record player help

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
tifosi20002008 said:
Hi all. I've come into possession of a Bang & Olfsen beogram 5005. It's in pristine order does anyone know what phono amp I need?

mm or mc

cheers

I'll guess this has a B&O MMC4 cartridge fitted or another MMC. I'm not sure whether this is MM or MC.
Several phono amps do MM & MC. Cambridge Azur 640p and Trichord Dino to name two so depending on budget look at these or similar.
You can try either option then. My guess would be it's MM but I wouldn't bet much money on it.

AFAIK B&O never made a moving-coil, and even if they did it wasn't fitted to this delightfully-designed parallel-tracking TT.

A MM stage/pre=amp will do the trick therefore. NAD, Cambridge Audio, Pro Ject and Rega all make models under £100 which will be more than good enough. None of these is currently listed in WHF magazine, a few having been, er, tidied up a couple of months ago. The Cambridge is still on the website here: http://www.whathifi.com/review/cambridge-audio-azur-640p

but I think it has been £99 for a while now. All of these have been discussed on the forum, so may repay a few searches.

I would just caution that you check it is working OK and has an intact stylus before proceeding. There is an interesting website with all things B&O called beocentral.com which does the products justice and seems to be the work of enthusiasts.

scam00

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I dont know how to start my own thread. I just got an old record player (70s maybe). It's an Electrohome. When I start the player it will drop the record and spin but the arm will lift and move maybe 1cm and then set back down and the player stops. I have the setting correct (12" 33rpm) and the lowering lever all the way down. I've messed with some screws under the tone arm and still nothing. If I start the record on manual with the stylus on the record and turn it on the arm lifts up and goes to its original position. Can anyone help?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts