Record clamps that actually clamp instead of just being weights?

ZaxZaxx

Mar 30, 2024
Visit site
Apart from the Michell clamp, the Clearaudio Clever Clamp and the Analogis, does anyone know of any other record clamps that actually have some sort of clamping action rather than just being weights?

ZaxZaxx

Mar 30, 2024
Visit site
Project Clamp It, Tonar Record Clamp Misty....
Loads out there if you look.
Loads? Thanks, but that's just two, one of which is already mentioned above. I've actually looked thoroughly and haven't found 'loads', which is why I'm asking here. Can you in fact name any more of the 'loads' that you refer to? I'd find it very helpful. There are many that look like clamps and are sold as such, but which are in fact weights. These include one that's sold under various brand names including Vinyltonic that looks like a Michell clone right down to the knurled knob, but the knob's just a handle - it's just a weight.

Loads? Thanks, but that's just two, one of which is already mentioned above. I've actually looked thoroughly and haven't found 'loads', which is why I'm asking here. Can you in fact name any more of the 'loads' that you refer to? I'd find it very helpful. There are many that look like clamps and are sold as such, but which are in fact weights. These include one that's sold under various brand names including Vinyltonic that looks like a Michell clone right down to the knurled knob, but the knob's just a handle - it's just a weight.
Suggest a simple Google search?
If you cannot find them what makes you think anyone on this forum can?
Add Clearaudio Clever clamp
You only need to buy one as they all do the same thing.
Most will be Michell clones as there aren't a lot of other ways to design one.
Buy a Michell clamp and get on with listening.....

Last edited:

ZaxZaxx

Mar 30, 2024
Visit site
Suggest a simple Google search?
If you cannot find them what makes you think anyone on this forum can?
Add Clearaudio Clever clamp
You only need to buy one as they all do the same thing.
Most will be Michell clones as there aren't a lot of other ways to design one.
Buy a Michell clamp and get on with listening.....
1. Yes, I have searched repeatedly, using several engines. Google isn't infallible.
2. Because I never assume there's no-one out there who knows more than I do. And you yourself said that there were 'loads' out there, so that knowledge can be shared, can it not?
3. I mention the Clever Clamp in my original post, oddly enough. As it happens, it isn't very good, as it wears loose very quickly and its actual clamping action is minimal as the entire force has to be directed through a single thin raised flange on the base.
4. I partly work in product design. I'm working on what I hope will be a better version, so I need to research and acquire as many existing models as possible. Even the Michell has shortcomings, not least of which is that they have to make it in two variants to accommodate different spindle designs.
5. See 4.
6. I bought one when they first came out. I'm never happier than when I'm listening to or playing music, but that's irrelevant here, isn't it?

1. Yes, I have searched repeatedly, using several engines. Google isn't infallible.
2. Because I never assume there's no-one out there who knows more than I do. And you yourself said that there were 'loads' out there, so that knowledge can be shared, can it not?
3. I mention the Clever Clamp in my original post, oddly enough. As it happens, it isn't very good, as it wears loose very quickly and its actual clamping action is minimal as the entire force has to be directed through a single thin raised flange on the base.
4. I partly work in product design. I'm working on what I hope will be a better version, so I need to research and acquire as many existing models as possible. Even the Michell has shortcomings, not least of which is that they have to make it in two variants to accommodate different spindle designs.
5. See 4.
6. I bought one when they first came out. I'm never happier than when I'm listening to or playing music, but that's irrelevant here, isn't it?
It will be interesting to see your product when it is eventually created.
However, I assume many people prefer the weighted designs if their turntables can accommodate them.

ZaxZaxx

Mar 30, 2024
Visit site
It will be interesting to see your product when it is eventually created.
However, I assume many people prefer the weighted designs if their turntables can accommodate them.
I'm sure you're right - I use weights myself on turntables with good torque. This project is a very recent undertaking and lots of stuff fails at the design stage. This idea certainly might, but I'd rather see that happen than have it fail in the marketplace. Thanks for your interest.

RobSys

Jul 22, 2022
Visit site
I have had several clamps and weights and frankly I don't use any of them. I've not heard any difference when playing my records with or without a clamp/weight. Certainly Rega recommends not using them...
Perhaps there may be some benefit if the record is badly warped (and none of mine are) but even then I'd have my doubts...

I have had several clamps and weights and frankly I don't use any of them. I've not heard any difference when playing my records with or without a clamp/weight. Certainly Rega recommends not using them...
Perhaps there may be some benefit if the record is badly warped (and none of mine are) but even then I'd have my doubts...
Quite so. Although I have owned a Michell clamp when I had a Michell turntable and my current deck comes with on designed for it, they are not ideal.
They may serve some purpose in stopping possible slippage if using vinyl on a glass or vinyl platter but do little to help warped records.
No point in trying to reinvent the wheel when it was far from ideal in the first place I feel.
Clamps effect the centre of the LP whereas most warps effect the outer rim mostly.
Unless you come up with some sort of rim clamp there seems little point in it, in my opinion.

ZaxZaxx

Mar 30, 2024
Visit site
I've always felt they can work with certain kinds of music on certain turntables. Paradoxically they seem to work well or best on cheap turntables, despite being associated with audiophile products. There should be reasons for this, but I won't speculate what they might be unless or until I can measure them!

Reactions: Al ears

RobSys

Jul 22, 2022
Visit site
Mmmm maybe.... I know I used a clamp religiously with my old turntable - a Micro Seiki from the nineties - but I don't think I ever heard a difference between on or off... Certainly with the Rega P6/Ania it doesn't appear to be required. I've even tried the horribly expensive Origin Live Gravity One Record Weight (that's not a weight...) and returned it to the supplier because for the life of me I could not hear any benefit...

Reactions: DougK1

ZaxZaxx

Mar 30, 2024
Visit site
Oh dear! The world has no need of Shun Mook clones.

By contrast, here is, as they say, one I made earlier:

I'm currently working on a wider one based on a peanut butter jar lid. It was Waitrose peanut butter, so I'm expecting performance to be slightly better than average... :giggle:

Attachments

• clamp.jpg
    clamp.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 2

djh1697

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
I got a true point audio clamp for my Pink Triangle, some music it is different, other music I hear no difference. With some violin/piano/classical music there is a notable improvement in speed stability, and far less silabance type noises. I guess you might call it jitter in the digital domain?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts