Record Store Day 21/04/2012

gbhsi1

New member
Mar 5, 2008
237
0
0
Visit site
I'm looking forward to this event and have a short shopping list! I hope they have what I want...santigold being one of them :)
 

Charlie Jefferson

Well-known member
Sep 2, 2007
229
0
18,790
Visit site
I've really enjoyed RSD for the last three years, and even dragged myself out of bed ridiculously early (4am last year), to get a good place in the queue for Jumbo in Leeds. I really wanted to get certain items and not have to pay eBay rates.

That said, I'm giving it a miss this year. There's not much, if anything, I really, really want.

Enjoy it - all who sail in her!!!

Looking forward to hearing stories from the front line when it's all over.
 

gbhsi1

New member
Mar 5, 2008
237
0
0
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
I've really enjoyed RSD for the last three years, and even dragged myself out of bed ridiculously early (4am last year), to get a good place in the queue for Jumbo in Leeds. I really wanted to get certain items and not have to pay eBay rates.

That said, I'm giving it a miss this year. There's not much, if anything, I really, really want.

Enjoy it - all who sail in her!!!

Looking forward to hearing stories from the front line when it's all over.
wait a second! are you saying I have to que at 4am to possibly get any records I want? I'm setting off at 9am and probably get there at 9:30am :-(
 

Charlie Jefferson

Well-known member
Sep 2, 2007
229
0
18,790
Visit site
gbhsi1 said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
I've really enjoyed RSD for the last three years, and even dragged myself out of bed ridiculously early (4am last year), to get a good place in the queue for Jumbo in Leeds. I really wanted to get certain items and not have to pay eBay rates.

That said, I'm giving it a miss this year. There's not much, if anything, I really, really want.

Enjoy it - all who sail in her!!!

Looking forward to hearing stories from the front line when it's all over.
wait a second! are you saying I have to que at 4am to possibly get any records I want? I'm setting off at 9am and probably get there at 9:30am :-(

Possibly yes!

Three years ago I was second in the queue at 8.30, two years ago I was 28th at 7.30 and last year I got there around 5am and was 15th in line.

Whereabouts do you live?
 

airliebird

New member
Aug 19, 2008
17
0
0
Visit site
There are currently at 11 o'clock 396 items from Record Store Day 2012 for sale on e bay and counting. If you didnt manage to get something you want, rest assured there is someone who has no interest in vinyl out there that is prepared to make a profit out of you.
 

mitch65

Well-known member
Dec 16, 2003
52
0
18,540
Visit site
airliebird said:
There are currently at 11 o'clock 396 items from Record Store Day 2012 for sale on e bay and counting. If you didnt manage to get something you want, rest assured there is someone who has no interest in vinyl out there that is prepared to make a profit out of you.

What's even more annoying is that my local record store told me that ebay were banning RSD sales for 2 weeks - yeah! like that was going to happen!

Got one out of three of my choices so not toooooo bad :)
 

The_Lhc

Well-known member
Oct 16, 2008
1,176
1
19,195
Visit site
Turned up at the nearest listed shop to where we're staying to find the owner had gone on holiday a week ago and had forgotten to order anything for RSD. Not particularly amused... Next nearest shop is 30 miles away, oh well, next year then...
 

gbhsi1

New member
Mar 5, 2008
237
0
0
Visit site
turned up at Piccadilly records in Manchester about 10am, que was horrendous and waited 4hrs, by the time I got close to the door there was another big que all the way to the till - had to go as was late for work! empty handed!! should have come earlier. don't know why it took so long for people to go in and out the store!!!
 

Charlie Jefferson

Well-known member
Sep 2, 2007
229
0
18,790
Visit site
gbhsi1 said:
turned up at Piccadilly records in Manchester about 10am, que was horrendous and waited 4hrs, by the time I got close to the door there was another big que all the way to the till - had to go as was late for work! empty handed!! should have come earlier. don't know why it took so long for people to go in and out the store!!!

You sound like you were at least six hours too late.
 

gbhsi1

New member
Mar 5, 2008
237
0
0
Visit site
airliebird said:
There are currently at 11 o'clock 396 items from Record Store Day 2012 for sale on e bay and counting. If you didnt manage to get something you want, rest assured there is someone who has no interest in vinyl out there that is prepared to make a profit out of you.
that's just not right, how ridiculous as most are charging double than the normal price!
 

gbhsi1

New member
Mar 5, 2008
237
0
0
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
gbhsi1 said:
turned up at Piccadilly records in Manchester about 10am, que was horrendous and waited 4hrs, by the time I got close to the door there was another big que all the way to the till - had to go as was late for work! empty handed!! should have come earlier. don't know why it took so long for people to go in and out the store!!!

You sound like you were at least six hours too late.
ha ha! you are right Charlie. I will know for next time. I have learnt a lesson as it was my first time so did not know what to expect :)
 

Charlie Jefferson

Well-known member
Sep 2, 2007
229
0
18,790
Visit site
gbhsi1 said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
gbhsi1 said:
turned up at Piccadilly records in Manchester about 10am, que was horrendous and waited 4hrs, by the time I got close to the door there was another big que all the way to the till - had to go as was late for work! empty handed!! should have come earlier. don't know why it took so long for people to go in and out the store!!!

You sound like you were at least six hours too late.
ha ha! you are right Charlie. I will know for next time. I have learnt a lesson as it was my first time so did not know what to expect :)

For what it's worth, I'm wishing I'd made the effort as in previous years, as I now really want the Pete Townshend and Bob Dylan items. I'm certainly not prepared to pay eBay prices. Honestly!!
 

Lost Angeles

Well-known member
Apr 24, 2008
130
0
18,590
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
I've really enjoyed RSD for the last three years, and even dragged myself out of bed ridiculously early (4am last year), to get a good place in the queue for Jumbo in Leeds.

I’ve been on the gate at Silverstone on Grand Prix day a few times and I’ve got up at silly o’clock plenty of times to go on holiday but to be queuing outside a record shop at 4.00am takes some dedication. Something I wouldn’t be prepared to do.

I presume you had Cat Stevens Morning Has Broken on a continuous loop on the iPod :rockout: :doh:
 

Charlie Jefferson

Well-known member
Sep 2, 2007
229
0
18,790
Visit site
Well, I said I wouldn't do it this year and didn't but had vinyl withdrawal pangs later in the day.

Paid a visit this morning, a whole 24 hours on from the big queues and bagged a load of things on my extended list. Three double Kinks LPs, the Czars album, Larry Corryell, Rory Gallagher, Mississippi John Hurt, Richard Hawley and a couple of 7inch singles (Belle & Sebastian and Thea Gilmore /Sandy Denny).

So scratch what I said somewhere earlier in this thread about not really, really wanting much. Didn't get hold of the Pete Townshend EP (no surprise there I suppose), but have managed to "order" a copy of The Bealtes 4x7inch box set.

All at 11am too, what a vinyl weekend.
 

The_Lhc

Well-known member
Oct 16, 2008
1,176
1
19,195
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
So scratch what I said somewhere earlier in this thread about not really, really wanting much. Didn't get hold of the Pete Townshend EP (no surprise there I suppose), but have managed to "order" a copy of The Bealtes 4x7inch box set.

Funny how these things turn out, just on the off-chance I wandered down to the DVD rental shop in Ilfracombe that always gets stuff in for RSD on Saturday. A week after the event I wasn't expecting much. He had TONS of stuff left, including and I couldn't believe it, the The Beatles 7" box set, which was in the window and still hadn't sold! So I bagged that, the Future Sound of London 10" and the 12" from the two blokes off De La Soul's new project (can't remember what it's called).

No luck with the Dracula 7", neither of the shops in my area deal with the distributor that put that out, so I'll have try my luck online. Still, given the disappointment of the previous weekend I was quite happy!
 

DandyCobalt

New member
Oct 8, 2010
203
0
0
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
DandyCobalt said:
For anyone that bought anything, don't forget to post what they actually sound like here...

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/turntables-and-lps/praise-shame-rate-your-new-vinyl-here

Eh? You mean take the shrink-wrap off? Are you insane?

Sorry...forgot why we buy them
smiley-smile.gif


At least give it a shake and see if they've been generous enough to provide an mp3 download voucher, and let the rest of us know.
 

The_Lhc

Well-known member
Oct 16, 2008
1,176
1
19,195
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
The_Lhc said:
DandyCobalt said:
For anyone that bought anything, don't forget to post what they actually sound like here...

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/turntables-and-lps/praise-shame-rate-your-new-vinyl-here

Eh? You mean take the shrink-wrap off? Are you insane?

Sorry...forgot why we buy them
smiley-smile.gif


At least give it a shake and see if they've been generous enough to provide an mp3 download voucher, and let the rest of us know.

Difficult to tell, there's a poster in there as well.

In all fairness I bought the Beatles box for the missus, she's the Fab Four Fan, so what she does with it is up to her, the other two I haven't had time or space to listen to yet, it's tricky with two toddlers in the house but apparently they're moving out over Jubilee weekend so hopefully we'll get more listening time from June onwards.

Be nice to be able to sit down in peace and quiet with the other half and spend some proper time giving the TT a spin, nice mug of horlicks on the si.... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!1!!! :help:
 

shropshire lad

New member
Feb 18, 2010
0
1
0
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
DandyCobalt said:
The_Lhc said:
DandyCobalt said:
For anyone that bought anything, don't forget to post what they actually sound like here...

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/turntables-and-lps/praise-shame-rate-your-new-vinyl-here

Eh? You mean take the shrink-wrap off? Are you insane?

Sorry...forgot why we buy them
smiley-smile.gif


At least give it a shake and see if they've been generous enough to provide an mp3 download voucher, and let the rest of us know.

Difficult to tell, there's a poster in there as well.

In all fairness I bought the Beatles box for the missus, she's the Fab Four Fan, so what she does with it is up to her, the other two I haven't had time or space to listen to yet, it's tricky with two toddlers in the house but apparently they're moving out over Jubilee weekend so hopefully we'll get more listening time from June onwards.

Be nice to be able to sit down in peace and quiet with the other half and spend some proper time giving the TT a spin, nice mug of horlicks on the si.... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!1!!! :help:

I am really impressed to read that you have managed to persuade "your two toddlers" to move out at such a young age . My two "toddlers" , aged 17 and 21 show no inclination of moving out any time soon !
 

The_Lhc

Well-known member
Oct 16, 2008
1,176
1
19,195
Visit site
shropshire lad said:
The_Lhc said:
DandyCobalt said:
The_Lhc said:
DandyCobalt said:
For anyone that bought anything, don't forget to post what they actually sound like here...

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/turntables-and-lps/praise-shame-rate-your-new-vinyl-here

Eh? You mean take the shrink-wrap off? Are you insane?

Sorry...forgot why we buy them
smiley-smile.gif


At least give it a shake and see if they've been generous enough to provide an mp3 download voucher, and let the rest of us know.

Difficult to tell, there's a poster in there as well.

In all fairness I bought the Beatles box for the missus, she's the Fab Four Fan, so what she does with it is up to her, the other two I haven't had time or space to listen to yet, it's tricky with two toddlers in the house but apparently they're moving out over Jubilee weekend so hopefully we'll get more listening time from June onwards.

Be nice to be able to sit down in peace and quiet with the other half and spend some proper time giving the TT a spin, nice mug of horlicks on the si.... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!1!!! :help:

I am really impressed to read that you have managed to persuade "your two toddlers" to move out at such a young age . My two "toddlers" , aged 17 and 21 show no inclination of moving out any time soon !

They're not mine and their parents aren't giving them much choice in the matter.
 

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts