rega apollo cd player and brio amplifer - which speakers ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 188516
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 188516

hi all.

i'm thinking of purchasing the rega apollo cd player and the matching brio integrated amplifier but i am unsure as to which speakers to audition ?

what hifi seem to rate the bowers and wilkins 606, the kef q350 and the dynaudio emit m10's - all available at my local dealer and of a similar price.

i understand that the only way to decide and get an answer is via a home audition and listening myself but just looking for a heads up as regards to what to expect from the 3 different speaker brands when connected to the rega kit.

i only listen to electronic music and like a clear, focused, 3d sound with a smooth not harsh treble and a bass output that is more tuneful than earth shaking !

my room measures 20 foot by 20 foot and the speakers will be 8 foot apart and 1 foot away from a rear wall.

thanks

D

Deleted member 108165

No experience with Rega components so can't really comment. All I can say is try as many speakers as you can. Only your ears can tell you which one will be right for you.

Dom

My brother has the Emit M10's running off Cyrus gear, enthusiastic sound I tell you, and they can go loud without a hint of distortion. But the bass is strange. It can go low sure, just not too realistic. Maybe they need to be run in more? Less than two weeks old. Try em you might like them though.

The amplifier/speaker pairing is an important one. Have a look at Amphion (used in a number of European studios), which use a HF waveguide that reduces high frequency reflections from nearby walls and ceilings, which hell’s when seeking a smooth sound. Amphion are detailed, but not forward sounding, sounding pretty even across the frequency range.

gasolin

Brio or brio r ?

Brio R is surpose to be a little bright, the same with some of the new 600 and 700 B&W speakers

Zeos pantara say the Q350 has sharp highs

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK3uMJZ86Kk&t=

Dynadio Emit M10 is also a little bright and don't have to much bass playing normal pop,rock music, playing edm og just bass heavy music the are lot's of bass and despite being measured to have low sensitivity they can go loud

Emit M10 (mabye because of the bass 100hz and down, they can handle alot of power)
oWWpXrX.png

D

Deleted member 108165

Am I missing a poke-in-eye obvious solution? If the OP is looking at Rega Apollo and Brio then Rega speakers will match nicely. However good the OP's suggestions are, an all-one make should have great synergy.

Just a thought.
Only going by reviews but apparently the Rega speakers are pants when compared to others in the similar price bracket.

Only going by reviews but apparently the Rega speakers are pants when compared to others in the similar price bracket.

D.O.N.T. B.E. S.I.L.L.Y.

Don't go by reviews. I've heard Rega all-one system (my usual dealer deals with Rega, so he has a Rega set-up playing in the background a lot of the time).

I wouldn't choose Rega speakers in a mix 'n' match system. Granted, some one make systems don't always work the greatest but Rega does.

TheJoker

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
hi all.

i'm thinking of purchasing the rega apollo cd player and the matching brio integrated amplifier but i am unsure as to which speakers to audition ?

what hifi seem to rate the bowers and wilkins 606, the kef q350 and the dynaudio emit m10's - all available at my local dealer and of a similar price.

i understand that the only way to decide and get an answer is via a home audition and listening myself but just looking for a heads up as regards to what to expect from the 3 different speaker brands when connected to the rega kit.

i only listen to electronic music and like a clear, focused, 3d sound with a smooth not harsh treble and a bass output that is more tuneful than earth shaking !

my room measures 20 foot by 20 foot and the speakers will be 8 foot apart and 1 foot away from a rear wall.

thanks
When i had a rega apollo & BrioR i remember listening to many speakers, the Kef R100 was the best standmount i heard under £600 but that was some time ago, this was using Tellurium Q Black cable. I would love to recommend the LS50's but you would need to get a better amp to get the best from them.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I've only read from fellow users that rega brio has a thin sound, though it is supposed to be fast and melodic. So that would rule out any speaker with a tendency to sound bright.

I would personally add the Qacoustics concept 40 to your audition list, as they have a full warm sound like the B&W's and a very tuneful bass. Though I personally feel that in my room, they need 45 cms from the back wall to sound their best. It is the best balance between bass enforcement and cancellation of bass boom that I found in my room.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I've heard a few pairs of speakers on the end of Rega kit - namely my TT, and the Rega Elex-R I was thinking of buying before I got the Primare.

What I will say, is that having now owned a couple of pairs of KEF, I do not think they can be beaten pound for pound when new. BUT, I did find that the Q700 had a couple of issues with bass control - careful positioning, and mucking around with granite and spikes sorted it. As for the Q350, I would not know, but huge control over midrange and treble is built right in to that UniQ driver arrangement. The other factor here is that a 20x20 ft room is pretty large (certainly by British standards, and you may find that standmounts get lost?

Of course, as everyone else has said - there is really no alternative to having a good listen to lots of options....

D

Deleted member 188516

hello all and thanks for all the replies / advice given in this thread.
(and apologies for not replying sooner).

many of the suggestions above had not occurred to me such as the stand mount speakers that rega make them selves.

i have also noted the kef ls50 suggestion (love the all black version !) which i have seen as a package advertised with the brio amplifier but, as stated, these speakers may need a better amplifier hence a home demo is a must.

once again thanks for the advice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts