telling you now guys..I used the Onkyo on System Audio speakers earlier and enjoyed it.

What HiFi was not found of it, but in Norway and Germany it scored superb. Budget amp of the year 2010/11 in Sound and Vision(translated from NO: Lyd og Bilde) Keywords: Very natural/neutral, very quick, balanced, open and a little warm.

I did not give this amp much time with the Concertinos, cause i got the Rega set only a couple of days after i got the Conc.

But enough time to say that i did not like that match too much. I used the Onkyos built-in DAC which are supposed to be good.

The set-up this afternoon is similar except for one component..

See, i kept all digital sources already connected to the Rega DAC (for conveniece really) and plugged the DAC further into an analogue input on the Onkyo. Man-o-man..it sings and it swings! And the nice rythmic, analogue sound is still there :rockout:

The bass is a tad leaner i think, and it will probably (and hopefully..) be revealed negative points, but right now i`m having a blast ripping through my reference music! Quit shocked that the Rega DAC alone can transform the whole system sound to this.

I love the little Rega amp for it`s style and matching good looks with the DAC as well, but it better be balanced when returning or..:?

Another day, another surprising HiFi lesson. :cheers:

Concertino

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
:dance: yes Yeeesss!

Today, the nice guys at the dealer here in Oslo gave me a new Brio R.

They "tested" the amp i had, but they could not hear nor measure (measure like i did with a db app) any unbalance. But since they did the test in the shop where the db noise floor is much higher and after talking to one of the employees, i suspect they listened with the volume cranked up beyond my normal listening level. And as my simple test shows, the unbalance is only there on low volume.

Anyways, i have not bothered to measure the new amp. Everything sounds perfect :clap:

And the sound quality IS better than the Onkyo.. Brits DO make great HiFi gear :D

:cheers: from Oslo

Concertino

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks!

It shure does.

And now that the Rega is performing as it should, i would love to try some compact "Made in UK" floor standers like the Spendors (A3?) Neat Motive 2, Tannoy DC6T Sign. etc.

BTW: I just realized that you have the big brothers of mine in your HiFi! I love the SF`s but sometimes it would be great with a more fast paced, not so warm sound. But i think they are keepers as i can listen to them for hours. Never bleading ears from them babies.

BR,

Erik

Zax89swe

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Is my brio-r defective? I hear much hum from one channel from input 1 and a slightly buzz hearable from 1-2meters from inputs 2-5, Id used the product for 3month.. Will the warranty cover this?

domenn

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I've got 3th unit of brio r , frst one had a problem with input switching , 2nd with humming left channel . we checked demo unit at the shop there was hum too but not so much ( expensive main blocks ) , but they exchanged my old one (one week old ) for new .

Zax89swe

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
well now when I can send it back I started to feel unsure about if its a enought problem, obviously the other channel hum aswell but not even near as the other assuming defective channel, when i connect turntable and earthcable it sparks quite much after like 30% volyme i can also hear something loose in the unit hmm.. Maybe im just sensitive?

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I bought a new one in November and not had any problems. The hum on input 1 will invariably be to do with positioning the tonearm cable.

I have nothing but positive feelings about this amp. Unlike some quite expensive boxes from a very well-known manufacturer which I previously owned, this little gem makes me smile whenever I look at it. :clap: Can't wait for the next round of products from Rega, including maybe a new deck.

Zax89swe

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
You dont get a hum from input 1 even without a turntable? Thanks for reply. yeah when it comes to sound quality im really pleased to, openly vivid, texture rich and rythmic perfect. Future rega amplifier will get my attention for sure.

Zax89swe

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I can hear a buzz across the room 3-4meters from one speaker in quite inviroment and when im going to buy a external dac and build a completely silent htpc computer the buzz would be even more be hearable, the second speaker is only hearable from 30cm so its a bit diffrence there..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts