Refurbished ipad

erby

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
Has anyone bought a refurbished ipad from the official apple store?

Looking at the Ipad 4 retina display 32gb for £409.

Never had a tablet before, mainly going to browse the web and watch skygo so do I need the 32gb or will the 16gb be enough? I will put a few photos on it and maybe some films if thats possible.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Everything we have bought from Apple (including an iPad) has been refurbished, with full warrenty.

IME. It is indistinguishable from a new one, but at a good saving.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
erby said:
Thanks Cno :) will treat myself to one then.

Can you put films on it? And if so do they take up a lot of space?

Sorry, I'm "computer hopeless", so you need someone more technical.

The iPad belongs to Mrs. Cno, which she uses for emails, Facebook and the Rosemary Conley forum. I'm only allowed to use it under sufferance, and there is always a piper to pay!

You will soon run out of space, especially if you're planning to put movies in it. Also, don't forget to slash a few GB off the advertised memory, as iOS requires space as well. I struggle to put more than 5 or 6 movies on my 32GB iPad (as I have quite a bit of songs and other apps). I keep changing them, & keep only what I need to watch. Sync movies with iTunes.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I too have been thinking about getting a refurbished iPad.

The refurbishment is supposed to include a new battery, and a new case - that only leaves the screen or the electronics as the remaining possible reasons for return. If the screen was wonky, I suspect they would spot it during the refurbishment, and scrap the device. That only leaves the electronics as the risk to the buyer - electronics tend to follow the bathtub failure curve, ie they tend to fail either very quickly, or after many years. In between they are usually very reliable. I hope that apple remove all the returned ipads returned because of kaput electronics, so that should leave only the ipads containing working electronics.

I was thinking of using an ipad for multiple uses, including controlling my AV receiver, or streaming spotify to the receiver etc, and also using the ipad to read books and magazines when I commute to work during the winter (ie when it is too dark to read normal books by daylight).

However a colleague has said that he finds a Kindle much better for the eyes, when reading ebooks. That started me thinking about getting an Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9 inch instead. However I am struggling to find any references on the web, relating to people using it to control hifi, or stream music. So I may still get an ipad, but am tempted to get the kindle as well for the ebooks etc.

erby

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
Thanks big boss i will go for the 32gb then and do some swapping about.

Ex pat mike - yes i looked at the fire hd as well, to double as an ereader, but decided against it - sods law says the wife would want to play solitaire while i was reading. My wife has a normal kindle for books and its great. I borrowed my sisters for holiday and its so much easier to carry them about than 10-12 paperbacks - I will be getting one for my birthday :)

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
expat_mike said:
I too have been thinking about getting a refurbished iPad.

The refurbishment is supposed to include a new battery, and a new case - that only leaves the screen or the electronics as the remaining possible reasons for return. If the screen was wonky, I suspect they would spot it during the refurbishment, and scrap the device. That only leaves the electronics as the risk to the buyer - electronics tend to follow the bathtub failure curve, ie they tend to fail either very quickly, or after many years. In between they are usually very reliable. I hope that apple remove all the returned ipads returned because of kaput electronics, so that should leave only the ipads containing working electronics.

I was thinking of using an ipad for multiple uses, including controlling my AV receiver, or streaming spotify to the receiver etc, and also using the ipad to read books and magazines when I commute to work during the winter (ie when it is too dark to read normal books by daylight).

However a colleague has said that he finds a Kindle much better for the eyes, when reading ebooks. That started me thinking about getting an Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9 inch instead. However I am struggling to find any references on the web, relating to people using it to control hifi, or stream music. So I may still get an ipad, but am tempted to get the kindle as well for the ebooks etc.
Hi I would ask your colleague if he had the paper white version if so it's not the same type of screen as the fire. The fire has a similar screen as the iPad and the iPad would be just as good for reading if not better. The paper white version is far better for reading only.( that's all you can do on it)

Paul.

I would use software like hand break to reduce your file sizes down to something more sensible. I have a first gen 32GB iPad, and keep it loaded up with video for work trips. I currently have four films, a whole season of Next Gen and half a season of Big Bang on it. I apreciate your retina display will be a bit more discerning with bitrates than mine, but you can have a satisfying viewing experience with much more choice if you compress the video.

Your best bet is when you rip your disks, you output one copy in highest quality for TV playback, and one in lower quality for mobile devices.

A 1080p movie downloaded from iTunes is around 4.5gb. I would aim to cut that in half (at least) for viewing from lap distances on a Tab.

erby

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Paul, looks like you know your way around the ipad.

I might have a few more questions for you when I get mine....

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Hello Boggit,

I checked with my colleague, and he was referring to the original kindle screen, not the fire HD.

His suggestion is for me to get an ipad for the AV, plus a secondhand kindle for the ebooks.

Almost got the wallet out.
smiley-smile.gif

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
...Apple... refurbished, with full warrenty.

IME. It is indistinguishable from a new ... but at a good saving.

+1

And because my MBP's delivery was delayed by 24 hours, I received a "gesture of good will", which was a £45 refund, in cash, mind, not Apple Store or iTunes vouchers :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts