Recording quality, repeats and Eurosport HD

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Ive noticed my Humax pvr player is far superior to my Sky HD box for recording SD.

I only use my Skybox for recording HD content except if im recording motorcycle racing on Eurosport.

One of the deciding factors on my decision to go Sky HD was the Eurosport HD and my chance to see motorcycle racing in all its HD glory......ah was i a fool, Sky dont show motorcycle racing on the Eurosport HD channel.

Ive only had Sky a month and already im sick to death of the endless repeats, when i flick through the TV & Satellite week mag to decide what im recording and viewing 85% of the shown progs are repeats.

Being a new HD customer i have to take out the HD channels and at least 1 other selection and that costs me £27+ a month as i take out 2 packs.

Had i have known of the endless repeats and endless advertising i wouldent have bothered taking out sky at that price as i dont feel im getting value for money.

The £9.75 for the HD channels would have been fine but to be forced to pay and extra £16.50 a month for 90% of stuff ill never watch and in a poor SD quality is really not on and i like many others feel cheated.

I have to admire Sky's £49 HD advertising and i was lured hook line and sinker but after you see what you get for your monthly subscriptions you do have to sort out the wheat from the chaff and boy is there lots of chaff.

After a year of subscription can you just take out the HD channels and cancel the rest?

A

Anonymous

You can only get the Sky HD channels that apply to your subcription package. Eg if you cancel movies you lose movies HD even if you continue with the £9.75 for HD.

I have BT Vision (non HD) which isnt a patch on Sky but I refuse to pay Sky's high prices. But I do get a free PVR which is what I wanted.

HD doesn't improve the quality of the program content - which is what matters - it just looks better - so why pay such a high price.

It will eventually be free. I'll wait until then.

A

Anonymous

Just my two pennies worth, but I find SkyHD to be pretty good (although, yes it is expensive). Sky movies in HD are excellent (and the cost is reasonable compared to what you are paying for Blu Ray disks) and as I watch a lot of sport (football, rugby union) so enjoy this in Hi-Definition. The family also enjoys Sky Movies Family as well as Disney Cinemagic in high def (although its probably me rather than the kids who notice the difference in the picture and sound quality). Plus the National Geo and Discovery Channels look fantastic in Hi Def. Putting Sky through an audio set up to get 5.1 surround also adds a lot of presence to the movies. It depends what you like but as I have varied tastes I often find something to watch (forgot to mention 24, Lost, Prison Break too), especially with the ability to record during the week. I can't really see any point getting a high end TV and audio set up and not going for Sky HD (or Virgin HD) service. I would say that their customer service could be a lot better though if a query needs to be resolved.

A

Anonymous

Tangerine Dream,

FYI motorcycle racing IS shown on Eurosport HD, though not always live. WSB was on last weekend with both races shown on Eurosport HD, though a little while after being shown on Eurosport 1 ( or "2" can't remember which) . MotoGP is going to be on BBC ( though no idea whether in HD or not). Eurosport has just been given the right to screen MotoGP, but it will not be live. However, I bet they show it on Eurosport HD
emotion-1.gif
Not sure about BSB but no reason to suppose it will be any different to WSB.

As for the picture quality, all I can say is, it's fantastic, MUCH better than SD!

Hope this cheers you up
emotion-21.gif

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
It's not quite correct to say that your HD channels depend on your SD mixes. ÿThe HD channels are a separate entity (you get Sky Arts HD whatever, for example), EXCEPT in the case of sport or movies. ÿIt seems to be very common for sports and/or movie fans to love Sky HD while everyone else complains about poor value, repeats etc etc !ÿ

A

Anonymous

mark 1:
Tangerine Dream,

FYI motorcycle racing IS shown on Eurosport HD, though not always live. WSB was on last weekend with both races shown on Eurosport HD, though a little while after being shown on Eurosport 1 ( or "2" can't remember which) . MotoGP is going to be on BBC ( though no idea whether in HD or not). Eurosport has just been given the right to screen MotoGP, but it will not be live. However, I bet they show it on Eurosport HD
emotion-1.gif
Not sure about BSB but no reason to suppose it will be any different to WSB.

As for the picture quality, all I can say is, it's fantastic, MUCH better than SD!

Hope this cheers you up
emotion-21.gif

I keep looking at the Eurosport HD EPG and ive never seen any motorcycle racing on it yet!

I guess i dident look hard inough ,
emotion-42.gif
i think i would rather wait for a repeat on HD than see it live in Sky's poor quality SD.

Ill keep a keen lookout in future.

A

Anonymous

Just because a programme is on eurosport hd does not always mean it is in hd, same applies to sky sports hd, Eurosport hd is eurosport international and sometimes the programmes are different to british eurosport.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
mrcarbon:
Just because a programme is on eurosport hd does not always mean it is in hd, same applies to sky sports hd,

True enough, though an option on the new Sky+ HD EPG (being rolled out as we speak) allows you to instantly highlight native-HD shows on the Sky planner. That'll get switched on pronto as soon as I get my upgrade...

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
I think mrcarbon is right. ÿEurosport will be showing World Superbikes from April and my recollection from last season is that it's also shown on the HD channel. ÿUnfortunately, like a great deal of international sport on Sky, it will just be upscaled as the original coverage is only in SD. The aspect ratio may even be wrong if the original is shot in 4:3!

A

Anonymous

Oh dear it gets worse, so even if Sky show the motorcycling on the HD channel it might not be in HD but just upscaled!

Scammed by Sky!
emotion-12.gif

A

Anonymous

Found this, may come in handy.
http://yahoo.eurosport.co.uk/tvschedule_clng2_day0.shtml

Andy TW

Jul 13, 2007
Visit site
Tangerine dream:
Oh dear it gets worse, so even if Sky show the motorcycling on the HD channel it might not be in HD but just upscaled!

Scammed by Sky!
emotion-12.gif

I suspect it's more scammed by Eurosport as I doubt that Sky has much say over what they transmit on their HD channels.
Of course if it's being shown on Sky's own HD sport channels then it's definitely Sky's fault if it's not HD.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Andy TW:Tangerine dream:

Scammed by Sky!
emotion-12.gif

I suspect it's more scammed by Eurosport as I doubt that Sky has much say over what they transmit on their HD channels.

Make that ANY say over what Eurosport transmit. Sky just take the money and give Eurosport the channel space, what Eurosport then transmit on those channels is entirely up to them, not Sky (3-cushion Billiards, LIVE, with Clive Everton commentating, COME ON!!!).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts