Recommendation for no frills wired earphones.

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Hi all.

For years I've been using Bose Triport IE earphones. The outer sheath, right near the 3.5mm plug has split exposing the wires. I asked the service department at work if they could be repaired with heat shrink tubing but because of the size and shape of the plug on these earphones a piece of tubing big enough to go over the plug wouldn't shrink enough to actually work. So they currently have insulation tape wrapped around the split.
I'm looking for some wired inner earphones with no mic, no controls just do a decent job with music.
Do wired earphones still exist without mic & controls?
They will be mainly used with my Sony NW-A55L and my old Denon DRA-F101 mini separates system.

Thanks

Hi all.

For years I've been using Bose Triport IE earphones. The outer sheath, right near the 3.5mm plug has split exposing the wires. I asked the service department at work if they could be repaired with heat shrink tubing but because of the size and shape of the plug on these earphones a piece of tubing big enough to go over the plug wouldn't shrink enough to actually work. So they currently have insulation tape wrapped around the split.
I'm looking for some wired inner earphones with no mic, no controls just do a decent job with music.
Do wired earphones still exist without mic & controls?
They will be mainly used with my Sony NW-A55L and my old Denon DRA-F101 mini separates system.

Thanks
I'm sure there are plenty. A simple look in Tesco or other supermarkets would show that.
What's your budget?

Hugh Jarse

Jan 22, 2022
Visit site
....they could be repaired with heat shrink tubing but because of the size and shape of the plug on these earphones a piece of tubing big enough to go over the plug wouldn't shrink enough to actually work.
If they were mine and the plug was the the only obstruction to smaller diameter heat shrink.....I'd be removing it and refitting a plug - once the heat shrink was in place.

(Although, without seeing it, I can't imagine how heat shrink would get to a single side even once it was on the desired side of the plug).

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
If they were mine and the plug was the the only obstruction to smaller diameter heat shrink.....I'd be removing it and refitting a plug - once the heat shrink was in place.

(Although, without seeing it, I can't imagine how heat shrink would get to a single side even once it was on the desired side of the plug

(Although, without seeing it, I can't imagine how heat shrink would get to a single side even once it was on the desired side of the plug).

I was going to recommend anything by 1More but I see they now come with inline control.....
I'll give them a look. If I have to buy with inline control then fair enough. There are used Bose Triport IE on eBay but £150 plus. Not going to spend that on 10year+ old earphones.

Reactions: Al ears
I'll give them a look. If I have to buy with inline control then fair enough. There are used Bose Triport IE on eBay but £150 plus. Not going to spend that on 10year+ old earphones.
1More Triple Drivers are about £70, I have the Quad Drivers of old.....
That said I am sure there must be some by Sennheiser, Shure and the like that are excellent.
Sennheiser IE200 are about £114

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
My go-to for anything like this is Sony. You won't pay anything like your budget, but you'll get top notch performance.

If that's not for you, then I'd warmly recommend Sennheiser.
Historically I've always been a Sony user. I have a pair of on ear headphones and their budget wireless buds WF-C500 (that I initially ranted about on the forums because after buying them due to a favourable whathifi review, I thought they were garbage, sound no better that a £20 pair of eBay specials I bought for use at work but then I ran them in for a couple of weeks and the difference). Just recently looking through the usual UK retailers Currys, Argos etc Sony's wired earphones look like an afterthought now, as though even they are not that bothered about them. I could be wrong of course and they might sound good.

camcroft

I have the WF-1000XM3 earphones they have an excellent sound but the styling is a bit well they stick to far out just like you see people wearing Bluetooth ear pieces. For style I prefer the Cambridge Melomania 1+ as they fit into your ear in a lot nicer fashion. As mentioned by the OP he talks about wired earphones I have some Beyerdynamic Byron wired earphones they are nothing to look at but the sound is very good and they were not that expensive. I have quite a lot of wired earphones and the Byrons are my go to pair when it comes to wired earphones. RHA also made good earphones but they are no longer producing them.

matthewpianist

Historically I've always been a Sony user. I have a pair of on ear headphones and their budget wireless buds WF-C500 (that I initially ranted about on the forums because after buying them due to a favourable whathifi review, I thought they were garbage, sound no better that a £20 pair of eBay specials I bought for use at work but then I ran them in for a couple of weeks and the difference). Just recently looking through the usual UK retailers Currys, Argos etc Sony's wired earphones look like an afterthought now, as though even they are not that bothered about them. I could be wrong of course and they might sound good.

Like any large-scale corporation they are driven by market demand and dynamics, and Sony have always flexed sufficiently to remain fit for business. It's why they moved away from hi-fi separates when demand took a big dive. It's also why they ceased making VAIO - the range just didn't fit market conditions.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts