Reducing volume between cd player and amp in set-up

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I've had a Cambridge Audio set-up for a couple of months now (640A Amp and 640C CD player), and is generally sounding fantastic.

However, one thing that sometimes bugs me is the volume level the CD player gives out as compared to the other inputs going into the hifi (from tv and computer) - it's quite a bit louder, and you have to constantly have to adjust the volume up and down as you switch between them.

I was wondering if there was any way of adjusting the volume between the cd player and the amp - any type of phono cable that includes a volume control perhaps? (like the ones you often find on 3.5mm jack earphones). Or any other methods?

Thanks for any advice.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="mattmorton"]Google Rothwell attenuators[/quote]

Ditto the above. Fitted them on my Cambridge gear and they have made a huge difference. Normal listening levels for the CDP, the dial is up around 12 o'clock mark now. Makes the amp work a bit adrive the speakers with a bit more umph.

A

Anonymous

That sounds perfect! Thanks for the recommendation, was never aware of those, and they sound just the job. According to their website:

"Here's the solution to a problem from which far too many audiophiles suffer - too much gain in the system. The symptoms are easy enough to spot - the volume is plenty loud enough with the volume control set to the 9 o'clock position, too loud with the volume control at 10 o'clock, and fine control at low levels is impossible"

Thats basically my problem, so will be definitely be getting some Rothwell attenuators.

A

Anonymous

I bought some attenuators on Ebay that work great and are cheaper than the Rothwells.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Eddy Current"]I bought some attenuators on Ebay that work great and are cheaper than the Rothwells.

[/quote]

Goldenjacks? These come in a couple of options for how much attenuation you require.

A

Anonymous

Had a look at the Goldenjacks website, but they weren't much cheaper than the Rothwells (£25 compared to £40). The Rothwells look really good audiophile quality, and don't want to lose any sound quality in what is quite an expensive set-up, so I think I'll go for those.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts