Red light of death...

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
on Yamaha WXC-50.

Hi all.

I purchased the Yamaha in the first week of Septemeber 2016 sadly as the title indicates the unit refuses to power up now. Having looked up this fault in the user manual it suggests it's a serious failing and the unit will not power up as a safety measure. Repair is the stated remedy.

This unit has not been in my possession for 6 months and in terms of having its innards repaired I'm not at all happy with this. I spoke to Peter Tyson customer service and said my confidence was gone regarding the product and rather than repair or refund I was happy to accept a form of credit note as I intend to purchase an Oppo HA-1 in a few weeks. Just heard back from customer service stating that repair is all they will consider due to time owned.

Having looked online I'm a little confused re what my options are, according to 'Which' if my reading of this is correct, I'm at least entitled to a repair, replacement or refund... am I wrong in this, have I misinterpreted this information. Who has the final say in which of these options will be offered, the consumer or retailer?

I've stated to Peter Tyson that I am not happy with the repair option. This is all that's currently being offered. Obviously I need to do a little research over the weekend but wondered if anyone knew off the top of their head, do I have to accept the offer of repair as the only solution under the Consumer rights Act 2016?

If anyone is able to offer any constructive pointers or advice it will be greatly apprecaited. Thanks.

davidf said:
Where's BigBoss... :)

He about somewhere.... :)

However I would imagine, if it's still under warranty, the time owned is irrelevant and a replacement should be made available always assuming the product is still being made.

The OP could try approaching Citizens Advice and there's always slagging them off on Facebook... :)

insider9

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for store credit. At the end of the day you're prepared to spend more money and Peter Tyson should be happy that you do. They can repair the unit and sell it themselves as refurbished. It's inconvenient enough that you're without a streamer for the time being.

I'd suggest to make your point of wanting to stay their customer. Don't take no for an answer. Might have to speak to a few people before you reach someone that is allowed to make the decision. If they treat you right I'm sure you will come back over and over.

Is this a common issue with WXC-50?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Here are your rights explained by Derbyshire County Council! Good old Derbyshire County Council.

https://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/images/ca63_tcm44-238483.pdf

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your Yamaha let's hope mine doesn't pack up

i would of thought you could get a refund as it's only 6 months old and if you say brought it from richer sounds they would of offered you your money back as an option so I would of thought the same for peter Tyson unless you brought the Yamaha online and there is some small print saying you can't i do that I do not know . But your differently got rights .

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:

i would of thought you could get a refund as it's only 6 months old and if you say brought it from richer sounds they would of offered you your money back as an option so I would of thought the same for peter Tyson unless you brought the Yamaha online and there is some small print saying you can't i do that I do not know . But your differently got rights .

I think it comes down to what constitutes a "reasonable time" between purchase and refund request. In the case of material goods I would say that 6 months is beyond "reasonable". I think a repair (or replacement at the retailer's discretion) is the OP's right in this instance.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

I think it comes down to what constitutes a "reasonable time" between purchase and refund request. In the case of material goods I would say that 6 months is beyond "reasonable". I think a repair (or replacement at the retailer's discretion) is the OP's right in this instance.
I would be gutted after 6 months of use I have to be honest You can not blame the op for wanting his money back and feel peter Tyson should at least say send it back and we will give a credit note for the full amount .

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Gazzip said:
You get what you pay for. I would be grateful for the repair if I were you.
It's not a 59p loaf of bread with a few mouldy slices in the middle. OP has the right to expect it to work irrespective of price paid, surely. He doesn't have to be "grateful'' that they're willing to repair, it's his consumer rights. Or is £300 throwaway money to you? If so feel free to throw some my way.

OP: I would suggest you speak to Citizens Advice. In fact I would have suggested you go there initially instead of raising it on a forum where you've also chosen to 'name and shame' the retailer, who may feel they now have a right to respond / defend, and off we go again with another of those tit for tat customer vs retailer threads.

insider9

Gazzip said:
Here are your rights explained by Derbyshire County Council! Good old Derbyshire County Council.

Thanks Gazzip. I take it you don't agree with my suggestion?

Perhaps, I should've mentioned that it isn't what regulations state but to my mind common sense and good business practice. I understand OP would be happy with store credit as he's looking to buy Oppo. Peter Tyson has an opportunity to turn dissatisfaction into delight while making a sale and likely a larger profit. I'd call this a win-win and excellent customer service. Of course, this will require OP to call and explain how beneficial to all this would be :)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Gazzip said:

Thanks Gazzip. I take it you don't agree with my suggestion?

Perhaps, I should've mentioned that it isn't what regulations state but to my mind common sense and good business practice. I understand OP would be happy with store credit as he's looking to buy Oppo. Peter Tyson has an opportunity to turn dissatisfaction into delight while making a sale and likely a larger profit. I'd call this a win-win and excellent customer service. Of course, this will require OP to call and explain how beneficial to all this would be :)

+1

jjbomber

luckylion100 said:
on Yamaha WXC-50.

I purchased the Yamaha in the first week of Septemeber 2016 sadly as the title indicates the unit refuses to power up now. Having looked up this fault in the user manual it suggests it's a serious failing and the unit will not power up as a safety measure. Repair is the stated remedy.

Sounds like a power supply failure, which normally means a new unit anyway. It won't be worth repairing. If you know someone who can check this, then that is the first thing to do. If that is the case, you can make a Section 75 claim on the credit card firm. They will refund the value of the unit as a second hand, 6 month old product. Expect around 75% of the cost.

If you prefer, it will have to go back to Peter Tyson whether it is for repair, renewal or refund. It may not be repairable, in which case it is under warranty. Until we know what is wrong, it is impossible to say. A blown fuse will be replaced will be replaced. A failed power supply will mean a replacement or credit note.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
jjbomber said:
luckylion100 said:
on Yamaha WXC-50.

Sounds like a power supply failure, which normally means a new unit anyway. It won't be worth repairing. If you know someone who can check this, then that is the first thing to do. If that is the case, you can make a Section 75 claim on the credit card firm. They will refund the value of the unit as a second hand, 6 month old product. Expect around 75% of the cost.

If you prefer, it will have to go back to Peter Tyson whether it is for repair, renewal or refund. It may not be repairable, in which case it is under warranty. Until we know what is wrong, it is impossible to say. A blown fuse will be replaced will be replaced. A failed power supply will mean a replacement or credit note.

They have offered a repair so a Section 75 claim won't get the OP anywhere. S75 makes the lender and vendor jointly and severally liable, it doesn't do anything more than that.

luckylion100 said:
on Yamaha WXC-50.

Hi all.

This unit has not been in my possession for 6 months and in terms of having its innards repaired I'm not at all happy with this. I spoke to Peter Tyson customer service and said my confidence was gone regarding the product and rather than repair or refund I was happy to accept a form of credit note as I intend to purchase an Oppo HA-1 in a few weeks. Just heard back from customer service stating that repair is all they will consider due to time owned.

Having looked online I'm a little confused re what my options are, according to 'Which' if my reading of this is correct, I'm at least entitled to a repair, replacement or refund... am I wrong in this, have I misinterpreted this information. Who has the final say in which of these options will be offered, the consumer or retailer?

I've stated to Peter Tyson that I am not happy with the repair option. This is all that's currently being offered. Obviously I need to do a little research over the weekend but wondered if anyone knew off the top of their head, do I have to accept the offer of repair as the only solution under the Consumer rights Act 2016?

If anyone is able to offer any constructive pointers or advice it will be greatly apprecaited. Thanks.
This isn't what you wanted to read, but here goes anyway:-

Your reading of Which? is correct. You are not entitled to a refund, only a repair. The out of date Derbyshire info isn't relevant as it predates the current legislation.

The relevant extract is here, and quoted below:-

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-faulty-product

"Under the Consumer Rights Act you have an early right to reject goods that are unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described and get a full refund.

But this right is limited to 30 days from the date of purchase of your product. And this right doesn’t apply to faulty digital content.

After the initial 30 days, you can't demand a full refund in the first instance but you still have the right to a repair or replacement."

I conclude that Peter Tyson is being completely reasonable, and you should accept a repair. As said above, that might result in a replacement but it might be something straightforward - and that shouldn't make you lose faith in the product.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
nopiano said:
luckylion100 said:
on Yamaha WXC-50.

Hi all.

Your reading of Which? is correct. You are not entitled to a refund, only a repair. The out of date Derbyshire info isn't relevant as it predates the current legislation.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-f...

"Under the Consumer Rights Act you have an early right to reject goods that are unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described and get a full refund.

But this right is limited to 30 days from the date of purchase of your product. And this right doesn’t apply to faulty digital content.

After the initial 30 days, you can't demand a full refund in the first instance but you still have the right to a repair or replacement."

I conclude that Peter Tyson is being completely reasonable, and you should accept a repair. As said above, that might result in a replacement but it might be something straightforward - and that shouldn't make you lose faith in the product.

Of course you are right. My bad for not checking the referenced docs... However the Consumer Rights Act 2015 is simply a rewriting of the pre-existing Consumer Protection Legislation. Just semantics to shaft the consumer and vendor in exactly the same way. Albeit that there are now alternatives for adjudication now it would appear...

Gazzip said:
nopiano said:
luckylion100 said:
on Yamaha WXC-50.

Hi all.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-f...

Of course you are right. My bad for not checking the referenced docs... However the Consumer Rights Act 2015 is simply a rewriting of the pre-existing Consumer Protection Legislation. Just semantics to shaft the consumer and vendor in exactly the same way. Albeit that there are now alternatives for adjudication now it would appear...
True that the substance isn't much difference!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts