Rega brio-r.......an improvement ?

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I have a nad c326 at the moment.

I'm very interested in the new Brio amp.........I think this will be an improvement over the nad ?

I'd like to maintain the warm sound of the nad though.

Any thoughts ?

Cypher, Should be quite an improvement from what I have heard about it. Cannot say I have personally heard one but that's pretty much irrelevant. Not knowing what the rest of your set-up is or room characteristics I can only suggest you try to audition one in your own home. Ultimately its your ears that will be listening to it!

A

Anonymous

Don't do it! you love your NAD. Only joking, it's probably a bit better, but who knows. If you got one on line you could give it a quick audition if you use the right company. Speak to Ric at Musicraft, he's a really helpful guy and would be able to give you an informed opinion Incidentally, what speakers are you running with the NAD at the moment? I have been offered some Dynaudio 2/7's for a great price. Not that I am unhappy with the MS's.

Cypher said:
I have a nad c326 at the moment.

I'm very interested in the new Brio amp.........I think this will be an improvement over the nad ?

I'd like to maintain the warm sound of the nad though.

Any thoughts ?

Hi Cypher

I've not the Brio R with Dali speakers however as you're happy with with C326BEE and Dali combination then i think you'll be very pleased with the Brio R.

As good as the C326BEE is however the Brio R is easily improves on it in practically every area of performance. In short the Brio R's rich, solid, detailed, weighty, rhythmic, dynamic and powerful sound is a real joy to listen to :rockout: The Brio R also has excellent fit, finish and is built like a small tank. Have a look and listen to the Brio R and i think you'll also also be highly impressed. Btw, the Brio R also has a good phono stage.

The Brio R is a pocket rocket and imo is a bargain at £480 :grin:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
The only thing I'm worried about is that a lot of people here said the new Brio is more powerful than the Brio 3.

But I just read a test in a german magazine and the reviewer said you should use easy- to- drive speakers because otherwise

the Brio-R couldn't drive them properly.

Who to believe ? ;)

Dazmb

Aug 26, 2007
Visit site
The Germans! Always believe the Germans ;) Very efficient people you know, and totally incapable of telling something that is not factually correct or humorous/joking..... :D

So it must be true!

Cypher said:
The only thing I'm worried about is that a lot of people here said the new Brio is more powerful than the Brio 3.

But I just read a test in a german magazine and the reviewer said you should use easy- to- drive speakers because otherwise

the Brio-R couldn't drive them properly.

Who to believe ? ;)

Hi Cypher

Fwiw, i've used the Brio R with speakers such as Monitor Audio's Platinum Series and the Brio R has driven the Platinum speakers more easily then the already impressive Brio 3 :) Anyway as the sound from the Brio R is (amongst its other qualities) rich, dynamic, weighty and powerful it doesn't really need to be pushed to enjoy its performance :grin:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
The Rega Brio-R is still very interesting.........but I also love to audition the Creek Evolution 2 amp. I get the impression that the sound of these 2 amps are very similar.

The Evolution 2 has better looks though
smiley-smile.gif

Zax89swe

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
That rego amp is obvious a good sounding one :? Is its characteristic natural or warm, bright/harsh? Im seeking a new amp to my monitor audio bx2 for a sweeter sound and better sound compared to the harsh thing partnered with yamaha as-500.

matthewpiano

Zax89swe said:
That rego amp is obvious a good sounding one :? Is its characteristic natural or warm, bright/harsh? Im seeking a new amp to my monitor audio bx2 for a sweeter sound and better sound compared to the harsh thing partnered with yamaha as-500.

PM6003 is superb with the BX2. Much nicer sound than the A-S500 IMO.

Zax89swe

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah,, was waiting for the pm6004 release but i cant stand the wait so if rega is a good choice as well id go for it, my dad might buy a pm6004 later on.

Zax89swe

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Got one question,Im gonna gamble and buy Rega brio r with my monitor audio bx2 to start with, then later I would like to add a subwoofer like Earthquake Sound Sub-80 and connect speakers through the subs rca connectors, would that degrade soundquality? :?

Zax89swe said:
Got one question,Im gonna gamble and buy Rega brio r with my monitor audio bx2 to start with, then later I would like to add a subwoofer like Earthquake Sound Sub-80 and connect speakers through the subs rca connectors, would that degrade soundquality? :?

Don't gamble! Please listen to one first, alongside your existing amp, and make sure it has the sound you're looking for. I've seen this so many times on here where people have just 'taken the plunge' based on what certain retailers recommend and others. As I've always said - boring as it is - there are many other aspects you need to allow for: room acoustics, musical preferance and your own ear, to name but a few.

Hate to see grown men cry...
smiley-wink.gif

matthewpiano

Very good advice from PP there, especially as you already have an amp you aren't totally satisfied with. I'm sure the Brio-R is excellent (haven't heard it myself), but no amp will suit everyone and you would do well to have a listen first to make sure it addresses your issues with the Yamaha, whilst hopefully retaining or improving on the qualities you do like.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Zax89swe said:

I think if you really want to go the subwoofer route, you'd be better off going for an amplifier with pre-outs to connect directly to the sub/subs. This will preserve the quality of the main speakers.

Zax89swe

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
A listen would be great indeed but I dont have the opportunity, But I Will go for the amp and order it tomorrow and trust in,, my bx2 :pray: Guess the amplifier can handle more expensive and more bassy speakers for eventually future upgrade.

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I purchased the Rega Brio R and Audiolab 8200CD I already have Monitor Audio RX1s

Wired it all up, ran it in for a while and am delighted with results.
smile.png

Everything sounds just how I wanted, plenty of strong clear clean taut bass, treble just right not too bright and not dull either. Midrange detailed and clear. Lots of detail revealed that I had not heard before.

I must say for the size of the MA speakers they have a surprising bass response.

At 9 oclock on the volume control it is really loud so plenty of power available, if I turn it up above that it is deafening.

I had heard the Creek Evo 2 and found it similar, found it hard to decide but as the Rega is £ 200 cheaper no contest.

A

Anonymous

Will the Brio-R be an improvement over the Mira-3 in my system?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts