Record lovers rejoice as vinyl beats CD sales for the first time since 1987

Once thought of as an endangered species, vinyl records are easily outselling the threatened CD format by a considerable margin.

Record lovers rejoice as vinyl beats CD sales for the first time since 1987 : Read more
I think this would be more informative if it told us about quantities sold, rather than just revenues. Vinyl is more expensive, so turnover per unit will be higher. Unit sales would tell us more about the balance between vinyl and CD, even though I suspect no-one doubts vinyl is on the up and CD on the down.

Reactions: WayneKerr

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I think this would be more informative if it told us about quantities sold, rather than just revenues. Vinyl is more expensive, so turnover per unit will be higher. Unit sales would tell us more about the balance between vinyl and CD, even though I suspect no-one doubts vinyl is on the up and CD on the down.
It is in the first paragraph:
The RIAA's year-end summary reflects this astonishing comeback, with vinyl albums selling 41 million units in comparison to just 33 million CDs.

manicm

Nope, streaming is profiteering: 10 times the revenue of Vinyl, 27(!) times the revenue of "digital permanent downloads" for 2022.

Streaming is not profiteering from the point of view of the consumer. Vinyl from the point of view of consumer is profiteering, and often the master details are unknown. When CDs arrived they were priced at double of vinyl and similar profiteering occurred.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts