Recommendation for New Hifi

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've decided to ditch my aging Hifi I bought 26 years ago and buy a new CD, amp and floorstanding speakers. I've just started looking around and had a few demos, but got very confused.

I could spend up to 2k. My room is 4 x 4 m. I enjoy rock type music with a lively sound and plenty of bass.

After a few chats with local dealers and a brief read of magazines, I think I’ve identified the following to choose from so far:-
CDs
Roksan Kandy

Rega Apollo

Naim Cd5i

Marantz CD6002
Amps
Roksan Kandy

Naim Nait 5i

Rega Mira3 or Brio3

Rotel 04
Floorstanding Speakers
Monitor Audio RS6

Focal Chorus 714v

Focal Chorus 714v

I’ve listened to an Arcam Cd73 with a A70 amp and found the sound too laid back. I cannot get any Cyrus kit in the space I have in mind.

Can anyone recommend the best options listed above or have I missed some kit out?

The other problem I have is that I live in North Gloucestershire so may have a trouble finding a dealer with all the kit to listen to. I know the Marantz and Rotel gear is a lot cheaper than the others, but do I need to spend a lot more to get a better sound?

Any help much appreciated.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
[quote user="rozzy"]I enjoy rock type music with a lively sound and plenty of bass.[/quote]

I'd be tempted to go for the Naim CD5i, Naim Nait 5i and MA RS6 speakers. The Naim amp delivers rock with considerable verve, and will work well with the CD5i. Plus we've always admired the RS6 speakers for their ability to deliver rock-hard low frequencies with plenty of punch.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="rozzy"]I've listened to an Arcam Cd73 with a A70 amp and found the sound too laid back[/quote]

That was the amp,Not the cd player.The cd player is superb.the current range of arcam amps is very poor and none of them have any guts.Avoid. The arcam cd73 and the kandy amp go well together.The kandy having loads of punch and drive and the Arcam providing lots of detail.Its a combo that a local hi fi shop near me use often to demo speakers.I have heard it and its good. I would not get a kandy cd player.Its just not worth the money. I have heard the mon audio RS6's and they are excellent but mon audio combined with roksan can be a bit bright. You could maybe also consider B&W 684 floor standers.if your system is 26 years old, even buying the cheaper stuff like rotel and the marantz cd should give a big improvement, providing your old set up was not a high end one.

A

Anonymous

Hi andy, noticed you were on line and wanted to ask you a quick question- I have just bought a cyrus 8x cd player to be partnered with a pair of b&wcm2's, Im in the market for an amp and was thinking about the cyrus 6vs2 or the roksan kandy mk111, Im after a fast punchy sound with good detail, any suggestions welcome, cheers jimm.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
[quote user="jimm"]Hi andy, noticed you were on line and wanted to ask you a quick question- I have just bought a cyrus 8x cd player to be partnered with a pair of b&wcm2's, Im in the market for an amp and was thinking about the cyrus 6vs2 or the roksan kandy mk111, Im after a fast punchy sound with good detail, any suggestions welcome, cheers jimm.[/quote]

Hi Jimm

I'd keep the system all-Cyrus and go for the 6vs2 amp, which is an excellent piece of kit. The other advantage is that it's upgradeable, so if you want to further improve your system at a later date, you can easily do so.

A

Anonymous

If you find the Arcam too laid back, then the Roskan CD and Amp system sounds good for you. If you want to alot less than £2k, then the Rotel is a little more cheaper and is better suited to rock music, although it does lack quite a bit of power and if you want floorstanders, I wouldn't really recommend it.

The Monitor Audios are FANTASTIC 'speakers regardless of some comments being made about lack of bass (what rubbish!) I have never tried any Focal Chorus speakers so I can't help you there!

I am interested in what amp you already have because we can make asumptions at what sort of sound you like, but if you say "yeah i'd like an amp to be a bit more upfront than my current one" then we can make a more in-depth study.

Anyway, have fun!

A

Anonymous

- Yes and the Arcam amp is the cause of the gutlessness. It's a downright embarassment to the CD player which is, as stated, downright fantastic! It is not the most upfront cd player ever, but it sure is a hell of load more upfront than that awful amp!

A

Anonymous

Another option could be to buy some good bookshelf speakers, stands and a sub-woofer. I found the RS6s too muddy in the bass so went for the RS1s and a sub instead. It works very well and I'd recommend an audition.

A

Anonymous

My old Hifi comprised of an A&R Cambridge A60 amp with Mission 700 speakers. 7 years ago I replaced a Dual 505 turntable with a Marantz CD 63 Mk II Ki Sig. Over the last weekend the Cd player was retired due to malfunction. The amp has not been very well for quite a while, so I thought that I'd replace all.

As my old HiFi is so old and sounds terrible compared to some new systems, after a few new demos I still have not found my "base line" system to move forward on. I've had lots of recommendations for the Naim Cd5i and Naim Nait 5i. I believe these have been recently released, although I've not come across any updated reviews as yet. I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing going for a system right on the top of my budget?

A

Anonymous

Perhaps you should demo a slighter cheaper set-up that has been reviewed before and then you can go from there. I can tell you that what set-up you had was a very balanced one, the Cambridge amp would be quite "dry" wheras the Marantz is just edging onto the "warm" side of things. A good set-up for you to test would be:

**Marantz SA7001 CD player**
**Marantz PM7001 Amplifier**
**Bowers & Wilkins 685 speakers (standmount/bookshelf)
Bowers & Wilkins 684 speakers (floorstanding)**

If you were looking for standmount speakers then the 685s are good (with most set-ups) and the formidable 684s (floorstanders) are also excelent but are double the price. If you check out a set-up vaugely similar to this then we can work out a system which will be sonically perfect for you.

I think this would satisfy you if you liked your previous set-up's sound.

matthewpiano

The Naim combo is stupendous and is superb value for money. It will wipe the floor with the Marantz and Rotel kit and take you straight up to the point where you would have to spend a huge amount more to make significant improvements. Build quality, sound, reliability and long-term manufacturer support are all excellent with Naim and it makes for an all-round superb buy. In fact a Naim dealer I know has commented that the law of diminishing returns well and truly sets in beyond the Nait 5i and CD5i. I don't think you'll regret it, but you must audition it carefully first as its a considerable purchase.
I agree that Arcam amps are pretty uninspiring. The worst system I've had was built around an A65+ and it used to send me to sleep. The CD73 is a great piece of kit though.

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
For rock and metal music I would definately check out Exposure 2010s cd player and 2010s amp and partner with some B&W 685 speakers.

In my opinion better as good as sounding as the Naim kit as pre mentioned. for less money.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts